The death of VAR

Yesterday had 2 extreme cases of players on the ground getting hit by the ball in the arm. I can't remember another incident like those all season. It's shit but it's also clear, the subjectivity has been taken out of it. The choice is clear, do want accidental handballs to be allowed or punished? If its the former then you're back into the territory or the referee deciding what's accidental and what's not and that's why we're here in the first place.

A bit of wishful thinking. This round of mid-week fixtures has seen so many poor VAR decisions surely it is the death knell of this awful process? I know I can be accused of bias for calling out the Mahrez non-goal but bias is far from the truth when it comes to Spuds. I hate them and they need to feel at least two really bad VAR calls in two big games to feel the pain we have had recently against them. But in all fairness how can Kane's goal be ruled out for handball? Then Moyes has reason to feel hard done by in terms of VAR v Chelski. Enough is enough surely? Please!
VAR is not the real issue, it’s just a mechanism to see things better. The real issue is the way that the laws have been skewed, hand ball & offside being the biggest issues. The fact that a forward merely touches the ball with a hand or arm unintentionally & a goal is ruled out, is madness. Similarly if they reverted offside to clear daylight between the forward & last defender the margins would be more sensible instead of the lunacy of arm pits etc.
What’s made it even worse here in England is obviously Mike Riley, a complete disaster as a referee & now as an administrator. He overrides the regulation of refs viewing pitchside monitors which as Mourinho said means that the real ref is in a bunker in London not in the pitch

When you actually read the laws of the game, neither Foden nor Maura actually committed an offence, because, like Laporte against Spurs earlier in the season, neither controlled the ball and set up a chance after it hit their arm.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules.../football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

The new handball law is shit, but they’re actually interpreting it worse than it actually is!

Jesus this never ends does it.

guys you need to stop lumping everything in together.

VAR should be a hugely important thing for us. The camera shouldn’t lie. Be 100% in favour of that.

The implementation and the rules are the only issue here, not the tech.

so if you have an issue, stop bemoaning “var”.

Blame the refs, call em out. Blame the rules. But you saying “fuck var” gives them people an out and our fans keep doing that.

michael Oliver or Mike Dean being inept has nothing to do with the tech at hand, stop letting them off by moaning about var.
I give you the Sheff Utd v Villa game where the ball (even to the naked eye) was well over the goal line. Hawkeye (not strictly VAR) missed it, and the goal didn't stand.

Easy to blame the technology, when in reality it appears that to all intents and purposes, that result was manipulated.

I give you the Sheff Utd v Villa game where the ball (even to the naked eye) was well over the goal line. Hawkeye (not strictly VAR) missed it, and the goal didn't stand.

Easy to blame the technology, when in reality it appears that to all intents and purposes, that result was manipulated.

great example.

Take the tech out of it for one second.

Firstly, the ref fails to catch that with his eyes.

Secondly the linesman fails with their eyes.

At this point Hawkeye also fails due to an issue.

But now you have a fourth check, var. Michael Oliver could see from replay with his eyes that something was wrong, but refused to use var to check it as he assumed the goal line tech couldn’t be wrong, even if his eyes told him otherwise.
A quick var replay could have solved that issue, but it’s on the person in the box and not the tech, as there essentially was a failsafe.

VAR is fine. In this day and age its absurd that a player can score with his hand, or be a yard offside, or that the wrong player gets sent off etc.. so for those reasons im all for it.

But its the other uses of it that are ridiculous. Clearly the rules have been changed to take the heat off the referees. Like the lines for offside and the handball rule. Since when has the feelings of the referee been more important than allowing goals.

If you cant tell if someone is offside without the use of lines then he should be inline, therefore onside.
If the ball accidently glances an arm, then it shouldnt be a handball. Simple.

Sounds daft, but im gutted that fifth goal was not given.

he did actually hit the ball with his hand just as the defender kicked it against him (there is a good angle of it), however if that's handball to the so called experts then the game is broken.

I genuinely couldn't see a handball yesterday on several viewings but will take your word for it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.