Running thread

Not feeling the running vibe this week (feel a bit woozy) and my knee is sore (probably from running on it last week when I shouldn't have), but I'll hopefully resume this weekend.
246...300..That's just nuts mate...!!
Got a week off (kinda) and London is looming so it's a good time to ramp up the mileage (even if it's just for one week!).

Fuck off Stuuu! I’m happy at 218!!

I run 8 minutes and under usually though aiming for 8:30 pace on the actual marathon, what you saying I should be doing per week?

Currently I do;

Monday 4-5 miles pace around 8 minute miles
Weds 7-10 miles around 8:15- 8:30 minutes
Saturday occasional 5k park run at 7 minute miles plus a warm up and down of 1.5 miles each way.
Sunday 10-18 miles, 8:30 pace.

Cheers for any advice.
If I can be brutally honest mate, I'm baffled by your approach to training! If your target race pace is 8:30, your LSR should be a lot slower - more like 9:30.

What's the rationale for all these different paces? Are any of them at threshold? Any intervals?

You can make yourself a lot faster if you make some simple adjustments to your training.
1) Weekly LSR should be in aerobic HR zones.
2) 1 threshold run per week for 20-40 mins (no more).
3) 1 interval session per week.
4) All other runs should be easy (aerobic) pace.
5) Strength training 2 or 3 times a week is an optional (but effective) extra.

Are you using a Garmin 235 or similar? I think that this is key to running in the correct zones.

If you're on Facebook, you're welcome to join my London Marathon training group where (mostly) good advice is given: https://www.facebook.com/groups/183684272425375/

If I can be brutally honest mate, I'm baffled by your approach to training! If your target race pace is 8:30, your LSR should be a lot slower - more like 9:30.

What's the rationale for all these different paces? Are any of them at threshold? Any intervals?

You can make yourself a lot faster if you make some simple adjustments to your training.
1) Weekly LSR should be in aerobic HR zones.
2) 1 threshold run per week for 20-40 mins (no more).
3) 1 interval session per week.
4) All other runs should be easy (aerobic) pace.
5) Strength training 2 or 3 times a week is an optional (but effective) extra.

Are you using a Garmin 235 or similar? I think that this is key to running in the correct zones.

If you're on Facebook, you're welcome to join my London Marathon training group where (mostly) good advice is given: https://www.facebook.com/groups/183684272425375/

Mate I honestly have no idea about any actual training, when I run I just go with how I feel that day. I guess with running 5k, 10k half marathons and training for my second full marathon I’ve just put mileage in at a pace I’m comfy with that day.
I’ve never got a real plan just off the cuff so to speak.
I’m not on Facebook and I’ve a Garmin 735XT for my Triathlon.
One of the lads at the group I run with was talking about heartzones the other week but it was after a 12 miler and I got bored easily.

What’s LSR?
Not sure about threshold training either.

I’m never fucked when I’ve finished my weekly runs, always feel then a little left in the tank.
If what I think you’re saying is run slightly slower during training, how will that help improve my times during a race?

LSR = long slow run. Once a week, it's important to do one of these.

Running in a lower heart rate zone (i.e. easy, conversational pace) improves aerobic fitness and therefore makes you a more efficient runner over distances. By doing most of your runs at this kind of pace (80% of your mileage is the usual recommendation) you will train your body to maximise the use of stored fat as fuel (as opposed to using consumed carbs) and you will also maximise the efficiency of your other runs throughout the week.

Threshold runs are 20-40 minutes at 'controlled discomfort,' i.e. the pace you could run at for an hour before you would have to stop. These increase your muscles' ability to flush lactic acid out of your muscles whilst running, meaning you can run at race pace for longer. These should be done once a week.

Since you like running fast, you could look at including some intervals into your weekly schedule. These are a great way to improve your overall pace. Again, no more than once a week.

Effective training for a marathon is very different to training for a 5k or 10k.

It depends on your pace mate. But the vast majority of runners should get nowhere near 20 miles when training for a marathon.

The evidence tells us that, once you go over 12 miles (yes, just 12), the benefit declines rapidly. There is some benefit but it's relatively negligible. And once you run for over 3 hours, you actually enter a zone of detriment - your fitness will worsen. This is because there is essentially no fitness benefit beyond this point but your body will take a significant amount of time to recover. This, in turn, will hinder your other training runs for the rest of the week (and potentially beyond). The long run is the most important run of the week, but it isn't so important that it should be to the detriment of your other runs. Aiming for a high cumulative weekly mileage with one of your runs as an LSR is the key to successful marathon training. This can be further supplemented by optional speed work and strength training.

So to look again at maximum LSR: aim for no more than 3 hours on feet in one go. This doesn't mean that you should be at, or close to, 3 hours every week though. Let's look at an average runner whose LSR pace is 10m/m. In three hours, they will run 18 miles. To have a faster LSR pace than this, you're typically looking at going under 3:30 for the marathon. So it will take a very fast runner with an LSR pace of 9m/m to cover 20 miles in 3 hours.

Thanks mate some great advice-I’ve decided to cut right down now as I’ve been hammering it by my standards the last four Sundays have involved the following 16 miles, 17 miles, 19 miles and then the 20 mile run on Sunday.

Definitely resting up and doing short runs my long runs were a psychological test I believe-just something I had to do.

LSR = long slow run. Once a week, it's important to do one of these.

Running in a lower heart rate zone (i.e. easy, conversational pace) improves aerobic fitness and therefore makes you a more efficient runner over distances. By doing most of your runs at this kind of pace (80% of your mileage is the usual recommendation) you will train your body to maximise the use of stored fat as fuel (as opposed to using consumed carbs) and you will also maximise the efficiency of your other runs throughout the week.

Threshold runs are 20-40 minutes at 'controlled discomfort,' i.e. the pace you could run at for an hour before you would have to stop. These increase your muscles' ability to flush lactic acid out of your muscles whilst running, meaning you can run at race pace for longer. These should be done once a week.

Since you like running fast, you could look at including some intervals into your weekly schedule. These are a great way to improve your overall pace. Again, no more than once a week.

Effective training for a marathon is very different to training for a 5k or 10k.

Thanks for that Stuuu

I agree regarding different training, if I just stuck to one distance it’d be easier!!

Rest now as I’ve a half on Sunday, will definitely take on board some of that advice.
Interval training sounds like a good idea, any recommendations for doing that?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.