How would you assess Rodri's season?

There is some shameful delusion on this thread.

Imagine the scum or the dippers had paid a club record fee for this kid.

We'd be pissing ourselves at them.
Are you not bored of constantly slagging Rodri, seen you across the whole forum now.

Neither of those teams would buy Rodri because he doesn't fit into their team. Surely with all your footballing wisdom you can see that?

Only one midfielder in the league passed the ball forwards into the final 3rd more than Rodri this season, and he's also 2nd for cumulative forward passing distance.

There's definitely criticisms of him, but passing the ball forwards is not one of them.

The opposition are usually camped 20 yards from their own goal. He is the unusual position of being a CDM that probably spends most of his game in the opposition half. His forward passes very rarely lead to anything because he is ultra conservative with them. It would be fair to argue that its not his role to play the killer ball but Fernandinho and even Gundogan to a certain extent were more progressive passers at 6. In Gundogans case, he is actually more progressive at 6 than 8.

A very good player not helped by the unforgiving style of football that Pep likes to play. If we add legs around him he will excel. But still very young and lots to improve.

I think we hugely overpaid for a player, who lets face it is tidy enough but is bang average, you could pick a central midfielder from any top 10 club and they could, and would do what he does, not entirely his fault but having the turning circle of a bus and seemingly falling asleep when receiving simple side to side passing is infuriating.

Overall a good season considering he’s only 24 years old and came from an ultra defensive team and manager to the complete opposite end of the spectrum. On top of that he has had revolving door of defenders play behind him this season, even he himself played CB.

When he has had energy and work rate in front of him he has played well. Please Pep no more lineups with both Rodri and Gundogan.

With a more settled back 4 behind him and some energy in front, he’ll shine.

I must have gone for brew when he did that.

Haha. He does do that, at least when I’m watching. I’m always watching him in hope he does well. Only thing is he doesn’t get into space enough to receive a pass. Sometimes stationary and receives a pass in unfavourable positions only to be immediately pressed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.