Southampton (A) Post-Match Thread

Maybe so but we could end the season with only a Carabao cup win and with this squad, thats nothing to write home about.
9 defeats in a poor league, so far, we should be better than that with the players we have.
Everything depends on the two cups, win one and we've had a good season. Lose in both and we've had a dire one

I don't think you know what a dire season looks like.

Mahrez and Sterling cutting inside did nothing, you keep doing the same things, you keep getting the same results. Sane offered a different option, exactly what the team needed tonight because plan A certainly wasn't working.
Sane's strength is when he can play into space. He may have been better in the first half , i used to prefer him to Sterling but then Sane lost form , injury and Sterling hit form. Against teams that defend with all their numbers in the box, it's very difficult for us without any height and a reluctance to shoot . Got to say Jesus needs a goal

That was a complete shit show.

The worst part was I came away impressed with the central defenders of Southampton.. and we should look into them. Southampton produce some good players.. They had Van Dijk, Sadio Mane. Our scouts need to look at Bednarek closely since we need help at the back and he's played in the EPL already.

And we need a striker. Sorry Jesus just isn't Aguero. Maybe Pep should promote Liam or that new kid Moreno to the first team squad.

This game has once again proven that we need a new left back and a new centre forward We can’t keep giving goals away like we do so easily and missing so many chances
Unless we sort this no way we win the league next season as dippers are a result machine and we have to match them

Having looked at a lot of comments on here last night and lots of posters were saying it doesnt matter we lost and were finishing 2nd etc.
I wonder if this mindset is in the players and Pep to an extent?
That said 9 defeats is very poor in a given season and that may be 11 or 12 by the end.
It looks as though some players are treating the final league games as a pre season kick abouts and are not arsed in the slightest.
Very disappointing we lost to a side that let in 9 goals a few months ago.

The league is been used for fitness, rotation and observation. It’s going to be a lot like this for the duration.
We were nowhere near full strength and still battered them. They had to defend with everything they had to keep us out. The keeper and whole back four were mom.
If I had a criticism, we’ve stopped arriving far post, from both sides, it was our go to move.
Seems it’s been canned. We’ve adopted the deeper whipped in crosses rather than the byline. But it’s only an observation.
We’re still a top side even when not full strength be under no illusion about that.

There are always going to be freak results with such an intense schedule of games and the rotation that is required to keep players fit and fresh. Yesterday was one of those. I have to say I thought Southampton were brilliant for the first 20 minutes of the game, they pounced on the uncertainty in the team and were constantly pressuring our left side as Zinchenko was the obvious weakness. We all know we’ve had immense vulnerabilities on that side for 3 seasons and it absolutely has to be addressed.

Yesterday was poor and we shouldn’t be losing 9 games in a season, we seem to have ‘those’ games in us, a relentless pattern of play that sees us dominate but the opposition can soak up. A need for a plan B is there and aimlessly smacking in crosses to our forwards requires an actual target.

We needed a bit of luck yesterday and it wasn’t going to happen, the keeper played brilliantly and every ricochet went a foot outside the post.

Imagine playing a variant of darts whereby the object is to throw the most bullseyes from 25 darts. City hit twenty-three 25s and bounce off the wire between 25 and the bullseye twice. Our opponent drops the dart at his feet 23 times, hits a random double and then pops it into the bullseye. That's been us too many times this season, but fuck knows what the answer is.
..and at the end, Jim Bowen says ‘Here’s what you could’ve won..’ (think that rounds off your metaphor, given the way our season has gone?!)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.