UEFA FFP investigation - CAS decision to be announced Monday, 13th July 9.30am BST

What do you think will be the outcome of the CAS hearing?

• Two-year ban upheld

Votes: 197 13.1%
  • Ban reduced to one year

Votes: 422 28.2%
  • Ban overturned and City exonerated

Votes: 815 54.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
After the events of the last few days I cant help but think that City have made a huge strategic error. Apparently we were offered a way out of this with a technical breach and small fine. (Similar to the Fifa case). By refusing to negotiate it seems we have pushed UEFA to go nuclear with us.

Even if the ban is overturned by Cas this doesnt clear us and its my understanding we have to carry the fight on in Swiss courts(?).

Even if we are eventually cleared which is far from certain the reputational damage of the ban and potential future case with UEFA is enormous. Pretty much the whole footballing world has heard Manchester City are cheats for the last few days and will narative will continue and wont stop even if we win the case. It will turn to, 'well what did you expect when they can buy the bsst lawyers'

Wouldn't it have been sensible to take the fine and carry on as normal. Who would care apart from Johny from Liverpool on twitter.

By taking this risk we have potentially affected our ability to compete for the next 3 4 years but also will forever be known as cheats. We can all argue with internet warriors till we are blue in the face but the label will surely affect out ability to attract commercial sponsorship and grow our fan base in the developing football markets such as India, China and the US.

So what happens in a few years time they make up we broke the rules again? Need to kick it in to touch now

After the events of the last few days I cant help but think that City have made a huge strategic error. Apparently we were offered a way out of this with a technical breach and small fine. (Similar to the Fifa case). By refusing to negotiate it seems we have pushed UEFA to go nuclear with us.

Even if the ban is overturned by Cas this doesnt clear us and its my understanding we have to carry the fight on in Swiss courts(?).

Even if we are eventually cleared which is far from certain the reputational damage of the ban and potential future case with UEFA is enormous. Pretty much the whole footballing world has heard Manchester City are cheats for the last few days and will narative will continue and wont stop even if we win the case. It will turn to, 'well what did you expect when they can buy the bsst lawyers'

Wouldn't it have been sensible to take the fine and carry on as normal. Who would care apart from Johny from Liverpool on twitter.

By taking this risk we have potentially affected our ability to compete for the next 3 4 years but also will forever be known as cheats. We can all argue with internet warriors till we are blue in the face but the label will surely affect out ability to attract commercial sponsorship and grow our fan base in the developing football markets such as India, China and the US.
By accepting a small fine we are branding ourselves as guilty again.

That would have a dramatic impact on the reputation of the club to willingly accept f we believe we are innocent,

That depends on how confident City are with their case.

If we can prove that the Etihad payments (the vast bulk of the UAE sponsorship) is in accordance with contractual agreement and was effected by the UAE state, not Sheikh Mansour, then why should MCFC accept any further fine and sanction? The hawks behind this only care about wrapping City in legal battles hoping that when Guardiola goes we will struggle and will be done with.

I was having a chat with a united friend and he wasn't taking the piss really just saying what if pep leaves, what if this happens, and my answer was, I don't give a fuck, wouldn't give a fuck if they relagated us to non league, because it would be worth it watching everyone else shit it as we got nearer and nearer back to the premier league, it would be like a fucking horror film for them, fuck em all.

Above all though I want our name cleared, once and for all
Always rags coming out with these comments 'what if, what if, what if'.

I genuinely think it stems from the fact that they choose to support United for glory, I didn't choose City, I was born in to it so whatever happens I'll enjoy the ride. If United were relagated they'd probably stop supporting them.
Firstly, f*ck off Simon Stone.

Secondly, "it was anticipated he would activate it should City fail to win their appeal" - anticipated by who, knobhead?
By Stone, the fat prick.

Geez, another forum member who works for UEFA and has personally seen all the relevant documents.

Nah, if it gets overturned we just carry on.
People have got short memories, murdering fans hasn’t hurt lfc long term, juventus came back from match fixing.
We’ll likely never be accepted into the inner circle, winning things is the best way to fight them.

It is difficult to discuss City's appeal because we don't really know what the club has been found "guilty" of but it seems more than likely to have been inflating the value of sponsorship deal and/or disguising owner investment as sponsorship income. I would welcome what enlightenment our ever reliable expert, Prestwich_Blue can give on this. The point seems clear, however, that UEFA is acting as a governing/regulatory body acting in the interestes of ... "the game" to ensure fair competition and the financial stability of ... well, who exactly. This appears to me to be an area where UEFA is obviously extremely vulnerable indeed. I think CAS must consider evidence in the area of sponsorship very seriously but I'm sure the ECJ certainly would. UEFA cannot claim, and must not be allowed to claim, that they are acting as a governing body in the area of sponsorship. Yesterday we heard the opinion of a learned counsel that the process followed was a complete denial of due process and this is a serious contribution but he also argued that there is no precedent for UEFA judging "fair market value". But UEFA is not a competent body to judge or pass sentence in such matters since it is not acting as a governing body but as a commercial competitor. UEFA's CL has a long list of sponsors and it does not allow any club to use any other sponsor on CL occasions. UEFA has negotiated these deals wit commercial enterprises and has put itself in a very advantageous position to negotiate them. A commercial rival may not then pass judgement on the value of another enterprise's sponsorship. Is UEFA sponsored by Etihad?!! Do any airlines sponsor UEFA?!! Either way UEFA is a commercial rival not a governing body.

But he is the Deputy PM of the Government? so while he may not be a direct executive or shareholder he does have a vested interest in Etihad as a company. Let's be honest here SM has been in a position to inject cash into Etihad, hasn't he? now as long as he didn't inject that cash from ADUG then there shouldn't be an issue should there? although that is technically exploiting a loophole. In my opinion, what City is defending here is a technicality, whether they will win their appeal on that basis I don't know but let us all be sensible here the UAE has several big organizations that have strong links to the Government of which SM is the Deputy PM.

I don't doubt for one minute that SM has injected cash into Etihad but where that money came from is the problem along with the unraveling the complexity of government business.
Mansour is not a member of the gov, the Executive Council. He sits on important quangos and is a member of the royal family. The title of DPM is honorific.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.