Pep's contract situation

Whatever happens in the coming weeks.

We need to work on our defense for next season, or we are going to win fuck all .

We could do with a decent defensive Coach to work with Pep to eradicate lapses in concentration,and School Boy errors.

Defensively we were unacceptably bad this season.

We didn’t replace Kompany and Laporte got injured, we were always gonna have issues.

Most alarming is that he still hasn’t figured out that we are better defensively when we defend from the front with high intensity and legs. Trying to defend with immobile defenders and midfielders is the problem.

Like I said I wish Pep had played with more of our identity last night, but I can understand his rational for the reason he did what he did.

Its only Lyon is a bit if a misnomer to me as the issue was not facing the 7th best side in France but more facing a side with their distinct attributes was the issue and how it could expose our weaknesses.

Coincidentally Wolves finished 7th in England and there is a lot of parallels to Lyon in style (low block and counter attacking at pace) and there a side which causes us more problems, due to there style, than you would expect relative to their league position.

Similarly if you look across Europe to sides with similar philosophies, possession based, control spaces, high press (Nagelsmann at Leipzig, Sarri at Juventus) Lyon have also
done a job on those sides in this year Champs Lge so I think that was a cause for concern and influenced the team selection.

With regards Madrid as a blueprint, Madrid play a very diferent style to Lyon, playing a possession based game, with little threat behind, so I think its difficult to say definitively that should have been the blue print as we only have to look back at games against United, Wolves etc (low block, fast counter attacks) to see why Pep felt he had to change against a team playing in such a way.
To be fair Frank that is pretty good research / analysis, however I still think it was over-thought to the point of paralysing our attacking strengths.

Straight from the off, as soon as Lyon get sight of that team sheet they would have been delighted in what they were facing compared to what they could have been facing.

We completely got it wrong...........

This is not a reaction to last night i said this a year ago. Pep either signs a contract extension or he goes, we should not allow a situation where he is allowed to run down his contract, the club is bigger than any individual and that includes the greatest manager ever I hope he signs a 3 year contract and the club backs him rebuilding the squad and he needs a number 2 who will say, no Pep NO

He might have confirmed he wants to go after his contract comes to an end but the Club aren’t going to reveal that information. They’ll just make plans quietly & it will all be ok

bloody hell boys and girls I was apoplectic last night with the ridiculous tactics and all, but some of the things I'm reading on here today are veering towards the shite I used to read about Pellegrini.

The facts are simple. Pep does have some sort of need to prove himself too clever for his own good when in european knockout games but what about the other 90% of the season?

Two record breaking seasons in the league watching things we never thought we would see, 3 consecutive league cups, an fa cup and the satisfaction of watching City utterly destroy English football for two years running. All whilst turning a profit.

And never forget, when the shit hit the fan in february he wasted no time in standing up for the club. Very publicly and very loudly. That was the time when a lesser man would have been shuffling towards the exit door. Pep did the opposite and doubled down in his show of loyalty.

He deserves the same in return off us as a fanbase and off the players. Every one of which he has personally improved. If any players don't like it they can fuck off. I dont care who they are, they work for City which means they work for Pep.

Fuck the champions league, its bent and corrupt. We would never be allowed to win it whatever Pep did or didnt do last night.

This man stood by us when we most needed him to.

Now its our turn to stand by him

You can’t possibly think Pep has a better record of making in-game changes that affect the result, surely??

Mancini was brilliant at making game changing subs and changes of formation that turned the game on its head. Tottenham at home being a prime example when we were 1 down and he switched to 352 and we won.

If Pep’s plan A doesn’t work, he tends to sulk, fold his arms, waits, makes a like for like change on 70 minutes which has zero effect and then in a passive aggressive manner says “we played so so well, but the problem was in both boxes”.

Trouble with Mancini is that nobody liked him. He never lasts long anywhere. He ignored players having a tough time & never uses or develops kids

bloody hell boys and girls I was apoplectic last night with the ridiculous tactics and all, but some of the things I'm reading on here today are veering towards the shite I used to read about Pellegrini.

The facts are simple. Pep does have some sort of need to prove himself too clever for his own good when in european knockout games but what about the other 90% of the season?

Two record breaking seasons in the league watching things we never thought we would see, 3 consecutive league cups, an fa cup and the satisfaction of watching City utterly destroy English football for two years running. All whilst turning a profit.

And never forget, when the shit hit the fan in february he wasted no time in standing up for the club. Very publicly and very loudly. That was the time when a lesser man would have been shuffling towards the exit door. Pep did the opposite and doubled down in his show of loyalty.

He deserves the same in return off us as a fanbase and off the players. Every one of which he has personally improved. If any players don't like it they can fuck off. I dont care who they are, they work for City which means they work for Pep.

Fuck the champions league, its bent and corrupt. We would never be allowed to win it whatever Pep did or didnt do last night.

Great post. Lot of knee jerk - uninformed - reactions after last night’s result. Suddenly the last 3 years are forgotten (bit like the media really, who have never really recognised our achievements over that time). If it had been rags or dippers that had won all domestic trophies & made 100 points, we’d never have heard the end of how immortal such a team was.

it’s media coverage that promotes the rags & their fans lap it up. This ensures they are constantly told how great they are. They’re still going on about the frigging class of 92 FFS!!!

Unfortunately our fans don’t get those constant reminders of our brilliant achievements- so they seem to forget them very quickly.

I was not romanticising mate. I was just stating that Bobby would have changed that formation when he realised it was not working. I suppose it is a moot point really as he would not have even tried something like that in the first place.

He maybe would have brought Barry on for Tevez, but that would have also meant freeing up Yaya and moving him into a more advanced role. He did that quite often. It seemed to always work as well. He would have never have taken Yaya off for a centre back at 1-1, which is what you were insinuating with your KDB and Otamendi comment.
Villarreal at home (the infamous consistent air punching upon the late late winner), he made the very unpopular defis of hooking off Johnson for Barry aft about 25-30 minutes whilst a goal down.

I can still remember rowing about this at the time in the South Stand.

Substitutes give you a relatively cl ar indication of the managers thinking of which on this occasion (as he used to do quite a bit 'i want more ball and / or control in the middle of the park').

Seemingly some people are still stuck in a mindset of 'we need a goal, bring a striker on'........

I 100% agree with this sentiment. I also don’t think anyone thinks Pep deserves to be sacked based on this season.

The issue for me seems to be the long-term project and whether it is worth letting Pep rebuild the side in his image for one season.

There’s the additional issue of whether the players can still positively respond to Pep’s intense style. This season has shades of Pep’s final year at Barca in his players falling off the pace. I would argue that only Sterling, KDB and Walker have had a good season for us. The rest of the players have regressed from previous years.

The reason I compare this to Barca is that they didn’t need to rebuild the squad, a new manager with fresh ideas made them challenge again. I still think that Stones, Mendy, Bernardo are top players who could have a future here and save the club millions. Yet I don’t see them having a future here under Pep.

This is the crux of the issue for me, if Pep wants to stay for the next 3 seasons, let him get rid of whoever he wants and give him the players he wants. That is the top choice option. Yet I don’t know if it’s worth giving him the same power for one season when another manager could utilise these players to their style.

Yeah and for my next party trick I'll tell you what was on the front page the day you were born.

I don't have hyperthymesia mate and I'm not about to trawl through match reports over the course of his tenure to find you an example of him bringing on Barry for Tevez when we're a goal down.

All I'm saying is that the levels of romanticism some of you seem to bestow on him in comparison to our current manager are at odds with the facts.

Not 1 down but 0-0 with Birmingham in 2010 he about did that haha

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.