Bernardo Silva tweet controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the issue is cultural context which is being lost on us in the UK. If I had tweeted a picture of Sane and the Robertsons Jam Golliwog (if it is acceptable to use such a term but that was what it was called) that would be deemed racist as its no longer acceptable in this country to portray such images. In Portugal things are obviously different as they still have such characters on their packaging. Therefore Silva clearly has been brought up with such characters and clearly did not feel he was doing anything wrong but there are people in the UK who clearly think that this is wrong.

We would not be having this debate in other countries and that is the issue do we in the UK try and educate those from other countries to what what we think is right or wrong whilst they are here or are they allowed to bring their cultural values here and adhere to them provided they dont break any laws.
That's because this country is full of needy snowflakes

So... It's okay to call someone a 'P@ki, a Ch$#k or a N##ger to your mate, rather than think in your head 'I can't say that as its wrong'?

Okay, at least we're learning something today...
Listen pal you're coming across as stressed. Make yourself a brew, put your feet up and listen to this beautiful song and chill: )

Why can't we live together?

So when John Barnes says the tweet was not stereotypically racist why is he wrong?
“Why are they offended by that picture? I know the ramifications historically, I know about the cartoon, I know everything that goes on and about how black people are disenfranchised… the point I’m trying to make is we have to change the narrative.
“I should be able to look at a carton of a jet black man with big lips and not feel that is negative. Why do we feel that’s negative? Because historically that has been the narrative, but we have to change the narrative. Bernardo Silva and Benjamin Mendy are close friends off the pitch, having also played together at Monaco before joining Manchester City
“There are lots of black men who look that way, so we have to change the narrative of that being negative. We have to start saying, there’s nothing wrong about showing a cartoon, depending on the context of which you’re actually using it, of a black man with big lips, of which there are millions and there’s nothing wrong with that.
“I more than anybody else would tell you about the ills of racism and I’ll call out anybody about being racist, so I’m not defending any kind of racism. I’m talking specifically about this incident.”

https://talksport.com/football/6071...r-city-bernardo-silva-twitter-benjamin-mendy/

For every John Barnes' ideology, there's a Raheem Sterling reality.

john barnes hang your head in shame (thats show biz) quote ??, if liverpool go on to win the league its ok

For every John Barnes' ideology, there's a Raheem Sterling reality.

Only read the last couple of pages for updates, but in those, you have used various racist terms (with asterisks), compared the tweet to a rape discussion (weird analogy) and encouraged eugenics.

You seem to be making far more disgusting statements then you are indicating in the initial Bernardo tweet.

As someone stated, have a brew and clear your head, you are not coming across too well at this point in time.

Only read the last couple of pages for updates, but in those, you have used various racist terms (with asterisks), compared the tweet to a rape discussion (weird analogy) and encouraged eugenics.

You seem to be making far more disgusting statements then you are indicating in the initial Bernardo tweet.

As someone stated, have a brew and clear your head, you are not coming across too well at this point in time.
I'm well, thanks for your concern.

Probably when this shit is breeded out out people in future generations that racism and class warfare is bollocks.

And I'm not even sure I'm kidding.

Hmm, I wonder what response you would get if you posted that kind of ideology on twitter.

You don’t breed racism out of people. You educate them. The vast majority of people are not racist.

Bernardo posted an ill advised tweet. It isn’t directly racist, yet some people are trying to make out that it is. They have applied further context that wasn’t present in the message to become offended by it. Those people need educating as much as Bernardo does.

Racism needs calling out wherever it rears its ugly head. What doesn’t help is shouting racism where it isn’t present or where it could be if you assume what is meant.

LOL!!

If wishing people took a dislike for racism and fed that information to future generations of their lineage, then I'll take the accusation of 'sinister' eugenics!

It's not me that needs to clear their head.

Pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.