Liverpool (H) - Post-Match Thread

not great. i miss out spine. will we get back to the levels of our greats?!

Genuine question but is this exactly what we have been calling for?

How many times have we said we need to tighten up at the back, not only with a new centre half but also with our formation.

We have done so this season but the trade off is that we are nowhere near as attacking and expansive as in the past. Today was typical of a match we could have won or lost 4-2 over the last 3 seasons. I suspect that as we are not firing on all cylinders at present Pep is being a lot more pragmatic. Win our game in hand and we are only 2 points behind the dippers, if we had lost today then best case we would still be 5 points behind.

One of the few who gets it.

I thought we were going to get mullered after 25 mins and was seriously thinking Pep had come to the end of his line but the goal changed everything and it was pretty level after that.

Marks out of ten

Pep (4)
Out thought with the 424 they played early on and we looked shit scared and very, very slow and predictable. Improved the team in the second half but I think that was more due to the change in tempo the goal brought rather than anything different Pep did. We should have gone for it with 20 left as they were there for the taking but again we were ponderous and looked very scared and happy to take a point. Understandable but a bit gutless. Also can't believe he only made one sub. Don't moan about 5 subs and fatigue if you haven't got the balls to make the subs when needed (eg Phil for Kev)

Eddy (5)
Looked a bit shaky at times. Lucky with a few indecisions. Footwork brilliant as usual

Kyle (5)
Worst game for us for a while and stupid challenge again for the pen. His pace got him out of a few bad moments

Cancello (8)
Really good game and looks like our best option at left back by far

Ruben (7)
Solid again. Skinned once by Mane but recovered quickly. Marshalled the line well again

Laporte (8)
Pretty faultless and solid

Rodri (6)
Broke a lot of attacks up but sloppy and slow on the ball

Gundog (4)
Awful passing by his standards. Not really sure what he offered today. Rubbish at number 8, very good at number 6

Kev (5)
Shocker by his standards. Awful pen, wayward passes and looked injured/fatigued. Still better than most even when he's off colour but should have come off for Phil at about 70 mins but signalled to the bench to keep him on. Admiral but wrong decision.

Torres (6)
Bright at times but didn't see much of the ball. Probably right to bring him off. Did nothing wrong

Raheem (5)
Obviously a threat most of the game but made really bad decisions throughout in attacking positions

Gabby (8)
Superb performance and brilliant goal. Missed a sitter though when it really mattered with his 50 pence head. His movement and ball control was utterly brilliant though and what we have been missing

Bernie (7)
Gave us energy and threat down that side although I wish he'd started in the middle instead of Gunda or Rodri

I thought we were going to get mullered after 25 mins and was seriously thinking Pep had come to the end of his line but the goal changed everything and it was pretty level after that.

Marks out of ten

Pep (4)
Out thought with the 424 they played early on and we looked shit scared and very, very slow and predictable. Improved the team in the second half but I think that was more due to the change in tempo the goal brought rather than anything different Pep did. We should have gone for it with 20 left as they were there for the taking but again we were ponderous and looked very scared and happy to take a point. Understandable but a bit gutless. Also can't believe he only made one sub. Don't moan about 5 subs and fatigue if you haven't got the balls to make the subs when needed (eg Phil for Kev)

Eddy (5)
Looked a bit shaky at times. Lucky with a few indecisions. Footwork brilliant as usual

Kyle (5)
Worst game for us for a while and stupid challenge again for the pen. His pace got him out of a few bad moments

Cancello (8)
Really good game and looks like our best option at left back by far

Ruben (7)
Solid again. Skinned once by Mane but recovered quickly. Marshalled the line well again

Laporte (8)
Pretty faultless and solid

Rodri (6)
Broke a lot of attacks up but sloppy and slow on the ball

Gundog (4)
Awful passing by his standards. Not really sure what he offered today. Rubbish at number 8, very good at number 6

Kev (5)
Shocker by his standards. Awful pen, wayward passes and looked injured/fatigued. Still better than most even when he's off colour but should have come off for Phil at about 70 mins but signalled to the bench to keep him on. Admiral but wrong decision.

Torres (6)
Bright at times but didn't see much of the ball. Probably right to bring him off. Did nothing wrong

Raheem (5)
Obviously a threat most of the game but made really bad decisions throughout in attacking positions

Gabby (8)
Superb performance and brilliant goal. Missed a sitter though when it really mattered with his 50 pence head. His movement and ball control was utterly brilliant though and what we have been missing

Bernie (7)
Gave us energy and threat down that side although I wish he'd started in the middle instead of Gunda or Rodri

Think you've spelled your screen name wrong.

Maybe so, but how do you replace one of the best attacking midfielders with possibly the best off the ball movement in the past decade? There's literally no player we can sign that'll replicate what he did.
Tiago was that player. Liverpool bought him.

Some of the leaders, i.e. Walker, KDB and Sterling, weren't at their best today and the whole team suffered from it.

Liverpool's pressing was impressive and in combination with the heavy rain it was difficult for us to play our normal technical game. Normally, we evade the press through quick passing but today the circumstances favoured the more physical team of Liverpool.

We are slowly turning things around. We need Jesus to stay fit, Kevin and Raz to regain form, Dias and Laporte to get used to each other, Cancelo and Torres to continue to establish themselves.

Personally, I think this team will be unstoppable in 1-2 months.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.