COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The BBC stitched them up good and proper with that interview didnt they! Making sure they were introduced as having travelled an hour and a half to get there. Cruel perhaps but necessary to emphasise the attitude of 'its other people who are wrong not me' that seems to be very prevalent.

Definite stitch up, totally deserved and hopefully evokes some self reflection. There is a guy ( who I don't know ) who on weekends used to go to busy parks and post pictures of how busy it was an expressed his outrage, you are there too mate!!!! True though telling the nation they traveled an hour and a half wasn't really necessary but where is her self awareness, the guys sat with her during the interview were pracically hiding their faces haha

I've thought that for a while.

The numbers which relate to progress seem to me to be:
- number in hospital (we get this)
- number in ICU
- number discharged
- number moved out of ICU for recovery

As it's possibly a bit tricky to get them, reporting them a day behind would be fine, as it will still show the changes.
Add numbers on ventilators and you have it.
Care commission death figures are a black hole as well. On what days were the figures collected?

I know a Medical Director of a hospital who says in the early days of responding to the virus some patients were being put on ventilators who were far too ill to recover. I’m not sure if that was widespread or not but could partly explain the very high mortality rates of ventilated patients.
According to my daughter most who die die of Sepsis or Organ failure and many older patients are just too frail to put on ventilators.

I know a Medical Director of a hospital who says in the early days of responding to the virus some patients were being put on ventilators who were far too ill to recover. I’m not sure if that was widespread or not but could partly explain the very high mortality rates of ventilated patients.
The data published by ICNARC shows that by the standard ICU scoring system on average the patients put on ventilators were less unwell than the standard ICU patient but had a higher mortality.

I suppose there is some good news in the latest ONS figures in that Non Covid-19 excess deaths ceased to be recorded after the 4th May.

We cannot eradicate coronavirus, expert warns

The coronavirus cannot be eradicated, the House of Lords has heard.

Prof David Robertson, head of viral genomics and bioinformatics at the University of Glasgow, told the House's Science and Technology Committee that Covid-19 was a highly successful virus.

He said: "It is so transmissible, it's so successful, we're so susceptible, that actually it's a little bit of a red herring to worry about it getting worse, because it couldn't be much worse at the moment in terms of the numbers of cases."

He contrasted coronavirus with Ebola, which killed many more of the people it infected but was therefore easier to control as people stopped spreading it.

"This virus is infecting so many people with asymptomatic to mild symptoms that it's almost uncontrollable.

"I think we have to be clear that we're not going to be able to eradicate this virus. It's going to settle into the human population and in several years it will become a normal virus."

There was also a warning that people who have had coronavirus may not develop significant immunity.

John Edmunds, professor of infectious disease modelling at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, said evidence from survivors of Sars (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, a different form of coronavirus) suggested immunity-giving antibodies reduced over time.

"So that's potentially bad news for us, that immunity may not last that long against this virus," he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.