It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my frustration, but I should know better as it’s just not us, is that I wish we were just a bit more ruthless when it came to transfers, instead of fannying around as usual.

People forget that we’ve got to shift players to free up room for incomings, which is a ball ache when clubs only come calling late in the window when they know they can pull our pants down.

The Garcia/Otamendi/Zinchenko transfers out, in a perfect world, would have been done by now and we’d have potentially shifted Stones too.

Then the incomings would be easy.

I don't know enough details about individual deals to comment.

I just know we should have another cb at the club.

Leaving the negativity vs positivity debate aside, what are your thoughts on the long term replacement for Aguero?
The bar set by him has been so high that I think only 2 guys - Haaland and Felix will be able to match the hype. Personally, I would love to see Haaland but was distraught to see so many people calling it a 'dream' or 'unrealistic' over here and on Twitter. Heard that Torres can cross the ball well and I would love to see some headed goals.The best part is he's a blue and has been on City supporter pages until people figured out it was him.

I get the frustration, but I doubt anyone on here knows what our overall budget is.

Maybe by the time we’ve taken wages, agents fees etc into account we simply can’t afford the extra 5-10m it may cost to land any of our targeted CB’s? Particularly without shifting anyone else on?

I think like all other clubs we are operating under tighter financial restrictions, given the current economic outlook.
Except we had £200m set aside for Messi.

I can see people overreacting but I also see people underreacting.

Crticism of our management team is very fair. Not on individual deals but on the fact we haven't fixed problems that we've had years to fix.

I'm not panicking, because it is what it is.

But if City want to win the title, they are not making it easy for themselves.

We have picked out some great, under the radar, signings over the years & may have just done two more with Ake & Torres.

But really, failling to sign Harry Maguire, is the best we can do for right cb, in the space of a year ? Should have been sorted then, never mind now.
The only thing I would put back to you is we may have a different definition of criticism

With no crowds and restricted money from tv and sponsorship at the moment many clubs would welcome €60 million from a source that can afford it no problem. They are going to hold out for more as they know we have it. But nearer the window closing I'm sure that they will take it as options close down. I think this is true of all our transfer targets. Overpay and get them now or wait for a couple of weeks and see how receptive the seller is. We got a couple of good transfers done early in any case.

The recruitment this window has been blown off course by the weeks spent in the fruitless pursuit of Messi and in trying to prise Koulibaly from Napoli when we all know that De Laurentiis would give no ground over the fee. Foolish recruitment strategies from the start, both of them. The rebuild of our ageing squad should have been addressed before the first game of the season. Still time of course to bring new players in but there are serious squad weaknesses before we get our season up and running. We need at least 2 quality signings before the close of the window.

But you are criticising before knowing the final outcome - there are two weeks left of the transfer window.....then is the time for assessment and critical analysis (in part) and then after that nce the team has bedded in (10 games in or so?)
Also you nor anyone on here know exactly how hard the management/club are workign on transfers....

Some people (not you) act like Txixi et al are sat in their office with their feet up watching SSN everyday while drinking coffee - Pep himself said yesterday he knows how hard the club are working behind the scenes

The 'final outcome' was last season, when Maguire didn't sign. Imo.

We are a year past it now & starting on Monday. The players we scouted last season, knowing we have a problem, should have been signed along with Torres & Ake, straight away imo.

That's if we are trying to win the title.

If we're not, & we are just rebuilding, Pep is signing a long deal & so we are waiting for the perfect players for the future, then I don't care.

Which if true, would be a one of a kind deal in world football, in terms of structure and commercial value to the CFG. Doesn’t mean that money is available for other signings.

Every season City spend an average of £80m on players. The finance must be there. We have the highest revenues in English football. We have no debt. We have a very wealthy owner.

The suggestion that Manchester City can not afford to replace Kompany does not stand up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.