COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
14 day isolation unessesay says top German Science advisor.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...s-unnecessary-claims-germanys-top-government/

He's probably right. 95% of people develop systems within 5.8 days

Just wanted to add that Prof. Drosten stated in the same podcast (with NDR radio)
that he has analyzed the Japanese CV strategy which wasn't much in public focus,
and he now wants to change German strategy to that Japanese way.

It's about dispersion K (after we know about R...) which says about 80% are infected by only 20% so called superspreaders during superspreading events (Ischgl, hospitals, care homes, slaughterhouses...).

After indentifying superspreaders all contacts are immediately declared as infected and isolated BEFORE waiting for test results. Drosten wants to follow that road in Germany to avoid a 2nd wave even later in autumn/winter.

146 English hospital deaths reported from yesterday. Scotland + 22. Wales + 14.

Most of the English deaths (30%) in north west again.

20 of those 146 were from yesterday.

We are still sub 200 deaths on every day in England even with daily add ons all the way back to May 9.

Scottish data good again too - 55 new cases only, 1114 in hospital (down 102 on yesterday) and only 33 in ICU (down 7). That was over 200 a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
EZRMz-5XQAABprx

If you look at the 5 day totals on Gelson's graph and compare with 7 days ago it looks superficially good. The on day report for previous day falls from 30 to 20. But when you get to the 4th and 5th days and compare the added on totals today with 7 days ago the drop is much less clear.

When you remember the deaths are really a picture of our efforts 3 weeks ago to suppress the virus and how things have changed since it is a little worrying.

Be fucking gutted if you fall in the severe bracket!
Well yes, but there are benefits.
Remdesivir and blood plasma if given early may be of great benefit.
Early hospitalization helps.
For example instant hospitalization on low O2 in Germany is just one reason one reason why deaths are so much lower there.

Last edited:
Yes. We did not understand the virus but it was novel.

We know it's not 'flu now. But we should also remember that this is a viral epidemic and that just 2 years ago 'flu had a 50,000 excess mortality in the UK. Fear and anxiety is out of control. The lockdown itself is damaging.

We need a means of controlling the epidemic until it has run its course. That's all the lockdown was ever designed to do but it is is extremely inefficient. Testing and quarantining the infected is an obvious way forward.

What I would like to know is what is capping the virus growth across the world? Many of the epidemics seem to turn around like clockwork even when antibody rates are quite low. In New York they've been doing antibody testing and found that in many zip-codes in the Bronx antibody rates are at ~40%, and there's one part of Brooklyn where it's at 45% but generally speaking the antibody rates are much lower. The UK briefing put it at 6.78% for the UK. Does that mean that only 6.78% of people have had the virus? Do people like children, or asymptomatics generate antibodies? I have heard they do but if that's the case I don't see why the epidemics are receding across Europe when measured immunity is so low.

Perhaps it is a combination of many factors. I hope one is not seasonality because that implies it could return.

There are many impoverished nations whose economies are too weak to sustain lockdowns. People question their reporting but you cannot hide mass death. It is a mystery as to why with one or two exceptions that Western Europe is one of the worst affected regions and that the undeveloped world has not done so badly. Perhaps it is too soon to say. I think maybe Covid19 is an illness that overwhelms weakened immune systems and if you think about it is the 'top-heavy' (age) in advanced societies.
As far as can be told those who have symptoms develop antibodies - the worse the symptoms the more antibodies. I have yet to see any evidence though of asymptomatic cases having antibodies.

As far as can be told those who have symptoms develop antibodies - the worse the symptoms the more antibodies. I have yet to see any evidence though of asymptomatic cases having antibodies.

Which might be an issue if most cases are I deed asymptomatic?

That's where the T cells come in... (I think!)
This is the problem, if they could come up with a way to test who has had it without antibodies and who it just won't affect, we could get back to some sort of normality. For all we know half the population could have had it. I think the size of a second wave, if any, will be an indication of past infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.