Injury Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pointless.... we have had an update and, no doubt, we will continue to get updates from the club on his condition/ recovery.
In the meantime. there is no point making assumptions regarding his return to first team footy. He is being treated by experts so any comments made from anyone here is just a waste of time.
Don`t panic, he`ll be back when he is ready. We will cope without him and with luck and care it will be sooner rather than later.

Sounds about right. I had a torn meniscus repaired in my 40's. Problem with knee surgery like that though is, IIRC, it has a lasting deleterious effect. Hopefully Ayme will be fine for many years though. My knee is (figuratively speaking) basically screwed now but I have got a few years on Laporte.
Yes my running has been ok since but lost some pace after the op and it still twinges every now and again.
I was told the key is to have strong quads around it which I'm sure Laporte will have in abundance.
Yes, with most instances of meniscus damage, it will degrade over time, regardless of the quality of “repair” (I use quotes because repairing menisci is nothing like repairing ligaments, and is actually more “cleaning up”) and with most non-elite athletes peak performance is impacted.

I’ve always been given the same advice about leg and, interestingly, core conditioning helping to reduce the rate of degradation.

Problem for me is I only have 75% meniscus in my right knee, so the rate isn’t great to begin with.

Did they give either of you estimates of remaining cartilage, just out of curiosity?

Always good to get comparison experiences.

I am having an operation on the 16th to repair a
Badly torn meniscus in my left knee. They actually called me this morning. I damaged it last year playing walking football and it was quite sore. Did that silly thing of ignoring it and still walking the dogs every day for between six to eight miles. As well as all the walking I do in general. My Garmin Fenix gps says I did almost 1700 miles walking from the time that I damaged it to when it totally went. Had a brace on it for a while that I bought myself and it was only in July that I was away and couldn’t walk at all and also damaged my bicep and shoulder that I went to the hospital. Torn meniscus and they have also found some kind of defect in my meniscus too. Walking with a stick at the moment and bloody glad that they are operating so soon. It’s really painful now. The consultant said I would have at least three months before I am back to where I was. I would be on crutches but I have also torn my bicep off and damaged the rotator cuff in my shoulder. I have that op to look forward to as well. That was just lifting something out of the car. Not even heavy. Heard two loud pops and that was that!

It's funny how the Manchester Utd Evening Echo news are portraying this.. it's horrendous news apparently.. nothing about it not being a ACL and being quite fortunate to what the alternatives were. Total click bait. What a ****** joke of a tabloid.

Also, having been looking at the Independant for the last few weeks and their blanket coverage of Liverpool we made the headlines.. Obvs Laporte injury is a major concern for Liverpool fans though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.