VE DAY

And were getting their arses handed to them. By the spring of 1942, Hitler had some juicy reinforcements heading to Moscow.

But what's this? Damn, those pesky Yanks have just joined the Brits who are in North Africa...and they're WINNING! Shite! The oil! Send half of them to reinforce Rommel's Afrika Corps! Rest is history.
This is not correct. The British, and Commonwealth had already beaten Rommel, without the yanks. The Germans retreated to italy. Where the allies started to move northwards up through italy. The Russians were in retreat until Stalingrad. There was no new forces sent to africa. Monty had won that that battle. Listen I cant carry on with this joust MB, my mrs just pumped up the volume. Have a good day, happy 75th VE :-)

Last edited:
Big day for me tomorrow. My Grandad, that helped to bring me up, my biggest hero, was a para and took part in the D Day landings at Normandy, liberating France and was instrumental in the assault at Pegasus Bridge. I scattered his ashes there 3 years ago, one of my proudest acts, to grant him his final wish at Ranville Cemetery and Pegasus Bridge. He was the person that shaped much of my life. He toughened me up, had me milling with gloves I couldn't lift up at 9 years old but boy did it teach me discipline. He opened up to me about his experiences when I faced a tough time at work, I had seen some horrific deaths at work and talked to him about them. After speaking to him about what he had seen and done, I was even more in awe of him. My Grandma, God rest her soul, was listening in to the conversation I had with him from the kitchen and afterwards told me that in over 55 years of marriage, she had never heard him talk of the things he told me. We carried on with these conversations throughout his life, he saw untold misery but he also enjoyed a colourful time in France, he said the French ladies were more than just good cooks!!! Anyway, tomorrow, I will undoubtedly shed a tear over him, but I'll also be raising a glass over my hero, my Grandad.

That is a great story. My grandad told some great tales to me of his time in the army during the war. He was away from home for 7 years on and off including spending 2 years in India when the war ended which he hated due to the extreme heat and poverty. All this whilst newly married. Such sacrifices. His wife then died of cancer in 1951 leaving him to bring up 2 kids aged 6 and 3. He never remarried but was popular with the ladies apparently ! He was a top man, living until he was 88. Big influence on my life and your story brought it back to me.

But in reality, you know full well he's confusing it with D Day 94. Which is quite understable.
Still, at least me and thee won't have to go over this again, in 25 years time.
Is that what it was? I was certain it was VE Day 1995.

https://www.nwemail.co.uk/features/...ames-furness-marked-50-year-anniversary-1995/

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/heritage-and-retro/heritage/how-50th-anniversary-celebration-ve-day-was-biggest-party-britain-end-second-world-war-2841509?amp

I’m almost certain VE Day was what we had street parties for as I remember having just turned 13 just before it. and it was street parties on every street round my way.

Also here’s BBC1 from that day:
https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1995-05-08

apart from Neighbours, it was all VE Day or War related from morning ‘til midnight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Y
God save the King

He looks haunted and like he hasn't slept in six years,what a burden he had,anyone who thinks being the monarch is easy is wrong,they give their lives to it whatever you think of the institution they do their duty as bestowed on them by their birth

when he looks up I can see the queen looking at me

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.