Running thread

Thanks mate some great advice-I’ve decided to cut right down now as I’ve been hammering it by my standards the last four Sundays have involved the following 16 miles, 17 miles, 19 miles and then the 20 mile run on Sunday.

Definitely resting up and doing short runs my long runs were a psychological test I believe-just something I had to do.
You're welcome. Yes - make every third or fourth week a cutback week (with overall shorter mileage) so you can recover - and benefit - from all the hard work and avoid injury / burnout.

Thanks for that Stuuu

I agree regarding different training, if I just stuck to one distance it’d be easier!!

Rest now as I’ve a half on Sunday, will definitely take on board some of that advice.
Interval training sounds like a good idea, any recommendations for doing that?
Run fast for a bit then run slow for a bit!

Most coaches tend to favour either of these two approaches:

a) 10 x 400m (quarter of a mile)
b) 4 x 4 minutes

Take as long as you need to recover between each interval but aim to shorten this recovery time as the weeks go by.

At first, you might want to do fewer / shorter intervals until you get used to it.

Last edited:
Some great and varied advice here.
I've actually gone backwards since last year. It started in November when work increased, so running was intermittent.
I normally run every three days. So after Christmas i got back to it, but my times and breathing had taken a big step backwards. I wasn't too worried and thought it would come back quickly.
Well it didn't. I seem to remember somebody here suggesting running "every other" day to speed up my pace and distance.
Well that really didn't work for me. If anything i was slower and struggled more. I think "pushing it" was just taking too much out of me.

So i decided to start again and think myself as a new runner. I've slowed my pace right down to when i started running last year. I've gone back to every three days. I alternate between a 3k and a 5k. Things have started to improve in the last two weeks i've been doing it.
I think i'm going to try and include a much slower but much longer run. Two laps around Dovestones is 9k. The last time i tried to do this (last year) i ended up doing three laps. I'm not sure what happened, but after a certain distance, i just felt i could run as long as i wanted. I only stopped there because i was worried i might injure myself or regret it the day after etc!

It depends on your pace mate. But the vast majority of runners should get nowhere near 20 miles when training for a marathon.

The evidence tells us that, once you go over 12 miles (yes, just 12), the benefit declines rapidly. There is some benefit but it's relatively negligible. And once you run for over 3 hours, you actually enter a zone of detriment - your fitness will worsen. This is because there is essentially no fitness benefit beyond this point but your body will take a significant amount of time to recover. This, in turn, will hinder your other training runs for the rest of the week (and potentially beyond). The long run is the most important run of the week, but it isn't so important that it should be to the detriment of your other runs. Aiming for a high cumulative weekly mileage with one of your runs as an LSR is the key to successful marathon training. This can be further supplemented by optional speed work and strength training.

So to look again at maximum LSR: aim for no more than 3 hours on feet in one go. This doesn't mean that you should be at, or close to, 3 hours every week though. Let's look at an average runner whose LSR pace is 10m/m. In three hours, they will run 18 miles. To have a faster LSR pace than this, you're typically looking at going under 3:30 for the marathon. So it will take a very fast runner with an LSR pace of 9m/m to cover 20 miles in 3 hours.
Are following a Hansons plan Stu? This is exactly what they're advocating. By having a high volume week before your long run (max 16 miles) it's like simulating not the first 16 miles of a marathon but the last. Not having one super-long run every week, unlike most other plans, they claim a high volume spread out on six days is much better and reduce the chance of injury during training. I will try their beginner plan ahead of my very first marathon here in Oslo in the fall.

Are following a Hansons plan Stu? This is exactly what they're advocating. By having a high volume week before your long run (max 16 miles) it's like simulating not the first 16 miles of a marathon but the last. Not having one super-long run every week, unlike most other plans, they claim a high volume spread out on six days is much better and reduce the chance of injury during training. I will try their beginner plan ahead of my very first marathon here in Oslo in the fall.
Hiya DB.
No, I never follow a training plan (I would never stick to it with work and family commitments etc.). Instead, I just apply the basic principles of marathon training on the fly, as it were. But yeah, it's pretty much the Hansons method. High weekly mileage is what it's all about, but that should include one longer, slower run.
Good luck with the marathon. Training through the summer is gonna be tough! At least you'll have plenty of light though. I know it's a way off, but let us know how you get on - and feel free to give us a shout if you need any tips.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.