Double Pivot

I don't know how you negate this tactic unless you want to shave off a slice of attacking options. We always press, go for possession and we are always on the back foot if you have someone like Traore who can do little else but demonstrate how fleet of foot he is.

Yeah as we will alway dominate the ball and be an attacking team it will always be most teams only way of getting at us. I’d think a return to pressing quickly as a team when we lose the ball and signing a quick centre back would be our best option for dealing with it.

Our greatest strength in 2017/18 was winning the ball high up the pitch, and winning it back as soon as we lost it.

The double pivot steals that away from us.

We're at our attacking and defensive best playing 4-3-3.

I'm not here to bash Gundogan but he most certainly did not "guide us to the title". He played very well in some games and was absolutely bullied in others, almost costing us the title.

He deserves credit but he was hardly world class and dragging us over the finish line.
He never gets bullied.

Different people see different things but for me he was the stand out player in the run in, week after week putting in a high quality performance. Not quite to the level of Yaya in the 2012 run in or even Dzeko in the last few games in 2014 but praiseworthy nonetheless

He never gets bullied.

Different people see different things but for me he was the stand out player in the run in, week after week putting in a high quality performance. Not quite to the level of Yaya in the 2012 run in or even Dzeko in the last few games in 2014 but praiseworthy nonetheless
Gundo is top quality. Probably why pep plays him so often. I like him a lot

Gundo is top quality. Probably why pep plays him so often. I like him a lot
It’s the purity of his technique that draws me in. Pass him any ball in pretty much any situation and he perfectly lays it off first touch to a team mate, right foot or left foot, long ball or short, marked or not - he finds a blue shirt.

That kind of player is important in any team but to a team like us who place such emphasis on controlling possession he’s absolutely vital.

Long live the Gundog

I'm always impressed with the effort blues put into analyzing tactics and setups. I just want us to hoof the ball forward at every opportunity and hope for a goal from a knock down or jammy rebound.

Old habits die hard I guess ;)

Just watch the dippers , that is their main tactic.

He never gets bullied.

The difference between Gundog and Yaya, apart from the bulk, is that I can sit and watch twenty minutes of a game at The Etihad, in days of yore, and not really notice Gundog - he's one of those like GazBaz - puts in the stuff but it's often the dirty unnoticed work, but yer couldn't miss Yaya.

It's an effective formation in certain games and will no doubt be used again this season.
I certainly don't expect to see it on a regular basis though and anybody other than fernandinho plus 1 would likely not be as successful.

The difference between Gundog and Yaya, apart from the bulk, is that I can sit and watch twenty minutes of a game at The Etihad, in days of yore, and not really notice Gundog - he's one of those like GazBaz - puts in the stuff but it's often the dirty unnoticed work, but yer couldn't miss Yaya.
Totally agree, Yaya had strings to his bow that Gundog can only dream of having - that’s what made him the best midfielder in the world for a while.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.