Kalidou Koulibaly

80€ mil for 29 year old who could not cope with our attack a couple of seasons ago, no proven record of playing high line defence and with 0£/€ resell value, I just hope we walk away from this 'deal'. People here forget Mangala was a top rated CB before started playing for us.

Whose his manager?

80€ mil for 29 year old who could not cope with our attack a couple of seasons ago, no proven record of playing high line defence and with 0£/€ resell value, I just hope we walk away from this 'deal'. People here forget Mangala was a top rated CB before started playing for us.
Mangala was a beast on his debut against Chelsea.

People here forget Mangala was a top rated CB before started playing for us.

No they don't because every day someone thinks this is a point that needs making.

Mangala was never as highly rated as Koulibaly and is nothing like him as a player.

I can tell you've not actually watched the bloke for any reasonable amount of time because he spent years playing in a high line defence under Sarri at Napoli, during which time he was named in the Serie A team of the season four years in a row ahead of some of the best centrebacks on the planet.

Why are so many of you so confidently wrong?

And resale value? We're trying to win the biggest trophies in club football, not an episode of Bargain Hunters.

See for yourself....

To be honest everytime we get linked to a defender I look at youtube and end up thinking the player featured likes a sliding tackle. Beginning to think the compilers of these videos like a sliding tackle and search for them so it's hard to tell if players we are targetting go to ground too much without watching whole games..

Just watched a World of Football YouTube clip of him. Great passer but he goes to ground and does a sliding tackle to win the ball every time. Worried the number of reds he would get for us.

From the little I’ve seen I don’t get it.

It’s a compilation of highlights - watch Maldini or Nesta videos and you’ll see the same. Note that they’re not Kompany/Otamendi-type lunges, but perfectly timed, controlled tackles.

No they don't because every day someone thinks this is a point that needs making.

Mangala was never as highly rated as Koulibaly and is nothing like him as a player.

I can tell you've not actually watched the bloke for any reasonable amount of time because he spent years playing in a high line defence under Sarri at Napoli, during which time he was named in the Serie A team of the season four years in a row ahead of some of the best centrebacks on the planet.

And resale value? We're trying to win the biggest trophies in club football, not an episode of Bargain Hunters.

Koulibaly and Mangala could be twin sisters so close were they in style, but Koulibaly got game time and grew as a player on all stats, Mangala is still playing crap. But Koulibaly has had a bad season not entirely his fault, but looks to have lost a yard of pace, which we need and at 29 that is a worry, he will also come on a huge wage which could turn into the next Adebayor syndrome

The last sentence shows the complete fallacy in which some posters fall into because our owners are very wealthy. Yes we do want the very best and will do everything to get the very best but you also have to remember that ambition is tempered with getting value for money because as much as football is emotional, there is also a business element.

"Sheikh Mansour is an astute businessman, who believes you can create a value from football that has not yet been accomplished," Khaldoon explained. "There is a pure, football, emotional side to it, and a big business side, too. I think what attracted Sheikh Mansour was the great football journey, but also there is a business sense, that we can create a franchise, a business, over years, which will create value and reap a long term return." - Khaldoon 2009.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/sep/18/manchester-city-abu-dhabi-mubarak

You can talk about bargin hunting all you like but you're just exaggerating a weak argument to try and make it look stronger, when no one is advocating bargain hunting at all, just a desire to retain the "value for money" long term approach to transfers we've done very successfully over the last few years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.