Running thread

Quite a few people on here talking about their 'times' but you've got to understand that, if you're going for a 'time' whenever you go out for a training run, your fitness will not improve much at all. The way to do it is to focus predominantly on aerobic zone running, i.e. a slow, conversational pace. If you want to get faster and run further, about 80% of your total weekly mileage should be in the aerobic zones where you don't get out of breath at all and at which pace you could easily hold a full conversation for the full duration.

If you're just getting into it, I would make that 100% of mileage actually. If you then want to do some specific speed work, this should be once a week (maybe twice with more experience) but even then, it shouldn't be flat-out chasing 'times' but at a controlled threshold pace or a specific interval session.

You'll thank me later.
Cheers for this post. Just did 6.5 miles and that’s the furthest I’ve run for probably 3 years. Slowed my normal pace down and enabled to go for longer (1 hour). It’s much more enjoyable as well than my normal lung busting pace I try and push myself to.

I'm finding running every day is leaving my legs sore. I cut down last year after a hip injury (labral tear) and was told by the surgeon to build my core up at the gym (and try yoga and pilates which I have done). Miss the bloody kettlebell workouts...wish I'd purchased one before lockdown. In saying that, the last surgeon I spoke to suggested latest evidence promotes stuff like running to get the blood flowing to the that hop region (didn't opt for surgery in the end) and when a run goes well it's an amazing feeling.
Will resume tomorrow after having a day off today.

Been running now each of the past 17 mornings. 8k now the norm but did 10k Monday. My feet hurt. My knee hurt. My hips hurt. My back hurts.

I'm also eating less and no rubbish.

A mysterious 1kg seems to drop off and back on every second day. And I am supposed to lose 18 of them ffs.

This getting fit is a pain in the ass, back, hips, knees and feet I tell ya. But I'm enjoying it none the less. :-)

Working at home so alternating between one day on the bike and next day running approx. 10k at about 8.30 mm pace .Near me Trafford park and the quays are quite deserted
id entered a few races in the spring and summer and they are getting pushed back to October and November
Hoping parkrun will be back by the end of the summer

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.