COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it looks like the U.K. is at the equivalent of day 6 on that lower graph. We already know that Italy took decisive action too late and that research in China has suggested they could have avoided a significant % of cases if they had implemented their controls a week earlier. I don’t understand any justification in delaying a close down one day longer. Travel restrictions, work from home, schools and colleges shut. We need them in place by the weekend.
We don’t know where we are because so few tests are being carried out on people claiming to have symptoms. The relatively small number of deaths so far suggests that we’re at the early stages but we have very little idea of how many people have the virus.

Thing is, The wording from the WHO was they If it was a flu it couldn’t be contained. But this one could.

there must be a scientific reason for it.

Maybe tests are not accurate enough to distinguish between 1 flu and another.

Really not sure.
Yes that is puzzling, but my take on it is that flu could also be contained if we took the draconian measures already seen, closing down communities, shutting people in theIr homes and even welding the doors shut. It's just we've never done that with flu. And never could because the expected mortality could never justify it. So flu always has to spread uncontrolled whereas in these unprecedented times, we do have the possibility of containing COVID-19.

They heard it from me, lol.

Possibly lol. Was at the Post Office for a whinge about my collections service when a woman i know who works at the kids school walked in and was talking to the counter staff and i overheard her.

Soon find out.

We don’t know where we are because so few tests are being carried out on people claiming to have symptoms. The relatively small number of deaths so far suggests that we’re at the early stages but we have very little idea of how many people have the virus.
just basing it on declared cases by day mate so we kind of do. Our daily trajectory is similar to all other countries that have this, the only difference is the start day. The only change to a trajectory seen is where that country takes drastic action like China and South Korea. We are currently 2 weeks behind where Italy are now.

So it looks like the U.K. is at the equivalent of day 6 on that lower graph. We already know that Italy took decisive action too late and that research in China has suggested they could have avoided a significant % of cases if they had implemented their controls a week earlier. I don’t understand any justification in delaying a close down one day longer. Travel restrictions, work from home, schools and colleges shut. We need them in place by the weekend.
We all believe so, the powers that be think differently unfortunately.

Yes we should be acting now.

But we have a Government of ideologues who lack empathy for those they govern and who in truth probably lack the competence to address this problem correctly.

This is going to get very nasty and the NHS will not be able to cope.

Thing is, The wording from the WHO was they If it was a flu it couldn’t be contained. But this one could.

there must be a scientific reason for it.

Maybe tests are not accurate enough to distinguish between 1 flu and another.

Really not sure.
They can definitely identify the different types of flu in tests. I think WHO said this virus could be contained but - as I interpreted it - it would need drastic action, effectively people staying away from each other so the virus cannot be passed and therefore "burning out".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.