COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to bang on about this, but I am just really, really puzzled as to WTF has gone on here in the UK.

One month ago or more, we could see this coming. We had our original plan A which was to allow it to swiftly move through the population with a fucking humungous peak and widespread carnage. Quickly replaced by the plan B which everyone else in the world is following, of trying to suppress the virus as much as possible in order to save lives. Thank God!

But my point is that both plans anticipated a fucking great big peak. Either the first humungous one, or the one we are facing now. We saw how China had to build hospitals in 1 week to try to provide capacity. And we saw that 2 months ago.

Why are we only hearing over the last day or so about plans for makeshift hospital facilities at Excel London and elsewhere? Why did we not ask Dyson and others to get ventilators made and fucking sharpish, back in February? How come we didn't say to the supermarkets "In March, you are going to need 10x your online delivery capacity, so get ready". The supermarkets are all fucked, because they had zero notice of all of this. All of this smacks to me of too little, too late and a complete lack of foresight, or at the very least of pro-active, preparatory actions.

We've all banged on about the utter insanity of not shutting airports, allowing uncontrolled numbers into the UK without checks, of mass events still taking place etc. But that's really a seperate point. All of that make this impending surge in demand even more nailed on, and even bigger. And yet we seem to have little to prepare for it. I just cannot get my head around it.
You are probably right but hopefully the lessons learned this year will become hard policies and procedures and training and facilities and organisational accountability for future years.

Didn't the minister on Newsnight say April? (Maitlis tried to pin him down on when in April but he was saying other manufacturers are also "ramping up".) If I've got it right, Dyson are being paid for 10,000, giving us another 1,000, and giving other countries 4,000. Let's hope they're quieter than his hand dryers. Unless the design mostly uses parts they use in their other products, it would be remarkable if they source the components that readily. And how many can you get in an air-freighter from Malaysia?
Yes those were the numbers.

Regards air freight, there will be much more air freight capacity than manufacturing capacity, so that's not really a problem. The bottlenecks will be the latency in setting up the production lines and then the line capacities. We'll be able to fly them over as fast as they can make them.

I only hope people here will not overreact when/if today's figures are higher than expected.
I suspect they will be mainly due to yesterday's figures being lower than expected, and the time they were counted over etc.

You are probably right but hopefully the lessons learned this year will become hard policies and procedures and training and facilities and organisational accountability for future years.
Wouldn't it have been nice if we were told in February, "Don't worry, we WILL have enough ventilator capacity, since under the XYZ emergency planning procedures established following SARS, we have 19 manufacturers on permanent standby to build extra ventilators and we will have 50,000 available by March 31st." And "We are today starting build of new hospital facilities at Excel London to cater for any conceivable peak and this will also be ready by March 31st". "So stay at home, stay safe, but we will have sufficient capacity and no-one will die unnecessarily".

Keep your chin up pal.
My youngest lad was stood down for a day from his job at Argos but has now been asked to go and help out at Sainsbury's.
He wasn't massively keen,however he's gone this morning,at least he'll be helping at a place that offers an essential service.

Thanks we are coping ok , I am struggling the most due to depression but am ok . I am pleased my employer, local town council has seen sence and is keeping us away from work so we are ready for emergency work. Just worried for my lad as both he and us cant see how selling push bikes is important at this time, we can only guess that a large % of front line staff cycle to work. We dont come out of self isolation till the 5th April by that time so much might have changed.

Judging by the low number of customers in our local Sainsbury (including those who walk out when there are no toilet rolls) I'm thinking most of the extra staff being taken on will be to cover for when the regular staff have to go off with it or self-isolating.
I passed a tongue in cheek comment to my missus yesterday she used four squares of bog roll to wipe her jack& Danny after a piss I said there's a four foot bath towel there use that and save the bog roll she replied yes and there's a three foot bin liner that will have your clothes in you ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.