Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
kinnel threads merged, I'm going to have to start again at page 1 to make sure I miss nothing

Based on nothing but my own gut instinct, anyone else enjoying all this Messi stuff but feel that ultimately, Messi will leave us with egg on our faces and stay at Barcelona ?
I certainly think if he leaves Barcelona then he'll come to City but this nagging doubt that he'll end up staying at Barcelona won't leave me.
Fcuk it, like everyone else, i have no real idea what's happening haha
No egg on our face, City have said nothing

If he really wants to leave for footballing reasons, let's hope he and his advisers show how much he wants to play for us by making this deal easy.
At the end of the day, how much money do you need? the dude must be a multimillionaire several times over as well has his family.
I’m sure at our end deal is done. He just needs closure at his end, in a way that doesn’t tarnish his legacy there

The media are setting us up to fail! Hate to say it but I don't think Messi would be coming here and when that happens the media would be bombarded with "City snubbed" articles. The club should control the narrative, right now these daily articles and tweets of "city and messi in advanced talks" just seems too deliberate. This all seems like the case of a disgruntled wife (messi) flirting with an old high school sweetheart (pep) just to get her husband's attention
Sorry but the disgruntled wife has taken off her knickers and is gesturing to the old sweetheart to join her in the ginnel

I believe it will happen too. Messi is the heart of Barcelona. He has to be given the freedom to do what he wants however this feels like it has a momentum and life of its own. Guardiola, Birgiristain, Soriano may feel obliged to their friend, and I think they will do whatever it takes.

Signing Messi will be a dream however I also believe at the same time that the capacity of the player is declining and people have to accept that. Sure their football club has made a lot of footballing mistakes but possibly because the whole team revolves around him as a player and hence other signings can not fully be integrated into the team? Messi has become larger than life but this cannot be so. At 25-30 anything with a player like this is possible. You make him your crown jewel but what happens now?

I think we may over-commit in signing him. However, whilst I think that Messi's talents are limited, imagine the impact on players and the team around him. They will and should feel completely compelled to do everything they can to win for him and deliver him titles. I started out as an arch-cynic of this deal but I think that this could get out of control and in achieving a dream we may do some damage? We have to be careful and be prepared to draw lines which we do not go past. Of course I haven't a clue what is going on
Well said, if he is coming in on a free or for a reasonable compensation package acceptable to all parties, this is a wonderful deal.
But talk of player exchanges involving Bernardo, and Jesus, is a step too far for me. Very short term gain, but long term damage.
Messi is 33 at the end of the day, without doubt the greatest player of his generation but he is 33, past his glorious best and hence the reason why this Barca President is even considering let him go.

No it's not. And I've got another one to prove it so there!

EgcEgzCWkAAdgui

tenor.gif

Yuk. Gabby, Foden, Kevin and Sterling should be off limits. They can take anyone else in exchange.

no they cannot.
if you think we are able to gift , Laporte, Silva, Jesus, Ederson and others you are not the sporting director i thought you were

Welcome to Manchester, another fine start to an August Bank Holiday weekend and it's pissing down. Best get it over with at the beginning so he's under no illusions
This is my thought exactly, he could be paid £1000,000 per week, but unlike Kun who’s lived here for years i think swapping Barcalona for Manchester will be too much of a change - palm tree’s, sunshine & beaches to constant rain, grey clouds every morning and the opportunity to sit on the M60 for hours. Think it was Nolito who said it was like living in a cave. Messi’s missus & kids won’t like it.
If he does decide to come, i know of a good sunbed shop & can get a discount for The Metrolink if he ever needed it

The BBC not covering this might actually be a good thing for us.
It doesn't really bother me. This is too big a deal to worry about how the club is portrayed for the moment especially as everything would change if he signed. That is part of what bothers me because although he is a footballer he is also so much more than that. He is larger than life and no one can value him as a footballer especially because he lives in the here and now and what at 33 he can really do. He's one of the football icons like Eusebio, Pele, or Best who carry with them memories of what they have done but they can not go on forever. No one will see that now though.

I want this deal to happen now for emotional and not rational reasons. The hopes I have are intangibles like the effect on other players, and the perception of Manchester City. If we were to sign Messi I do not expect to see Messi in his pomp. He was in a great side and he could not carry them so he will not carry us either. He will be a supremely gifted player nearing the end of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.