Scariest away day following City

I’m so glad I grew up in the 90’s and away from all of this crap. Imagine not being able to take your kids due to the violence every weekend? No wonder an entire generation grew up thinking football is a TV channel.

Quite sad to see one or two warmly reminiscing about it too. I literally can’t remember the last time I had to fight to escape a situation. Maybe 20 years ago.
It was a terrible time to be an away fan, some away grounds were no problem, some he'll on earth, I have been able to take my lads to almost every ground in the first 3 divisions without any real problems, something I would never have done in the 70s and 80s.

Went to those also aged 15. Mercer used Dave Connor to keep Alan Ball quiet at Goodison.
Dave Connor played lots of games that season 65/66,30 league games plus he played in all our 8 fa cup ties.The game he was brought in to mark Ball was the semi at Villa park 69 v Everton his only game in the cup that season.

All away games against the big clubs were dangerous during the mid 70s to late 80s, but for me the Swamp in 1974, was the worst by far. Segregation was installed, the scoreboard end was split into 4 sections to my recollection, City had the full end, the rags were determined to get in, and they did in huge numbers, they came on the pitch before the game during and at half time, most blues made a hasty retreat and left, we ended up in one of the outer sections, the two centre blocks were full of rags, When Law scored we turned and left, we new it would get worse. Everyone sees the pitch invasion at the end, believe me it was going on from the minute we got in the ground. If you watch the game when Law scores, you don't see any City fans, but that's where we were when we first went in. The next one for me was Forest away 74, cup game, there was segregation, not like the swamp, but again they climbed over the fence behind the goals, we were all forced up into a paddock, along side the pitch. The only good thing was we always tried to stick together, no egos, no drugs, if you were a blue, that was good enough.
The funny thing about the rags in those days, they all wore tartan, they looked like the bay city rollers, with tartan stitched on there cloths, something that all the girls did, so they did stand out like a bunch of xxxxx.

All away games against the big clubs were dangerous during the mid 70s to late 80s, but for me the Swamp in 1974, was the worst by far. Segregation was installed, the scoreboard end was split into 4 sections to my recollection, City had the full end, the rags were determined to get in, and they did in huge numbers, they came on the pitch before the game during and at half time, most blues made a hasty retreat and left, we ended up in one of the outer sections, the two centre blocks were full of rags, When Law scored we turned and left, we new it would get worse. Everyone sees the pitch invasion at the end, believe me it was going on from the minute we got in the ground. If you watch the game when Law scores, you don't see any City fans, but that's where we were when we first went in. The next one for me was Forest away 74, cup game, there was segregation, not like the swamp, but again they climbed over the fence behind the goals, we were all forced up into a paddock, along side the pitch. The only good thing was we always tried to stick together, no egos, no drugs, if you were a blue, that was good enough.
The funny thing about the rags in those days, they all wore tartan, they looked like the bay city rollers, with tartan stitched on there cloths, something that all the girls did, so they did stand out like a bunch of xxxxx.
"Tommy Docs Tartan Army".

Leeds, both scouse late 70s early 80s were never a joy, utd at home always moody then, was in boardroom after one, few of us and loads of utds lads walked in, scary as fuck but got a walkover, somehow! Who remembers Palace away first game of season? same day brum took loads to west ham, we got ambushed after the game at Victoria by Chelsea, hundreds of them, that was an interesting day!
Remember it clearly, all went silent then a big roar as Chelsea ran at us. My mate got grabbed by one and asked who the fuck do you support, seeing dark blue everywhere he replied "Tottenham" "wrong answer" said some cockney meat heat before sticking one on him

Sheffield United could be scary back when they had a three-sided stadium at Bramall Lane.

The stand roof behind one goal, was very low, and the United fans at the back would throw bottles and try and smash them against the steel structure and fall on the City supporters below.
They did the same in the Boothen end at Stoke, but with a slight variation.
The bottles were full of piss!

Dave Connor played lots of games that season 65/66,30 league games plus he played in all our 8 fa cup ties.The game he was brought in to mark Ball was the semi at Villa park 69 v Everton his only game in the cup that season.
Dave worked at mellands mate when my lad was at school used to say to my lad if you see him watching you don't pass show off your skills lol.

I’m so glad I grew up in the 90’s and away from all of this crap. Imagine not being able to take your kids due to the violence every weekend? No wonder an entire generation grew up thinking football is a TV channel.

Quite sad to see one or two warmly reminiscing about it too. I literally can’t remember the last time I had to fight to escape a situation. Maybe 20 years ago.
why do you always feel the need to comment in threads like this if it pisses you off so much?
its EVERY thread.....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.