Pep Guardiola - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time Pep pairs Gundagon and David Silva in midfield I fear that we will come a cropper. They played together at Wigan in the cup defeat and against Liverpool(a) and Lyon(h) in the Champions League.Those defeats were every bit as bad as tonight. Does anybody know if KDB and Bernardo have ever started together as our attacking central midfielders ? If not, why not ? Bernardo in central midfield against Liverpool last season was immense. 10 out of 10 for me that night but he has barely played another game for us centrally since that match.

Last edited:
Yes, I do think that manager's energy is reflected on the pitch. Pep himself, Klopp, Simeone and many other managers proved that. It's specially important when things get tough and players lose their heads. I'd rather play for usual Pep, Klopp or Simeone in those situations than for Woy or Mourinho on miserable day. Or today's Pep.

Pep is usually very lively on the line, specially in tight games and his energy is pushing players up.
They are top players,winners,if they can't motivate themselves now and then it's a poor show,pep has said the desire has to come from them

He has to share responsibility for today. Whatever the plan was it didn’t work. In the last two seasons we hav3 deserved to lose twice. Once at Chelsea last season, twice today.

Does anybody know if KDB and Bernardo have ever started together as our attacking central midfielders ? If not, why not ? Bernardo in central midfield against Liverpool last season was immense. 10 out of 10 for me that night but has barely played another game for us centrally since.
I looked this up at some point last season when I was becoming frustrated that they were never starting together in the middle, and I found that the only time it's happened was the 2-1 loss to Leicester in December when we were plagued by injuries and the only other available midfielder was Foden. I'd imagine Pep thinks they're too similar in style - maybe too direct to play together, if that makes sense. And there's also the issue of both of them preferring to play on the right side. Although I think a big part of why they didn't play together last season when Kevin was fit in the winter/spring was because neither Sane nor Mahrez were in good form, which kept Bernardo on the wing.

Last edited:
Love Pep but his reluctance to play or promote youth players is really starting to piss me off. Personally I think he is full of hot air when it comes to Foden.

Gundogan was excellent in the run in and one of the reasons we didn't miss much Ferna and Kevin. Remember Ferna missed many games since the end of February. Gundo signed a new contract recently. Foden will get his chances soon, don't worry about that. Gundo contributed more than him last season though and deserved to start the season ahead in the pecking order. These things are important when managing a squad full with quality and winners. But if Foden performs better, he will replace Gundo and Dave in the starting XI already this season.

Foden is still very young for a midfielder. Scholes didn't have a single start at that age and Iniesta wasn't doing better either.

Gundogan was excellent in the run in and one of the reasons we didn't miss much Ferna and Kevin. Remember Ferna missed many games since the end of February. Gundo signed a new contract recently. Foden will get his chances soon, don't worry about that. Gundo contributed more than him last season though and deserved to start the season ahead in the pecking order. These things are important when managing a squad full with quality and winners. But if Foden performs better, he will replace Gundo and Dave in the starting XI already this season.

Foden is still very young for a midfielder. Scholes didn't have a single start at that age and Iniesta wasn't doing better either.

He should have come on against Brighton and he should have started yesterday as we lacked any type of creativity yesterday in the first half. I love Pep as I said, but after 3+ years he has still not promoted youth. Yes Foden has played a handful of games but I expect more.

He should have come on against Brighton and he should have started yesterday as we lacked any type of creativity yesterday in the first half. I love Pep as I said, but after 3+ years he has still not promoted youth. Yes Foden has played a handful of games but I expect more.

Why do you expect Foden to play more than some of the greatest midfielders did at his age, especially given that City 19 are stronger than the teams for which those greats started to play? You don't really answer my post. Dave is captain and absolute legend, Gundo did more last season. Both deserve to start the season ahead of Foden in the pecking order. But this won't last if Foden plays better than them. You love Pep but you don't trust his decision making regarding the good of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.