The whisky thread

Mancini Manus Domini

Not seen a whisky thread before so thought i'd start one.

Got into whisky as my late dad used to love it. He'd drink it as a chaser to a can of draught bitter. So I'd join him in it. Wasn't sure at first but grew to like it.

Jamesons was the whisky I first got into but these last few years i've really got into my single malts from Scotland. I love giving different ones a try. Of those I've tried I would say the best I've had is Benromach, which was recommended to me at whisky shop in Edinburgh, after I'd told them of another whisky I'd really enjoyed called Glencadam.

Anyone else got any recommendations?

As I have big birthday coming up early next year I may push the boat a little and spend a bit more than the £30 to £40 I usually do but which ones to go for?

Finally, I have a memory from being a young lad of a whisky I used to see in the old souvenir shop at Maine Road. It was high up on a shelf behind the servers and on it's label were City's 5 trophies we'd won. My dad being a blue I thought would love it ! When I was old enough I was going to buy it him but I regret never having the chance. Did anyone ever have the pleasure of drinking it?

Cheers

I cant be doing with Scotch...just cant do it. I love my Irish whiskies, obviously biased....i have been round quite a few but i always come back to good old standard Jamesons.

The caskmates editions are nice...but as well as Jameson i like:

Red Breast
Black Bushmills
Writers Tears
Teelings Small Batch

Have also been told by a few "experts" that anything older than 12 years is pointless...nothing really changes or improves after that

I cant be doing with Scotch...just cant do it. I love my Irish whiskies, obviously biased....i have been round quite a few but i always come back to good old standard Jamesons.

The caskmates editions are nice...but as well as Jameson i like:

Red Breast
Black Bushmills
Writers Tears
Teelings Small Batch

Have also been told by a few "experts" that anything older than 12 years is pointless...nothing really changes or improves after that

Jameson's IPA Caskmates was very welcome in my house for a while.

Can also vouch for Teeling, and Writers Tears (Copper Pot)

I tried a whisky called Spade and Bushel a few months ago in a pub and it was 57.5%. I actually couldn't think of anything to say for a while, lost a bit of brain function that day I think.

There are also some poorer choices - I don't get the fuss with Tullamore Dew. I also tried The Quiet Man from Derry. The worst I had was called West Cork - reminded me of a cheap blend that i'd drink when I was walking my nan's dog.

I'm a fan of Scotch but in Ireland it's cheaper to drink Irish, plus there is a lot to choose from.

You can thank me once you have worked your way through this list, always choose cask strength with a wee dribble of ice water or a ice cube

Glen Garioch
Talisker
Cao Isla
Lugavulin
Highland Park
Dalwhinnine
Laphroaig

You can thank me once you have worked your way through this list, always choose cask strength with a wee dribble of ice water or a ice cube

Glen Garioch
Talisker
Cao Isla
Lugavulin
Highland Park
Dalwhinnine
Laphroaig
Not keen on islay malts. Too much peat. A nice Speyside like a Balvennie would be my choice. Glenfarclas is nice too. Both would be a little easier for those getting into malts. I do agree with a tiny sprinkle of water. No more. An ice cube is too much imo.

I don’t like whiskey but tried a shot of old pulteney 25 yo at the weekend. For the price I hoped I’d like it, but it just tasted like whiskey :(

Wow. Ok. First of all...shush. Secondly, a shot...? Clarify this comment if you can.

Secondly 21 year old is where it’s at

Wow. Ok. First of all...shush. Secondly, a shot...? Clarify this comment if you can.

Secondly 21 year old is where it’s at
Yeah I’m no whiskey drinker at all but got sucked into the charm of the highlands and suddenly thought I would like it. Big mistake. Thankfully 21 wasn’t on the menu, just 25,18, 15 and 12.

This one. You'll thank me after.
4d23db8f8b9b20f9f54b91cf15984325.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.