As Things Stand...

Chillwell would be a good buy due to HG status - Always difficult to find English players that are good enough to get in the team. Lucas Digne is another LB who would do well for us. A decent LB frees up Zinchenko to play midfield (or move on).

I think we might go for another striker in the summer. I assume that Aguero will go in 2021 but we might try to avoid having to get one in at the same time he leaves. I think we will be sniffing about this summer, if for no other reason than to start the ball rolling on the 2021 efforts. If we do find a striker this summer than maybe Sergio might leave - it might suit all parties where he could get a last big pay day and we would get a fee. Gabby has done enough to suggest he should have a shot at first choice.

We need to get back to the level of transfer dealings when we got Kun, David ,Fern and Vinny. Not sure we can ever match that but we have made many signings that fall well short.
In recent years I wouldn't say we have made many/any mistakes really. I guess the big one is Mendy but his injuries were hardly self inflicted and he wasn't a sicknote when we bought him.

Chillwell would be a good buy due to HG status - Always difficult to find English players that are good enough to get in the team. Lucas Digne is another LB who would do well for us. A decent LB frees up Zinchenko to play midfield (or move on).

I think we might go for another striker in the summer. I assume that Aguero will go in 2021 but we might try to avoid having to get one in at the same time he leaves. I think we will be sniffing about this summer, if for no other reason than to start the ball rolling on the 2021 efforts. If we do find a striker this summer than maybe Sergio might leave - it might suit all parties where he could get a last big pay day and we would get a fee. Gabby has done enough to suggest he should have a shot at first choice.

I'm not sure I'm emotionally ready for Aguero, Silva and Fernandinho all to possibly leave in the same summer. I think I'm only just coming to terms with the fact we won't see Silva in next years kit

In recent years I wouldn't say we have made many/any mistakes really. I guess the big one is Mendy but his injuries were hardly self inflicted and he wasn't a sicknote when we bought him.
If we have made a mistake it was not buying enough, last season not buying a DM, this season not buying backup CB, but Pep has been a canny lad nearly all his buys can be called experienced, and they are less likely to be failures,pretty sure our failure rate obviously depends on you own view but i think it has gone from 2/3 before Pep to 1/3 under Pep

So we saw many people say in the summer we didn’t need a defender only to see it go spectacularly wrong for us and yet we’re remarkably still seeing just as many people say we don’t need a silva replacement when he leaves.

Kdb gundogan Foden and Bernardo able to move inside for two positions is almost exactly the same situation we had in the summer with the cb’s.

One injury, let’s say to kdb given his record and we’re down to the bare bones, we will have 3 players for 2 positions, (ring any bells?) what’s more, two of those players would still be needed in other positions, (gundogan in dm and Bernardo right midfield) and the other is a kid that’s inevitably going to need breaks during the season.

The only instance where we don’t need a silva replacement is if Bernardo is moved inside permanently and we bring in another winger instead (on top of potential replacements for outgoing players I.e Sane)

unless that happens, we absolutely need a silva replacement.

Zinchenko is never in a million years good enough for our midfield.

He has done an admirable job at LB but is nothing more that a squad player and if we do sign Chilwell, Mendy will depart and Zink will become back up.

Last edited:
So we saw many people say in the summer we didn’t need a defender only to see it go spectacularly wrong for us and yet we’re remarkably still seeing just as many people say we don’t need a silva replacement when he leaves.

Kdb gundogan Foden and Bernardo able to move inside for two positions is almost exactly the same situation we had in the summer with the cb’s.

One injury, let’s say to kdb given his record and we’re down to the bare bones, we will have 3 players for 2 positions, (ring any bells?) what’s more, two of those players would still be needed in other positions, (gundogan in dm and Bernardo right midfield) and the other is a kid that’s inevitably going to need breaks during the season.

The only instance where we don’t need a silva replacement is if Bernardo is moved inside permanently and we bring in another winger instead (on top of potential replacements for outgoing players I.e Sane)

unless that happens, we absolutely need a silva replacement.
Well you got there eventually Bernardo is Silva`s replacement and Foden the back up, pretty sure Pep will sign an attacking player to take Silva`s squad quota, but it will probably be a player that can play wing/striker regardless of the Sane situation

Well you got there eventually Bernardo is Silva`s replacement and Foden the back up, pretty sure Pep will sign an attacking player to take Silva`s squad quota, but it will probably be a player that can play wing/striker regardless of the Sane situation

From the comments, there’s not many suggesting that will happen, they’re simply saying Foden steps up and we go in to next season which would somehow be more farcical than the situation we allowed ourselves to get into this season with the cb’s.

Anyway, I’d hope that’s the case, we all believe Bernardo is much better there and it allows us to add some more badly needed pace into the team out wide regardless of Sane’s situation

We need to get back to the level of transfer dealings when we got Kun, David ,Fern and Vinny. Not sure we can ever match that but we have made many signings that fall well short.

Are we ignoring then KDB, Bernado, Laporte and Ederson? the only thing separating them from the 4 you named is time at the club

I don’t believe Bernardo is Silva’s natural replacement in LM, as he has always been a right sided player. Foden fits that slot more naturally, but one has to wonder if he has the full trust of Pep as a regular starter. Maybe, with another year of growth and development, he will have earned the trust. I hope so. Regardless, we are in no position, as it stands, to lose Bravo, Otamendi, Silva, Fernandinho, Sane and Aguero over the next two seasons...and that’s before anyone decides that Gundogan is getting too old, Mendy is too fragile and Angelino/Zinchenko are not good enough to be steady left sided back ups to whomever plays LB.

Muric, Garcia, Harwood-Bellis, Poveda, Bernabia, Doyle and Braaf are all players who will get Cup time and possibly get some PL bench time, with a cameo here or there. The hope, though, is that Pep will see enough in at least a few of them, to allow them to break through and save us millions. We only know them because we have seen them play, and play well, so one can only hope they can become the homegrown backbone of City 2023/24...with the current world class foreigners, and a few others thrown in to keep us as one of the best teams in the world.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.