COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
And BTW, to anyone under 40, fit and healthy thinking "Well I will be OK", bear in mind this. The official figures have your chances of dying at 0.2% - two people in 1,000. However, this has been calculated as a percentage of ALL cases, including those for which there is no outcome yet. Not the proportion of those who have recovered. And some of the active cases will also die. So the 0.2% is woefully understated since very few cases yet have outcomes. Furthermore, if you do get seriously ill, your chances of survival are good, provided you have access to the proper intensive care and ventilator equipment. If the NHS doesn't have any (and on current course, it won't), then you're fucked. So again, the 0.2% is woefully low. My guess it will be 5x that at least. We are going to see lots of fit and healthy young people dying over this, IMO needlessly.

There’s probably tens of thousands of people if not more who have/had it and it’s not going to be accounted for in % like that.

Honestly the numbers mean nothing now, we know it’s going to be widespread. The only number important now unfortunately is the total deaths one.

We won’t see lots of fit and healthy people dying from this.

I don’t think there’s been 1 death of anyone under 40 in Italy for example.

Ministers had previously resisted calls to ban large-scale gatherings even though some major sporting events including the London Marathon and all Premier League matches have already been postponed

A Whitehall source said: "Ministers are working with the chief scientific adviser and chief medical officer on our plan to stop various types of public event, including mass gatherings, beginning next week

"We will publish this legislation next week

The UK's chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance had previously said while it is "eye-catching" to order the cancellation of mass gatherings and sporting events, the chances of contracting the disease by attending such occasions are slim.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson had faced criticism from some experts as well as former health secretary Jeremy Hunt who questioned the decision not to cancel large gatherings

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-ten-more-die-after-positive-diagnosis-11957525

They really ballsed up this part of the plan,now it has been taken out if their hands by the sporting bodies themselves they are wasting time bringing in legistation to be able to ban what is not taking place anymore
Remember if they had their way we would all be going to every sporting event still

There’s probably tens of thousands of people if not more who have/had it and it’s not going to be accounted for in % like that.

Honestly the numbers mean nothing now, we know it’s going to be widespread. The only number important now unfortunately is the total deaths one.

We won’t see lots of fit and healthy people dying from this.

I don’t think there’s been 1 death of anyone under 40 in Italy for example.
2 39 year olds died in Italy yesterday. One had underlying respiratory issues, one had diabetes.

the short term business case for the government's strategy is unanswerable at least then ;)

Assuming there was an economic angle, and let’s face it there is always an economic angle, then yes. But as a nation we didn’t follow the Govts strategy so I reckon the economy is heading for the toilet quicker than the Govt bargained for.

Ministers had previously resisted calls to ban large-scale gatherings even though some major sporting events including the London Marathon and all Premier League matches have already been postponed

A Whitehall source said: "Ministers are working with the chief scientific adviser and chief medical officer on our plan to stop various types of public event, including mass gatherings, beginning next week

"We will publish this legislation next week

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-ten-more-die-after-positive-diagnosis-11957525

They really ballsed up this part of the plan,now it has been taken out if their hands by the sporting bodies themselves they are wasting time bringing in legistation to be able to ban what is not taking place anymore
Remember if they had their way we would all be going to every sporting event still

Plenty of events are still taking place though. Concerts, rugby, non-league football etc

I suspect the weather will slow it down to some degreee. I was looking at Thailand which was on about the same level as the UK. They haven't really taken many measures and it is now miles behind the UK with less than 100 cases and one death.
hahahahahahahah
good one fella
my wife is thai and works here in our NHS,she watches all thai you tubes and tv station religiously ,she dosen't trust the thai government same as i dont trust ours
quarantines incoming any day for most europeans there including UK nationals
the thai's would say or do anything to protect themselves,from a 1 on 1 fight in a bar to national security

Hundreds of members of the scientific community have sent two open letters to the British government, voicing their concerns about the response to the coronavirus outbreak.

One comes from 198 academics in the field of maths and science, calling for urgent measures of social distancing across the UK.

It says: “Going for ‘herd immunity’ at this point does not seem a viable option, as this will put NHS at an even stronger level of stress, risking many more lives than necessary.”

Another letter has been signed by 164 behavioural scientists. It raises concerns about the idea of “behavioural fatigue” – the idea that if the public are instructed to take preventative measures too early, they’ll eventually revert back to prior behaviour.

The letter suggests that this has been a cornerstone of British government policy on coronavirus and sheds doubt on the evidence behind this.

“While we fully support an evidence-based approach to policy that draws on behavioural science, we are not convinced that enough is known about ‘behavioural fatigue’ or to what extent these insights apply to the current exceptional circumstances,” it says.

“If ‘behavioural fatigue’ truly represents a key factor in the government’s decision to delay high-visibility interventions, we urge the government to share an adequate evidence base in support of that decision. If one is lacking, we urge the government to reconsider these decisions,” it ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.