Cruises

No bingo then.......

Thankfully not and if people wish to play Bingo then that is there prerogative but there is a time and a place for everything with some things best left on land.

JR19Icx.jpg

We've done 4, 2 with Cunard, 1 with Royal Caribbean and a Celebrity one. We enjoyed the Cunard ones the best, yes it's formal but I don't mind that, much better than the hybrid you find on some cruises where some people are dressed in dinner suits and others in shorts. Celebrity was very good but wouldn't bother with Royal Caribbean again (it was an older ship and showing it's age).
We went around the Caribbean on 3 and the Med on 1. Personally I didn't think the drinks packages were worth it, we wouldn't drink enough to justify it (for reference maybe a bottle of wine with dinner, couple of cocktails and maybe a couple of pints in the day), and I would think carefully on booking the ships excursions as they are expensive.

We've done 4, 2 with Cunard, 1 with Royal Caribbean and a Celebrity one. We enjoyed the Cunard ones the best, yes it's formal but I don't mind that, much better than the hybrid you find on some cruises where some people are dressed in dinner suits and others in shorts. Celebrity was very good but wouldn't bother with Royal Caribbean again (it was an older ship and showing it's age).
We went around the Caribbean on 3 and the Med on 1. Personally I didn't think the drinks packages were worth it, we wouldn't drink enough to justify it (for reference maybe a bottle of wine with dinner, couple of cocktails and maybe a couple of pints in the day), and I would think carefully on booking the ships excursions as they are expensive.

The karaoke above was on the queen Vic mate and it was as formal as you wished it to be. It even had a cracking pub we went in every day called the Golden Lion for the quizzes and were on the Johnsons team who was an ex military bod and took us under his wing. Pretty intelligent lad to be fair but we concentrated on the general knoledge side of the things so made a winning team. I guess you enjoyed the afternoon Fish And Chips served in the Lion everyday which we never missed. Maybe give Royal Caribbean another shot A.J as the Independence Of The Seas is a cracking boat and obviously less formal than the Cunard line. It had a giant shopping mall and surf flow riders and excellent cabaret and entertainment. It also had one of the largest "at sea" ice rinks where they put on top shows. We thought the drink package worth the money saving us a kings random. No local alcohol served here but all main branded drinks and the Martini cocktails were amazing pre dinner were we bullshitted our way though the formalities like ardent semen.

Carnival Corporation, the world’s largest luxury cruise operator, emitted nearly 10 times more sulphur oxide (SOX) around European coasts than did all 260 million European cars in 2017, a new analysis by sustainable transport group Transport & Environment reveals.[1] Royal Caribbean Cruises, the world’s second largest, is second, yet four times worse than the European car fleet. SOX emissions form sulphate (SO4) aerosols that increase human health risks and contribute to acidification in terrestrial and aquatic environments.[2

Fuck cruise ships.

Thankfully not and if people wish to play Bingo then that is there prerogative but there is a time and a place for everything with some things best left on land.

JR19Icx.jpg

I always like to print your photos out and draw a face on them as I fancy myself as a bit of a police sketch artist.
Meeting you face to face was highly educational and as a result I was able to significantly improve my renderings to the point that I am comfortable sharing them with family and friends by displaying some of my better attempts on the walls of my house.

Never been with MSC but have heard they're good in some ways and not so good in others.
Friends of ours are currently doing a 117 night World Cruise with them I haven't heard how it's going yet.
I've been with Princess cruises, Royal Caribbean, Carnival and P&O.
Not keen on Carnival or P&O but like the other two, Royal Caribbean being my favourite. The food on both ships is excellent as is the service.
Your tips are good but people should bear in mind that's a lot of cruise ports are in cities and towns so they can simply walk off the ship and leisurely stroll around town enjoying the atmosphere of an entirely new place.
We did this with all the recent Port days in last week's cruise of New Zealand.
In Auckland for example the cruise ship stops right at the bottom of Queen Street which is the main shopping street in Auckland, many ports are likethis and you don't need a ship's excursion to enjoy your day.

Yes you’re right about the excursions. I would try to find out if they’re really giving you value as like you said there were many ports where you can get off and have a pleasant day walking round the town. I think it’s worth doing a bit of research as the excursions aren’t cheap.

117 night cruise is massive. That’s a long time for your friends to be away.

A few Brits we met in the cruise said MSC were the worst cruise company they’d sailed with. If you didn’t get off the ship at port there was no entertainment, no quizzes, lectures or anything to do but drink by the pool. Dinner in the evening was very small portions etc. I would definitely go on a cruise again but it would be with some other company,

I always like to print your photos out and draw a face on them as I fancy myself as a bit of a police sketch artist.
Meeting you face to face was highly educational and as a result I was able to significantly improve my renderings to the point that I am comfortable sharing them with family and friends by displaying some of my better attempts on the walls of my house.

That's not my head our kid as it's been heavily photo-shopped and also I don't have a beard as my chin/parts of my sid's remain barren and all that proliferates without a Harry are copious amounts of bum fluff. However on a more positive note I sing like a canary and thankfully on life's journey we all possess certain talent's do we not. My wife commented many times on your condversational nuances and pleasantries all the way home and said you would make an excellent after dinner speaker. I am sorry I could only afford you a short window to chat as I had to share myself with strict 5 minute intervals as there were others waiting.

Last edited:
we did a Caribbean cruise with RC last year on Harmony of the Seas. It was excellent but quite expensive. Do you know if the yanks pay much cheaper prices that us Europeans ? There were some quite large American families who must have paid an absolute fortune for cabins with their 3 or 4 kids and 2 adults.....I convinced myself many of them couldn’t afford it if they were charged similar rates for cabins as us.

best things imo were upgrading to ‘the key’ which gave a few perks equivalent to diamond club members; expedite embarkation, and first off at ports, better seating at shows...a few other benefits which made it worthwhile (as a first time cruiser).
The shows were all great. We took the premium drinks package....but noticed they were selling this half price on day one on board. We booked excursions in advance and got the discounts, so I would also recommend that.

trying to decide where we go next....quite fancy a Singapore cruise to coincide with the F1.
If you are in the states you can get last minute cruises for rock bottom prices... the transfers cost the money.. the same apples if you live near Southampton I guess..

I have been on 4 cruises and just booked one for Caribbean for Jan 2021.Depends what company you book with but dress code usualy very imformal but can dress up for the "Formal" or "Captains night. Excursions booked through the ship are usualy very well organized but expensive .Loads of places can just do your own thing .American ships you have to pay 10% gratuity fee .Meal times, most ships have snack bar from 10am till 6pm buffet style restaurant plus select dining room .you will soon suss out best time to go .If it busy they give you a buzzer so wait in a bar and they will buz you .on sea days round the pools it can be busy but again just suss out best time to have a dip .plenty of sunbeds all round the ship.Marella Cruise (Formally TUI & Thompsons) are all inclusive plus tips. MSC also all inclusive .other ships you pay for a drink package. Marella are a lot les informal but staff are brilliant and entertainment is great .Loads of agencies Planet Cruise ect might give you a better deal than booking direct .if you want more info just PM me

MSC are not an all inclusive cruise operator.

They do currently have an offer where booking a certain cabin grade gives you a premium drinks package for free, but alcoholic drinks aren't included as standard.

I'm going on one of their ships (Fantasia) at the end of March for a 4 night jolly with some mates. Got it dirt cheap and has some interesting stops in Italy.
Seen people complain that MSC is more geared up for other European nationals due to it's Med roots, but tbh that's absolutely fine by me....couldn't think of anything worse than being surrounded by utter gammon types on a P&O boat (anyone who saw the flag waving video the other month will understand)

I went on a cruise once..(not around Platt Fields Lake on that big fuck off pleasure boat fing)

Anyway I got off at one of the ports for a look around, tour etc and some local busy **** was following us slagging us all off. I was going to knock the daft **** out but he looked weird and a proper not right.

Have any of you been on a cruise and would you recommend it? Where etc?
On my 22nd cruise in February on the P&O ship Azura sailing the Caribbean.

Recommendations
  • Places - Caribbean for winter weather and a laid back atmosphere, Baltic for all the fascinating countries, Norwegian Fjords for the sheer beauty.
  • Companies - (1) Cunard, classy and traditional, (2) Celebrity, beautiful ships, (3) P&O, as English as you can get, (4) Royal Caribbean, fun all the way, (5) NCL, numerous dining options and no formality, (6) Princess, US version of P&O, (7) Voyages to Antiquity, Pricey but all inclusive including choice of tours in each port, (8) Fred Olsen, don't bother.
  • Food - All cruise lines have a wide range of eating options, if you can't find something you like then you are too fussy.
  • Tours - Can be expensive but also can be brilliant, book with the cruise line and the ship will never sail without you.
  • Entertainment - Plentiful and very mixed in quality, even the rubbish ones are trying their best so just sit back with your favourite tipple and have a laugh.
  • Staff - Have never had a complaint about any, treat them with respect they are not getting paid a King's ransom after all.
  • Drinks - By far and away the best priced are on P&O charged in pounds sterling, other cruise companies charge in US dollars and add 15% to the bill which is scandalous.
  • Drinks Packages - Extortionate try to find a cruise that throws them in as part of the deal.
  • Sea Sickness - Only happened to me twice on my first cruise through the Bay of Biscay and on Fred Olsen in the Canaries that ship (Braemar) was very unstable.

I love the fact that you go to bed at night and wake up in a new place (country) the next morning, you take your hotel with you and are not living out of a suitcase like used to happen when my wife and I did numerous tours in the USA.

One more recommendation if you just want to have two weeks doing sod all and being looked after. The double Transatlantic crossing on QM2 is absolutely brilliant and not overly expensive. We went last August and had a great time. First week we were entertained by the English National Ballet who were superb, also had a passenger airlifted off by the Canadian Coastguards and sailing into New York in the early morning past Lady Liberty is a magical experience. Second week there was a film crew on board filming a movie called "Let Them All Talk" and we got to see Meryl Streep, Gemma Chan, Candice Bergen, Diane West and Lucas Hedges - you could also volunteer to be an extra if you were that way inclined. The ship is the only true Ocean Liner and you hardly know you are moving she is so stable, there is a Planetarium on board and two theatres that are used for shows and "Insight Lectures" so you are never bored.

I never for a moment thought I would enjoy a cruise but after my very first one I was hooked.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.