The "let's talk" thread

I look at life In general through an optimistic viewpoint but find as I get older I am less tolerant of most people sadly. Working directly with peoples problems and behaviours is rewarding but takes its toll on your own health. Am learning to be more selfish but it doesn't come naturally.

I have cocktail of issues that i find hard to overcome. I broke my leg when I was 13 and it has never recovered which had overlapped with finding out my Mum has MS and hopelessly watching her deteriorate.

After years of putting up with it I have become depressed. I struggled in college and dropped out of uni because of it.
The GP prescribed me an anti depressant but they made me so numb inside which was already becoming an issue on its own. I’d listen to people telling me the problems they have themselves and no matter how sad or even if I can relate it triggers no emotion for me. I hate the person that I’ve become.
I used to desperately want to be in a relationship thinking it was what i needed but now I don’t. What I would want from a relationship I know I couldn’t give in return and so i have no intentions of one. Plus im an ugly F*ck

I started believing these last couple years that my family would be better off without me. It got to the very dark stage where I would walk the canal for hours, trapped inside my head with my worst demons, tears down my face, hating myself for feeling so selfish.

I lost our beautiful house three years ago, forced to sell up because my freelance business was not bringing in the type of money it used to. We bought a smaller house around the corner so the kids weren't forced to quit their schools, and with the equity the sale released, we were at least able to put a decent chunk of money in the bank.

The sense of guilt and shame was enormous.

Having money in the bank didn't change a thing.

I became more and more depressed, sleeping two hours a night, lying in bed with the anxiety of what groundhog day would inevitably bring.

Essentially, I had a complete physical and mental breakdown, 25 years of working for myself, the daily grind of supporting a family and starting every day from absolute scratch, a media industry changing quicker that I could possibly keep pace with.

My self-esteem was at zero, supplemented by overeating to try and make myself feel better for a while at least, putting on nearly four stone and hating what was staring back at myself in the mirror, a complete and utter hatred of the pathetic man I had become.

I don't really have many friends, I work in isolation from home and would go days without speaking to anyone or actual human contact, outside of my wife coming home and asking how my day was, waiting to unload on her.

My young kids would walk around on eggshells and my wife just kept on saying something needed to change. After one particular moaning she just burst into tears and said we couldn't go on like this, she had reached her limit.

I had spent so long talking about all the things I couldn't change, how I'm not qualified at the age of 45 to start all again, even though I despise what journalism has become, still a slave to earning a living from it.

I've been with my beautiful wife since she was 15 and yet 26 years later, she has always had my back, I just didn't appreciate what I do have going for me.

My doctor had previously tried to prescribe me beta-blockers to control my general anxiety disorder, supposedly because my cortisol levels were always through the roof because my body was always in fight or flight mode, owing to my high state of readiness, even when danger was far away.

I vowed to my wife I would "try" to get better and the next day I booked an appointment with the nurse at the surgery, she always seemed to have a friendly face.

I told her everything and said I was just "sick of fighting myself every day" and she gave me a hug and could see how much I was hurting. She referred me to Trafford Self Help Therapies for CBT therapy and, after a few weeks, got myself a counsellor.

This amazing woman stripped me down, making it so easy for me to tell her my deepest thoughts and fears. How I had conditioned my mind to have automatic negative thoughts, thinking I was protecting myself from harm by isolating myself.

How I can't say no to anyone, always going out of my way for everyone, needing to be liked, even if it compromised myself. Having a father, more through his generational thoughtlessness and complete lack of emotional intelligence, who had fat shamed me from an early age, even though I wasn't that big, just not perfect.

Setting myself up for failure, time and again, an all or or nothing attitude, nothing in between.

My therapist helped me to identify my qualities, a completely impartial observer. How she "admired" my drive every day to get up and start work at 5.30am every day from the age of 16, but there comes a point when something will give.

I was given a different way of looking at things, from an intellectual level, working backwards and using my previous experiences of bad situations to inform me that things invariably worked out okay, so there was no need to sweat the the things which happen in the interim?

I finished 12 months of therapy recently and can maybe see I wasn't ready previously to change at other similar periods of my life.

This year was about working on what was going on inside my head and improving my physical state. I went back to the gym, every day, I've lost nearly three stone in two months, no meat, no alcohol, no sugars. I'm almost back to my prime weight of 12 stone and I am sleeping like a baby.

I am still not sure what my future job prospects are like, I feel the world has moved on a lot and don't quite know where my place will be in it.

All I know is that I am enjoying meeting new people, playing squash, bench pressing 100kg, feeling like my life isn't just passing me by. Next year I will put myself out there to try and work out the next career step.

More importantly, my wife has got back the man she has always loved, she just loves me a little bit more for trying to "fix" myself.

This was very hard for me to share, but if it can give a glimmer of hope to anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation, then it will have been worth it.

I've stopped caring about the things I cannot change.

Peace and love, Blues.x

Wow Tolm.
Remarkably similar to what I went through (though I won't get the missus back as she's moved on).
I had low level depressions for quite some years, but never called it that...I was just way off match fit, sartorially dull and insular...but looking back...yup, was depressed. Finally had a bout of CBT after visiting the GP and that helped somewhat...but that was just the starter as a year later i hit rock bottom.
What I will say though is that the event/breakdown in the end was perhaps exactly what I needed....I've lost an awful amount through it but gained a lot of self confidence, compassion and much more. The confidence thing is probably it's greatest gift. I'd suffered since young with shyness, but oddly many thought I exuded confidence.
Now I care far less what people think. I was a massive overthinker...neat and tidy freak, OCD and that's been a huge revelation. I could only talk to people at parties I had a fair bit to drink (that small window before you get too drunk to talk).
I'm struggling with this intense course I'm doing as there's a lot of work and it's very tough, add in my austic daughter who takes up an awful amount of energy and it's hard sometimes. But yeah...the gym - I use this for the fitness, the social side and the fact I can start listening to music again...missed that.

Hopefully early next year I'll move out the family home and get my own place - that's going to be emotionally tough as I love being my round my young son (I have two daughters btw) but should mean I can perhaps get some female company which I'm probably missing a bit.

Thanks for sharing Tolm (and everyone) and your second to last line about not caring is pertinent to me. Good luck with the career step - although I'm fighting the learning process, the sharpening of the brain should never be understimated, just as you do your muscles in the gym. 100Kg eh? Skills...!

BTW - although I've hit a bit of a low recently I'm generally a very up person and writing all this amplfies the lows somewhat. You can some out of all this a hell of a lot stronger.

I have cocktail of issues that i find hard to overcome. I broke my leg when I was 13 and it has never recovered which had overlapped with finding out my Mum has MS and hopelessly watching her deteriorate.

After years of putting up with it I have become depressed. I struggled in college and dropped out of uni because of it.
The GP prescribed me an anti depressant but they made me so numb inside which was already becoming an issue on its own. I’d listen to people telling me the problems they have themselves and no matter how sad or even if I can relate it triggers no emotion for me. I hate the person that I’ve become.
I used to desperately want to be in a relationship thinking it was what i needed but now I don’t. What I would want from a relationship I know I couldn’t give in return and so i have no intentions of one. Plus im an ugly F*ck

Thanks for your post. It's been a slog for you, anyone would be fed up after those fortunes - you're human, not an emotionless machine.

All i'd ask is for you to try and be nicer to yourself - you deserve that.

Very brave post from Tolmies hairdoo,well done that man.I had built up a quite positive image in my mind from the valuable snippets of excellent transfer news over the years,none of us know what is really going on in people’s lives.
10 years ago we were facing an IVA application due to unsecured credit card debts of £47k,court cases etc...
The day Mark Hughes was appointed in 2008 I was off work trying to talk to the credit card companies to work out a payment plan and so naive to even think they gives a toss about harrowing personal debt,which was 100% our own fault.
I was put on hold for ages and then passed around so many times,there was no one able to help me with this issue,I started crying like a baby we had reached rock bottom and was scared so much about the mess we had got ourselves in.
Fast forward to January 2010 when we had to put the IVA to a creditor vote,thankfully it was passed and we learnt a huge lesson.There is always hope however dire you think your straits are,in the last 10 years a parent passed away and my partner was diagnosed with early stage Alzheimer’s within 6 weeks of each other.They are cycles in life,am quite proud of our bounce back ability to deal with these situations and put down to part of life’s rich experiences.

Wow Tolm.
Remarkably similar to what I went through (though I won't get the missus back as she's moved on).
I had low level depressions for quite some years, but never called it that...I was just way off match fit, sartorially dull and insular...but looking back...yup, was depressed. Finally had a bout of CBT after visiting the GP and that helped somewhat...but that was just the starter as a year later i hit rock bottom.
What I will say though is that the event/breakdown in the end was perhaps exactly what I needed....I've lost an awful amount through it but gained a lot of self confidence, compassion and much more. The confidence thing is probably it's greatest gift. I'd suffered since young with shyness, but oddly many thought I exuded confidence.
Now I care far less what people think. I was a massive overthinker...neat and tidy freak, OCD and that's been a huge revelation. I could only talk to people at parties I had a fair bit to drink (that small window before you get too drunk to talk).
I'm struggling with this intense course I'm doing as there's a lot of work and it's very tough, add in my austic daughter who takes up an awful amount of energy and it's hard sometimes. But yeah...the gym - I use this for the fitness, the social side and the fact I can start listening to music again...missed that.

Hopefully early next year I'll move out the family home and get my own place - that's going to be emotionally tough as I love being my round my young son (I have two daughters btw) but should mean I can perhaps get some female company which I'm probably missing a bit.

Thanks for sharing Tolm (and everyone) and your second to last line about not caring is pertinent to me. Good luck with the career step - although I'm fighting the learning process, the sharpening of the brain should never be understimated, just as you do your muscles in the gym. 100Kg eh? Skills...!

BTW - although I've hit a bit of a low recently I'm generally a very up person and writing all this amplfies the lows somewhat. You can some out of all this a hell of a lot stronger.

Thanks for sharing mate, seriously.

I can certainly recognise some of the traits, the OCD, the desire for perfection, that feeling to make yourself more interesting to people you do not know, having that glass of Dutch courage.

It's only through the last couple of years I have come to see I have been in low fog for well over a decade, which makes me angry, as my kids are growing in front of my eyes, doing tremendous things and my inability to live in the moment.

City win the title, I can't enjoy it - too busy worrying about not winning it next year!

The overriding message I have taken and hopefully can share with anyone who has similar trials, is the need to be kinder to yourself, to treat yourself with the same compassion as you would others.

It's easier said than done when you have trained your brain for so long to pick out every fault, believing your situation is unique.

It is only when you seek help, you sadly discover that it is all too common.

If you or anyone else ever need just to chat shit or City, to get away from the four walls, I am never more than 40 minutes away from Town.

I mean that. Even that WorsleyWeb ;)

I know it's a cliche but prevention really is better than cure.

If you feel like you are headed for something, there's a decent chance you are, but you've also got the power to change course. Start looking after your mental health now and at the very least you might be able to deal better with a crisis point if it happens, if not avoid it completely.

Mindfulness is incredibly popular right now and because of that some people write it off as a fad, but I will say it has helped me a lot and it sounds like it would be good for what you're describing - letting go of small nagging things that bother you and not letting them build up.

And because it's the popular thing it's incredibly accessible, theres loads of great apps, books and online resources.
Been a massive game changer for me, I find meditation in general is massively misunderstood in the west, the benefits are phenomenal.

Mindfulness is incredibly popular right now and because of that some people write it off as a fad, but I will say it has helped me a lot and it sounds like it would be good for what you're describing - letting go of small nagging things that bother you and not letting them build up.

And because it's the popular thing it's incredibly accessible, theres loads of great apps, books and online resources.

If there's anything in this thread I'd like to recommend as well it’s mindfulness and meditation.

I lost one of my closest friends to a previously unknown heroin addiction a few years back. It was devastating in all the normal ways losing a close friend far too young is, but the fact that I didn't know what he was going through, and didn't help, drove me to a pretty dark place for some time. He was one of the nicest, most genuine, people I've ever met, successful in my same line of work, and above all else, very normal... except of course for his secret addiction. I spent a long time searching back through our texts and emails, wracking my brain for red flags that I had missed, that maybe he had been trying to tell me in some way but I had been too oblivious to notice the signs. I thought maybe he liked to drink a little too much, but wouldn't have guessed what his actual issue was in a million years. It was a really difficult time. From that, I developed severe anxiety for a period and a paranoia that this sort of thing not only could happen again, but would happen again and was right around the corner, someone I loved could have a secret that they needed help with, or also drop dead from another unbeknownst illness.

Therapy helped, and has continued to help, but the breakthrough for me, for whatever reason, was mediation. Meditation helped me put an end to my brain spiraling out of control into dark places, and empowered me to take a mental break whenever I need and have a few minutes to spare. I personally use an app called "Calm", but there are many like it and I encourage anyone with anxiety, or who feel as if their thoughts can get away from them at times, to try it out. I was skeptical prior and now try to practice mindfulness most every day.

I don't really know what the purpose of sharing that was, but try it out, all you have to lose is a few minutes. Hopefully it helps.

Does anyone ever feel that they're just heading for an inevitable mental breakdown one day? My life is good really. I'm healthy. I love the people around me. I don't mind my job at all. But I find it harder every single day to deal with all the bullshit that surrounds us. I'm 34 and it feels like with every passing year I get more cynical and more world weary. Really nagging feeling that it'll overwhelm me one day, despite things being good really. It's weird. I appreciate that's vague...but I just feel tired, ya know?

Edit - Tolmie's post above me. Yeah, I feel like im heading for that one day. Sorry to hear that mate.

Worth being conscious of the fact that today's instant access 24-7 constant feed of news news news across a range of platforms and sites/channels, and the need to repeat and report even when there are none, where opinions on news are given as much importance as the news themselves, contributes a lot (imho) to a general underlying feeling of unease. Which raises tensions and can affect and amplify real worries, or where none might exist, creates the right atmosphere for them to creep in. Reminding oneself of that, can't hurt.

Every year on New Year’s Eve my mum rings me and says “I hope this new year finally brings you a bit of happiness and luck”.
I’m 49, twice divorced and currently trying to hold my third marriage together but it’s like sand running through my fingers.
I work for the NHS as a band 2 support worker and my wife and I just can’t seem to earn enough to get by. We moved into our first bought (instead of rented) home this time last year and it’s turned into a bloody money pit! The boiler died in October and a new one was not something we could afford so had to get a loan, then we found we had a leak in the pipe work which cost us another small fortune to find and repair and involved ripping up the laminate floor. The bill for that work I just can’t pay!
To add to that my dad is in and out of hospital (10 times so far this year) and is currently in Preston hospital after yet another operation and he’s looking like this might be one operation too many - he’s very weak and frail from Parkinson’s. His BP is constantly low and he’s at risk of a stroke or heart attack. He and my mum are so skint that I’ve just had to sell his mobility scooter for them to raise some cash!
I’ve had depression and anxiety for years and have only recently got out of a huge trough that nearly killed me but I can feel myself slowly heading that way again. We can’t pay the mortgage this month, plus add the loan for the boiler, plumber fees and Xmas and it makes me want to cry.
I’m trying to keep my mum positive and tell her dad will be ok, he’ll be home for Xmas etc but I’m struggling to believe it. And if he does get home he’s going to be immobile.
I can’t feel positive about anything right now. I don’t even look at City scores!!!
I turn 50 next May and my life looks like a fucking disaster. It’s so easy to do the “woe is me” bit at times like this and I try really hard not to but I’m finding it harder every day to hold myself together and try to be strong.
My ex wife left me 10 years ago for a wealthy man and she told me I earned crap money and would never give her the life she wanted. Years later and I can’t even take my wife out or buy her something for Xmas, and holidays are things other people do...
I look at my life now, how miserable my wife is and can’t help thinking it could happen again. Everything just seems to be going fucking wrong. I’m picking up bank shifts on my days off when I can but but it’s just not enough.
Not sure where I’m really going with all this, but after today I just needed to say it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.