COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went into lockdown too late, came out too early. All of this was inevitable and the second wave now ramping up in cases and in the media the fear is really gathering momentum. Wait till it's cold and dark outside as well and no-one can get out to do any daily exercise. Second full lockdown just before Xmas and NY I reckon.

Next year f*cked as well as we'll all be out of work...

Lovely stuff.

I really do worry for this generation of kids, my 11 year old did the same (broke down) halfway through lockdown, saying he just desperately wanted face to face interaction with friends.

The hopelessness as a parent of not being able to do anything to help with it too :(

I absolutely do empathise. My little girl seems to have some sort of OCD thing going on these last few months.

We're letting it slide at the moment but she is doing certain tasks which are clearly her trying to maintain control and making her feel safe.

Just keep talking mate. This generation of kids have become independent learners way before their usual time.

My 13-year-old lad broke down crying today when he got home.

He's was told someone has tested positive in his side of the year eight bubble and he must self-isolate for 14 days at home.

Six months off school and he was so happy to be back, having missed so much of his first year at secondary school.

That's 96 kids on his side all being told they could not get the bus or tram home and needed to ring someone urgently to collect them. Kids in tears and panicking. He's at a grammar and some of these pupils come from miles around to go there (another debate)

It was inevitable and back to learning on Microsoft teams - he can cope with it but missing out on the social aspect and deeper understanding of his subject matter, certainly when it has come to sciences and experiments.

Poor kid is crestfallen and is just another casualty of those people who couldn't give a fuck and spread this disease around from the pubs to the parks.

No symptoms and hoping desperately he will be okay.

We have kids going off all the time in our school with ‘symptoms’. Amazingly all these students seem to get immediate tests and almost instantaneous results to say they are all clear to return. So I’m dumbfounded to read all these issues with tests ; )
Needless to say no one is actually checking they have a result.

Tolmie good luck and I am sure all will be well, but this is what most of those who weigh economy v lives forget. Real people are behind the numbers. They are not just statistics to play against one another on theories of virus transmission and what 'seeing how it goes' or 'locking down tight' or comparing what happened here there and everywhere might do.

You mess up a decision and you might end someone's livelihood they have worked for over years. Or scupper a child's future as months to a child are like years to an adult. Or end up with you having to decide whether to see granny on her 90th birthday and risk her survival by doing so.

It is human nature to see it from your personal perspective and experience of life is driven mostly by successful men and too few women. Something most men can never appreciate the importance of as its impact day to day is not part of their experience however empathetic some may be.

Nobody has a monopoly on truth or the right way forward here but it needs a diversity of viewpoints and a willingness to listen to others even if they disagree with what you yourself believe. As somewhere in the melange of debate may be a way forward. Which we all desperately need.

I do wish we could have the wit to run this pandemic with a much broader basis of politicians and scientists and advisors from outside the norms of boarding school and big business. It is too one dimensional. (In the shape of portly blokes mainly).

And a few more women would be a great place to start to offer a different perspective to the one that seems to be too dominant at the tiller of all our lives right now.

I do not expect to see that happen sadly.

I absolutely do empathise. My little girl seems to have some sort of OCD thing going on these last few months.

We're letting it slide at the moment but she is doing certain tasks which are clearly her trying to maintain control and making her feel safe.

Just keep talking mate. This generation of kids have become independent learners way before their usual time.
Absolutely mate, all the best to you and yours.

Tolmie good luck and I am sure all will be well, but this is what most of those who weigh economy v lives forget. Real people are behind the numbers. They are not just statistics to play against one another on theories of virus transmission and what 'seeing how it goes' or 'locking down tight' or comparing what happened here there and everywhere might do.

You mess up a decision and you might end someone's livelihood they have worked for over years. Or scupper a child's future as months to a child are like years to an adult. Or end up with you having to decide whether to see granny on her 90th birthday and risk her survival by doing so.

It is human nature to see it from your personal perspective and experience of life is driven mostly by successful men and too few women. Something most men can never appreciate the importance of as its impact day to day is not part of their experience however empathetic some may be.

Nobody has a monopoly on truth or the right way forward here but it needs a diversity of viewpoints and a willingness to listen to others even if they disagree with what you yourself believe. As somewhere in the melange of debate may be a way forward. Which we all desperately need.

I do wish we could have the wit to run this pandemic with a much broader basis of politicians and scientists and advisors from outside the norms of boarding school and big business. It is too one dimensional. (In the shape of portly blokes mainly).

And a few more women would be a great place to start to offer a different perspective to the one that seems to be too dominant at the tiller of all our lives right now.

I do not expect to see that happen sadly.

Heald Place, you say?

You've come a long way with wisdom such as this.

Not Claremont level, but I doff my cap, Blue ;)

do you have any links to that? as would be interested to read the science behind that
They might be talking about antibody immunity at 20%. I remember reading a study in Stockholm that T-cell immunity was about twice the antibody level, perhaps this one:

I was complaining the other day that the city centre were jam packed inside and out with no distancing at all. Council shut one of them down for 14 days today. Staff at several pubs have contracted it. There is an outbreak from a local gym now. 2 from work are isolating as a result and my boss had to go home with symptoms today and managed to get a test at lunchtime. All very close to home now and I dont like it at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.