Soriano: B teams in EFL

Borussia Dortmund or Manchester City B in league 2?

Get better at loaning out our players with playing and/or financial potential. Then get better at selling them.

Also we need to start seeing more of our academy products more often in the first team(and I don't just mean as a bench filler). This will lead to our most promising academy products not looking elsewhere once they feel they are ready and then if they do we'll get a lot more money for them.

Finally, Jason Denayer.... Don't treat them like that.

Last edited:
I think the solution is that you change the loan system so we pay for a player to be developed.

10 players is way too many, but what if we sent £5m to a club for taking on 3 of our kids - 3 that play in positions where the club needs help, but also with some guarantees that they're not going to be stuck on the bench all season.

And they get £5m to spend on whatever they need.
You mean like Couto going to Girona to sit on the bench behind Maffeo!

I feel like Holland has been good for our young players in recent years but that's it, all the loans to Spain have done nothing for the players.

Should be a premier 2 the 2 leagues below be revamped to north and south which include B teams those B teams can’t get promoted to premier 2 or go into the conference.

The clubs below won’t have it though they would rather all disappear than compromise.

Also incentive in playing a B team all clubs get a set amount of money when playing a B team you get a draw you get more you win you getting even more money! Do these teams rather go bust than play in a league that has b teams?

With no promotion for these b teams to say the new revamped premier 2 those B teams are not taking away ambitions. The only problem would be teams who end up going into the conference because those B teams won’t want to go down to the conference.

Last edited:
The simplest solution to all of football's financial problems is salary caps.
Why would you want the players to receive less money and the owners to receive more of the profit? because that's all salary caps do. Im sure all the American owners would vote for it. Lets cap Amazons employees wages so Jeff Bezos can make some more money.

Sadly things will change. It is only a matter of time before teams start going to the wall in numbers.

How about a loan draft system. Each club in League 1&2 if they desire can loan up to 5 players from Prem & Champ academies/reserve teams.

The caveat being that the clubs could only loan from certain regions. So the North West clubs such as Rochdale, Oldham, Accrington etc would be able to loan up to 5 players from City, United, Liverpool, Everton and so on. Harrogate and Bradford could loan from Leeds, Sheff United and so on.

You could go as far as to say dependent on finances that determines who gets first pick on certain players. The clubs loaning would be able to say we have these players available for loan to League 1 clubs in our region and these for League 2. Then it would go to 1st pick for the least wealthy club in each region and league and so on until they’ve decided they’ve had enough or filled their 5 player allocation.

The loaning club would pay the wages and be able to recall only by January if they are not being used.

I think something like that could work as it means the players are still being kept local and in some instances you may have a couple at the same club and possibly on loan with a couple from another local club. Rather than being sent to the other end of the country. This could also mean they can still check in at the City Academy say twice a week.

For those where League 1 and 2 are not a high enough level such as Patrick Roberts/Lukas Nmecha for instance I’d still allow those players to be loaned to wherever is deemed suitable.

Essentially the richer clubs would be providing a pool of young players to clubs in their local regions to be dipped into free of charge, with the loaning club getting the young player developed. I think something like that could work rather than B Teams which I’m not a fan of.

The problem with this approach is that the loaning club will have its own style, priorities etc. They will not be interested in *developing* players in the same way as a B team. I think this is one reason why our current system works relatively poorly compared to Spain or Germany.

City won't want to loan out players to some clodhopping team of long ball merchants run by Allardyce.

You don't speak for everyone. Some of us would love to watch all our teams play, some of us do care about our development teams, some fans of EFL clubs would love to watch potential stars of the future and see how their own teams fare against them. Maybe you wouldn't watch, that's your choice but you are not everyone.
Not enough people would watch. We have the numbers from Spain and Germany. They don't even come close to the average attendances for the leagues they're in. Nearly 5000 people aren't going to turn up every week to watch the EDS play Barrow or Morecambe.

Sadly this sort of statement betrays the extent to which senior figures at City just do not understand or value English culture and tradition. It is one of the reasons why a lot of ‘neutral’ fans don’t like us.
Clubs will survive or not, it has always been that way, but the EFL does not exist for our benefit. I went every game home and away during our division 3 season, yes including York, because I believed in the dream that one day we would be back and would be winning things again. The EFL is not a reserve league for the elite and must never be that.
Ahh, the Little Englander outlook. Who wants change when we can blindly carry on walking in to the abyss.

Soriano is quite right that things are heading for a disaster in the lower leagues and has already for some clubs. Does English culture and tradition mean letting historic clubs disappear entirely or is it time to try and save them? You went to York? Yippee fucking do, will you still be telling people 'I went to York' when most will be asking 'did they have a football team back then?' Get it done.

Your first paragraph is just pure bollocks BTW.

Not enough people would watch. We have the numbers from Spain and Germany. They don't even come close to the average attendances for the leagues they're in. Nearly 5000 people aren't going to turn up every week to watch the EDS play Barrow or Morecambe.

Be different in this country with our history.

You mean like Couto going to Girona to sit on the bench behind Maffeo!

I feel like Holland has been good for our young players in recent years but that's it, all the loans to Spain have done nothing for the players.

Maffeo isn't at Girona!

But yes, so often we loan someone and then after a few weeks of being a substitute, they just drop out of the side and never play. It's worst in the lower leagues. Also things like we loan a kid to league 1, he plays for 2 months, then they sack the manager and the new guy drops the kid and doesn't even put them on the bench for 7 months.

CFG teams are normally decent to be fair to them.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.