Bernardo Silva tweet controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly think you're romanticising what it was like for many non-white people back then. My mate is in his 40s and grew up being called a "paki" by national front types and was forced to eat dog shit because they said that was the colour of his skin. People faced routine discrimination is housing, work, education and just about everything else. This is, I'm afraid, historical fact. That's before you even get to the civil rights movement of America or apartheid in South America, legacies of Europe's colonial history. Non-white people still face lots of discrimination, supported by racist images in the media. This was Sterling's point. Up until very recently the character Silva posted had a spear, ffs.

Not romanticising at all, just expressing my life from what I experienced

You don't think using the word "chinky" as a punchline isn't racist?

If you're referring to my post re: Sun Jihai, I was simply referencing that many thousands of Blues sang what could be deemed to be "racially stereotypical" songs with regard to his parents possibly having a chippy and him being Chinese - not a Thai.

The inference being....does that make all City fans who sang those songs (about a much loved cult hero) racists?

Thanks for response and I am not on this thread just to stir the pot.

I understand how the black community were perceived and treated all those years ago and would never condone to going back to those days. However, in the late 60s and 70s it was commonplace for black and whites to be exchanging "banter" and having a good old laugh about it. In the following decades, that banter has now become offensive to some - why is that, because I don't know

Do gooders

If you're referring to my post re: Sun Jihai, I was simply referencing that many thousands of Blues sang what could be deemed to be "racially stereotypical" songs with regard to his parents possibly having a chippy and him being Chinese - not a Thai.

The inference being....does that make all City fans who sang those songs (about a much loved cult hero) racists?

I would consider that song racist, yes. I think the world is more complicated than judging people in a binary racist/not-racist, but we should all think carefully about how our words and actions impact on the world.

I honestly think you're romanticising what it was like for many non-white people back then. My mate is in his 40s and grew up being called a "paki" by national front types and was forced to eat dog shit because they said that was the colour of his skin. People faced routine discrimination is housing, work, education and just about everything else. This is, I'm afraid, historical fact. That's before you even get to the civil rights movement of America or apartheid in South America, legacies of Europe's colonial history. Non-white people still face lots of discrimination, supported by racist images in the media. This was Sterling's point. Up until very recently the character Silva posted had a spear, ffs.
Good to see you're not taking the personification of a chocolate snack too far.

I would consider that song racist, yes. I think the world is more complicated than judging people in a binary racist/not-racist, but we should all think carefully about how our words and actions impact on the world.

Not saying people's words aren't important, but impact on the world. You are seriously over the top there.

So, by definition, the singing of this particular song, makes the singers of it racist?

Wow.

You're right then, there are some racist twats on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.