COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
General advice on two-metre physical distancing remains unchanged

The first minister says the general advice on physical distancing remains unchanged:

• as far possible remain two metres away from people from other households
  • 2m will remain the benchmark for the test and protect system
  • 2m is a particularly important guideline for anyone in a high-risk group - for example, if you are over the age of 70 or have an underlying health condition

Possibly under control because they don't have as many idiots as we do in England or because wee Jimmy waits for Boris to make a move, sees how it pans out here and then dependent on how good or bad it is then makes the decision for Scotland. Either way the situation up there albeit with vastly smaller population and density is better than we have it in England. Although I would say that the worry is the deaths in setting outside of hospital. Is it the case that care homes are still struggling or are these people dying anyway and it's easy to blame Covid. Notice that number of deaths is roughly back to normal despite Covid.

not sure you mean to or not but you don't half come across as snide/jealous, just because scotland appear to have done it a bit better than bubble head Boris

I know this is incredibly difficult to work out but people on here seem to be very on the ball with figures and the like so thought I'd ask! Back in the peak days of deaths when they announced the number they also said how many of them had underlying health issues. I've noticed they dont really say that any more. Is that because we've reached a stage now where because of the advancements in knowledge and treatment of this, if you are fit and healthy before you get it you are going to be ok?

not sure you mean to or not but you don't half come across as snide/jealous, just because scotland appear to have done it a bit better than bubble head Boris

The Scottish seem to forget how small they are in comparison. The population is around 5 million. when you think london alone is around 9 million. Its pretty clear to see how they have an easier ride of it.

I know this is incredibly difficult to work out but people on here seem to be very on the ball with figures and the like so thought I'd ask! Back in the peak days of deaths when they announced the number they also said how many of them had underlying health issues. I've noticed they dont really say that any more. Is that because we've reached a stage now where because of the advancements in knowledge and treatment of this, if you are fit and healthy before you get it you are going to be ok?

They do still say this on the official releases. The numbers without some underlying condition is still low and not infrequently lately with lower numbers has been been zero.

But young healthy people are not immune to the over reaction the body can create that is one of the main reasons for death if you have no underlying health condition.

And long term health consequences even for those who got over it being younger and fitter are starting to emerge.

176 in the last 24 hours. The numbers seemed to have hit a top high plateau recently.
Remembering that when we went into lockdown the highest number of deaths we’d had in one day was 36.

General advice on two-metre physical distancing remains unchanged

The first minister says the general advice on physical distancing remains unchanged:

• as far possible remain two metres away from people from other households
  • 2m will remain the benchmark for the test and protect system
  • 2m is a particularly important guideline for anyone in a high-risk group - for example, if you are over the age of 70 or have an underlying health condition
I’d say most people in supermarkets walk or stand well within 2m of other people at a high regularity.

Id day social distancing in supermarkets is about 1.25m at most.

Staff in supermarkets do not distance at all, they stand side by side and will brush past shoppers worse than shoppers do with each other.

The Scottish seem to forget how small they are in comparison. The population is around 5 million. when you think london alone is around 9 million. Its pretty clear to see how they have an easier ride of it.

Yes, but Wales is smaller and they are in a much bigger mess. So its not entirely that.

The lack of huge urban sprawl outside the Glasgow/Edinburgh corridor is a big help as it is the conurbations where it spreads rapidly. England is an obvious target on any global league table for that reason. Same reason Belgium was disproportionately impacted. And why the US is getting it bad but in a slower fashion because it has multiple urban sprawls that are separated by large open spaces the size of the entire British Isles.

Our island status and several week head start as the virus spread north throughout Europe was an opportunity. But we either chose not to or realistically could not seal off the borders in a global community such as we live in. Certainly not for the duration of a pandemic like this is proving.

Last edited:
I’d say most people in supermarkets walk or stand well within 2m of other people at a high regularity.

Id day social distancing in supermarkets is about 1.25m at most.

Staff in supermarkets do not distance at all, they stand side by side and will brush past shoppers worse than shoppers do with each other.
Depends where you shop I guess, I changed where I shopped because of it, and have been comfortable at the new supermarket. You have to go close occasionally, but I make sure I move past quickly if I have to pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.