Kalidou Koulibaly

No drama, but important we get this done. Many players are better than Stones, Otamendi but that’s not the point. We need someone world class and there really are only a handful in Europe. Losing out on Kouli is not something we can afford to do.
We've won the league four times in 8/9 years without Koulibaly, no one player is ever essential. A centre back would undoubtedly help us but if we improve our pressing game or even just get back to the pressing game we had the two previous seasons then the current CB's will be far less exposed as a result. Ideally both would be great but not at any cost.

We've won the league four times in 8/9 years without Koulibaly, no one player is ever essential. A centre back would undoubtedly help us but if we improve our pressing game or even just get back to the pressing game we had the two previous seasons then the current CB's will be far less exposed as a result. Ideally both would be great but not at any cost.
We had vinny who was probably our greatest ever defender in those title winning teams and he is a massive loss . For a start our midfield is too slow With gundo and Rodri so we lose that battle straight away which puts us on the backfoot . Losing ferdy from midfield was a major factor but our defence is shocking tbh . Even Laporte has got mistakes in him during a game but the other two stones and otamendi are a liability and should be nowhere near our first team. At left back mendy isn’t good enough but I would imagine he will get another season and cancelo will play on that side as walker and couto will have the right side nailed down . If we get the right reinforcements n which I do believe we will then it will be a very tight. Title race in which we could win but if we don’t get a centre half then we will not win the title .

Last edited:
We had vinny who was probably our greatest ever defender in those title winning teams and he is a massive loss . For a start our midfield is too slow With gundo and Rodri so we lose that battle straight away which puts us on the backfoot . Losing ferdy from midfield was a major factor but our defence is shocking tbh . Even Laporte has got mistakes in him during a game but the other two stones and otamendi are a liability and should be nowhere near our first team. At left back mendy isn’t good enough but I would imagine he will get another season and cancelo will play on that side as walker and couto will have the right side nailed down . If we get the right reinforcements n which I do believe we will then it will be a very tight. Title race in which we could win but if we don’t get a centre half then we will not win the title .
You say "even Laporte has mistakes in him", can you name me a single player anywhere who doesn't? It's such a loose and easy term banded about that has absolutely no meaning because it applies to every single player in the world. It's something I expect off Paul Merson.

The principle applies no matter what the personnel. If we fix the pressing and stop threats at the source, then you reduce the exposure and risk to the last line of defence. Stones and Otamendi, if as you say are "liabilities who should be nowhere near the first team", then how did we win the league titles with them both making regular appearances in the first team, maybe they just looked better because they had better protection.

You say "even Laporte has mistakes in him", can you name me a single player anywhere who doesn't? It's such a loose and easy term banded about that has absolutely no meaning because it applies to every single player in the world. It's something I expect off Paul Merson.

The principle applies no matter what the personnel. If we fix the pressing and stop threats at the source, then you reduce the exposure and risk to the last line of defence. Stones and Otamendi, if as you say are "liabilities who should be nowhere near the first team", then how did we win the league titles with them both making regular appearances in the first team, maybe they just looked better because they had better protection.
We wouldn’t have won the titles if stones and otamendi could have been our first choice pair . End of the day we all have our own opinions on what is best for the team and if you think they are both decent defenders then fair play . But you are right about protection as our midfield with ferdy at his peak stopped everything . Maybe we should go and pay £80 for Kante because he would smash that midfield .

We wouldn’t have won the titles if stones and otamendi could have been our first choice pair . End of the day we all have our own opinions on what is best for the team and if you think they are both decent defenders then fair play . But you are right about protection as our midfield with ferdy at his peak stopped everything . Maybe we should go and pay £80 for Kante because he would smash that midfield .
Would £80 do it?

Rather PSG than Mourinho get hands on a quality defender like Skriniar.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.