CAS judgement: UEFA ban overturned, City exonerated (report out p603)

Let's not be too harsh on Delooney, Sherbert, Neil's Dad from the Inbetweeners et al. Egg on their faces. It's understandable that they feel they have to re-write the story to suit their agenda rather than the verdict from actual legal experts.
They're twats and they know they are.

It doesn't do much for the overall credibility of our case. You would have to suspend quite a lot of belief to accept that HH was this individual. In the end, CAS had no evidence to the contrary and had no basis for saying Pearce was unreliable. The wording of p224 is quite careful!
We know where the additional funding (the so-called "central resources") really came from. It came from the Executive Council/Crown Prince Court but they couldn't admit that obviously. But the crucial point is it wasn't Sheikh Mansour/ADUG. That seems to have been comprehensively demonstrated to CAS's satisfaction. You always maintained that if Etihad were contracted to pay us £x and they paid us £x then there was no case to answer. But you also maintained that it didn't matter where Etihad got that money from.

This judgement shows that the core part of UEFA's case was that this was disguised equity investment. You were absolutely right about the time-barred stuff (although CAS upheld UEFA's right to revisit the settlement agreement) but the issue of disguised equity investment, and therefore the source of the Etihad funds, was always the key to this.

On another point, I notice Conn takes the very disingenouous line that the Etisalat agreement wasn't signed until 2015 but was backdated to 2012, ignoring the fact that the original Heads of Agreement for that arrangement was signed in Feb 2010. I'd be interested on your view of that.

Last edited:
I think I've solved the issue of the missing year as well. What I think happened is that we brought forward some of the cash Etihad paid us into the two earlier years (2012/13 and 2013/14) but didn't need it in 2014/15. The arrangement presumably started as normal again in 2015/16. However we still accounted for the revenue as thought it had been paid equally over the 4 years. So it was £220m over 4 years effectively.

Conn's article is just completely disingenuous nonsense. He's basically re-writing the verdict to save face. Embarrassing stuff.

According to Conn, apparently City 'recommended' Santos as chairman insinuating that the process was some how fixed.

They actually nominated him (and would have probably nominated others they would have no objections with) as chairman from the list of approved CAS arbitrators. UEFA agreed to this and had no objections.

This agreement from UEFA was potentially related to get the case resolved by the middle of July and they didn't want the selection of a chairman to be drawn out as is often the case.

Let's not be too harsh on Delooney, Sherbert, Neil's Dad from the Inbetweeners et al. Egg on their faces. It's understandable that they feel they have to re-write the story to suit their agenda rather than the verdict from actual legal experts.
Para 258 is a slap on Delooney's 'state funded' hyperbole.

Last edited:
Ok, so now we know. We know that this case had very little evidence and some of that evidence was in fact fraudulent. This case would never have seen the light of day in a proper, non kangaroo organization, with proper checks and balances such as a CPS. It is also clear that City had no confidence in giving their rebuttal evidence as they could not trust UEFA enough to look at it dispassionately and stop the investigation.

But why?

Why did UEFA continue with such a prosecution? I would be interested in Prestwich Blues view if I may be so bold. Was it just to besmirch us or because the 'royalty' of clubs insisted on giving it a whirl.

All in all, a bloody sad day for UEFA, democracy and fair play.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.