UEFA FFP investigation - CAS decision to be announced Monday, 13th July 9.30am BST

What do you think will be the outcome of the CAS hearing?

• Two-year ban upheld

Votes: 197 13.1%
  • Ban reduced to one year

Votes: 422 28.2%
  • Ban overturned and City exonerated

Votes: 815 54.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot can change in 25 years but the feeling of loss of prestige and certainly the loss of serious revenue never changes over time so it should now be asked why clubs, especially Everton, and others who were banned from Europe for five seasons, did not launch compensation claims against Liverpool following the behaviour of their supporters at Heysel.

It was a different era back then I suppose, and clubs just took it on the chin. Competing in UEFA’s flagship tournament wasn’t the money-spinner that it is today either. I’m sure if Heysel and the ban on English clubs had happened in the present day, it might well be a different story.

A lot can change in 25 years but the feeling of loss of prestige and certainly the loss of serious revenue never changes over time so it should now be asked why clubs, especially Everton, and others who were banned from Europe for five seasons, did not launch compensation claims against Liverpool following the behaviour of their supporters at Heysel.
Well, it was 35 years ago and tbh football was a very different sport in the administrative and financial sense. It was in a deep depression following on from Bradford and Heysel within weeks of each other. Crowds plummeted over the next few seasons and I suspect there was a feeling that Liverpool FC should not be held totally accountable for the actions of some of their supporters, especially given the crumbling shambles that was the Heysel Stadium itself and the insane allocation of tickets that led to both sets of fans being in the same section of terracing. Also the ban on English clubs wasn't just down to Liverpool fans, there had been a succession of incidents in Europe over the years involving supporters of English clubs, Heysel was just the culmination of that.

The last I recall, the ECJ told the Bosman Lawyer to go through the Belgian courts, exhaust that process & then appeal to the ECJ.

I know City didn't want to be the catalyst which brought down FFP & UEFA/G14, but in my mind we have absolutely nothing to lose by going nuclear against the lot of them.

Surely this course of action is on City's agenda?

I would think that City's agenda is about reform. We have tried to "play the game" with FFP & UEFA/G14 but it has not worked and only encouraged them. Now those who have played a major role in the agenda against City have been flushed out into the open, not just in UEFA but also in the Premier League.

If it can be proven in a neutral, open court that individuals or parties are guilty of colluding in a vendetta against City and also manipulating not just the rules but are engaged in influencing outcomes and results of games then the chickens will really come home to roost. They will be exposed to potential charges of corruption. City can be seen as cleaning up the game and UEFA and PL can put their houses in order. Other authorities can take appropriate action, legal or otherwise. Whether City or CFG would bring any actions is another matter. We want football to flourish and grow and not to kill the game.

So my take on the City agenda is
1- to be exonerated from all charges of breaching FFP,
2- shenanigans by UEFA, Football Clubs, media, organisations and individuals to be exposed,
3- appropriate action taken to clean up the game and make it honest and transparent

I guess the G14 agenda continues to be for a closed shop run by them for them.

Coronavirus will affect all walks of life including football so a good time for review and reform.

That's the point. He's desperately trying to avoid that very thing happening. UEFA is two organisations effectively. It's a bureaucracy, which organises competitions and supposedly enforces the rules and regulations that it's enacted itself. And it's also a member driven organisation, with a cabal of self-serving clubs at the centre who seem to be able to direct and control the enactment and enforcement of those rules and regulations and the structure and format of the competitions. Ceferin has little effective control but he wants to steer the least damaging course. That's not an option anymore though. It's all-out war now.

That's why Soriano said what he said, about not having any beef with UEFA. He was making it clear that our battle wasn't with the bureaucratic bit but with some of the member clubs.
Ceferin also stated that the Investigatory and Adjudicating panel were completely independent of UEFA.

A distancing move?

I think it is. In fact I'm sure it is. I completely understand the point @mayo31 made, as we've seen no concrete action from City as yet. But the mood in Abu Dhabi is very ugly. Their honour has been trashed and the good names of people like Khaldoon and the Sheikh have been dragged through the mud. We have Chinese investors, including those backed by the state. Both countries have very efficient intelligence services. The UAE & Israel are extremely close, which I've heard from a couple of very sensitive & reliable sources, as are the UAE and USA. Favours are being called in I'm told.

The owner of a Sports Marketing business which has no revenue coming in, or a load of heavily-indebted, downmarket malls, can't match that sort of power. This is just my idea but if I was Khaldoon or Sheikh Mansour, I'd be looking to buy the mortgages on those malls. And I'd be looking to see if they were supported by personal guarantees and, if not, I'd want those in place when the inevitable recession comes along. Because the only thing the Glazers have, which they could use for that, is their United shares. That's if they're not using them for that already, which I suspect they are. And then I'd call those loans in and, when they couldn't pay, I'd take the shares. And then the fun would really start.

We know what side the media will fall on if we did that to the glazers.

Ceferin also stated that the Investigatory and Adjudicating panel were completely independent of UEFA.

A distancing move?
They aren't independent though. Both are appointed by UEFA even though they may not be full-time employees (although the Investigstpry Chamber members might be). And Ceferin clearly felt he could get us a deal while the cas3 was with the Adjudicatory Chamber, which hardly make the case for them being truly independent.

But I think you could be right. He was picking up Soriano's cue possibly.

They aren't independent though. Both are appointed by UEFA even though they may not be full-time employees (although the Investigstpry Chamber members might be). And Ceferin clearly felt he could get us a deal while the cas3 was with the Adjudicatory Chamber, which hardly make the case for them being truly independent.

But I think you could be right. He was picking up Soriano's cue possibly.
just a thought, mate, thinking back to Gill being inducted to oversee FFP as the cartel didn’t believe UEFA were going far enough. Once inducted, things changed.

Uefa have recently forwarded CAS everything from the Der Spiegel articles.

They have NOTHING first hand, it's truly unbelievable.

Staggering.

I really look forward to your contributions to this and other threads but I cannot get my head around this.
Are we really pinning our hopes on the fact that highly regarded lawyers have advised UEFA that stolen emails are all the evidence they require?
And despite no football being played no one has run this story?
Makes absolutely no sense, however much we want it to be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.