Bring the Noise

Always said the day they introduce megaphones/drums/trumpet etc is the day I stop going!

If last night is the future, I'm afraid its the beginning of the end for me ! Cringeworthy !

Anyone stopping going because of this needs to have a word with themselves. If you don't approve, fine, but that's an overreaction IMO

Always said the day they introduce megaphones/drums/trumpet etc is the day I stop going!

If last night is the future, I'm afraid its the beginning of the end for me ! Cringeworthy !
The issue is that people, like myself, find it Cringeworthy when you can hear the players on the other side of the pitch communicating.

The traditional British atmosphere is GONE. Modern stadia and fan oppression has seen to that. The only consistently decent atmospheres across the whole continent, but specifically within the UK use some form of ultras support (drum/megaphone/capo).

We’ve developed this snobby attitude of ‘I’m too cool to sing, I’m too cool to do the Poznan, I’m so bothered about my half time pint I’m going to head to the concourse on 35 mins’, ‘I’m more interested in scrolling through twitter whilst the games on’.

Because our support isn’t as good as it should be, our support as a whole has developed this defeatist attitude. Let’s not bother, let’s sing about empty seats as a laugh. Let’s video ourselves on the concourse whilst the games on. Let’s shoot down anyone who does something different too the rest of the sheep - hundreds of years of British culture has taught us to blend in and not take risks.

We need to step out of the comfort zone to change things. You might not like how the drum/megaphone was used last night, but with a few tweaks it could get better and you might not hate it as much as you think (at first impressions).

Give me a cringeworthy bunch of nutters going mad for 90 minutes over apathetic support any day!

yes Southampton at home perfect example. It can be done.

Noticed jrb you mentioned palace relocated, I did see on tv that they had around 500 singers in one block and one capo running the songs. He didn't have a megaphone, probably cant afford one ! Joking apart they sounded good and carried on their songs longer, its not rocket science and we know what it takes.

Just as everybody has taken paracetamol now calmed down from the drum, how would fans feel if at the end of this season two thirds of 115 was cleared and made a clean slate. All fans that wanted to go in the area ( or stay in there ) had to re apply in some sort of organised way to guarantee all are season card holders and singers. Before everybody calls me a c*** any singers and hard core city fans already in 115 like us lot would be guaranteed a place. We would go through this exercise purely to move out non singers and day trippers. Day trippers out and singers in SS3 / Kippax and any other areas could move in.

This has never been mentioned before, but as a starting point what are the thoughts or can somebody come up with a different plan ?

I think we all know what it takes, rather than going round in circles lets have a new plan.

It's a good idea but is it workable?
How do you prove you're a singer?

I think anyone taking up a space in 115 who isn't a singer needs to do the decent thing and move next season.
Perhaps the club could give some kind of priority in the relocation window to anyone who falls into this category.
Maybe you could leaflet the entire block with the message 'if you don't sing you're not welcome here - do one'.
I presume you'd be more tactful than me, but the message needs to be driven home.

I know you're doing your best and I am supportive so don't take the following remarks the wrong way...

Surprised that we had a drum and megaphone last night as the atmosphere was as flat as I'd ever heard it.
What with the performance on the pitch and the quiet crowd I was pretty down on the way home.
I could hear people at the front of 115 trying but nobody was joining in.
I actually do join in (clapping and singing (not very loudly if I'm honest)) from 105.

... keep going, there are hundreds of us that appreciate what you're doing. I'm pretty sure you'll get there.

Yesterday was my first match at the Etihad and the experience was fairly enjoyable.

The game on the pitch wasn’t very good which no doubt had an impact on the atmosphere. However, I did notice there was quite a lot of people dotted around the stadium that were standing up and trying to get the atmosphere going - hats off to them for doing so.

I don’t know the seating arrangements at City but it would make sense to have everyone who wants a better atmosphere grouped together with the 1894. The bigger the numbers the more will join in. The more people who feel associated with a group leads to a better atmosphere. The location could be better though, behind the goals opposite the away fans would be the best area, but again I’m not in position to know if that would be feasible.

It is a wonderful stadium. It just seemed dead. It needs a bit of energy sparked into it.

A bit early doors yet, but City could filter fans if a new singing section was being introduced, when Safe Standing is brought in.

City are great at sending out email questionnaires. We’ve all had them.

So a new singing section questionnaire shouldn't be too difficult.

Obviously it would start off with the basics.

Are in favour or against a new safe standing swinging section? Those against, would then be discarded as potential fans who would be allocated a seat in the new singing section.

Do you sing constantly, occasionally or never? And so on.

Are you prepared to stand for 90 minutes in the singing section? And so on.

Would you be bothered by a megaphone, a drum or both? And so on.

Do you stay until the end of the match or leave early. And so on.

Etc, etc, etc.

I appreciate these are pretty basic questions, and people can lie just to get into any new singing section, but they would give the club a better chance of allocating a place in any new singing section to fans who want to sing.

For all the negative comments on here, the indisputable fact is that plenty more fans joined in when the megaphone was used, whereas when it wasn't it was fucking hard work getting any chants going from the front of 116.

Exactly. It 100% worked and had a positive effect in the ground. That’s all that matters.

I wouldn’t be bothered by some of the negative comments on here. The same posters moaned when we did the poznan, banners, organised a singing section.. lots of the same people who sit in silence.

I remember a few years ago a group of young people tried to get something going and were ridiculed on here.

Keep taking it to games and more people will move towards your section. The traditional English atmosphere people on here keep banging on about is dead, so anything to bring some noise back. Rather that then complete silence, which is what we have now

Maybe they want fans to show some emotion other than

Jesus tonight. Lighten up FFS.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.