Spurs (A) - Post-Match Thread

I thought Jesus looked the most dangerous and most "on it" of all our attacking players yesterday to be fair...
Yes but to what ultimate purpose? Everyone keeps saying "we need striker" "we are missing Agüero". Isn't that Jesus's responsibility yet ? we had 22 shots 10 corners and 0 goals.

What annoys me about yesterday (apart from the result, the below par perfomanace from some key players and the hand / shoulder ball incident) is why was Aguero on the bench?

He's either there in case we are losing a need goals(!!!) or he wanted a trip down to London to do some xmas shopping...

If Pep had no intention if risking Aguero yesterday then why take him at all and why not have Delap on the bench???? From what I've seen of Delap (which I admit isn't a lot) he's the type of player that's a real handful for defences - I would have loved to see him have a crack at Spurs yesterday but.... *Sigh*
My thoughts exactly.

There is a serious over reaction to our poor performances during these unprecedented times.

ust It didn`t just start this season and because of covid. This started last season. The fact people don`t seem to give a flying fuck that our manager has been found out or the team could be 13th after today is laughable.

Failing to react to the problems we have will see us struggling for mid-table.

Although we on this forum disagree we all I would presume want the club to succeed.

What annoys me about yesterday (apart from the result, the below par perfomanace from some key players and the hand / shoulder ball incident) is why was Aguero on the bench?

He's either there in case we are losing a need goals(!!!) or he wanted a trip down to London to do some xmas shopping...

If Pep had no intention if risking Aguero yesterday then why take him at all and why not have Delap on the bench???? From what I've seen of Delap (which I admit isn't a lot) he's the type of player that's a real handful for defences - I would have loved to see him have a crack at Spurs yesterday but.... *Sigh*
Delap would have been an unknown for spurs. I think we do need a forward like delap someone who will put himself about. Again we could have put Torres in the middle and Jesus on the wing, which i think is Jesus best position. I like to see a big forward at times and both Torres and Delap like that.

Aa team with players of our ability should be scoring at least once from 22 shots even when it is not a parade of clear cut chances but the quality of the strikes was not good enough.

Not for the first time, I think a lot of the problem is mental. Our lack of league goals I'm sure means the players are not relaxed enough when the strike the ball.

The problem is exacerbated by conceding early to a team sitting deep with something to hold onto.

Of course the shot that presumably isn't on those stats is the one that did go in and got chalked off, wrongly in my view but I'm not sure if that is down to my eyesight or the state of the current handball rule; anyway, it didn't look like a clear and obvious handball offence to me.

The goal first goal conceded was all about what was going on in the players' heads. They made a series of errors. Bernie sold himself unnecessarily, Laporte vacated his space unnecessarily, Cancelo was unnecessarily slow to react but was I think making up ground, and, worst of all from my point of view, Ederson unnecessarily darted off his line. had Eddie stayed home and Son produced the same shot, it would have been a back pass.

Ederson then made the same mistake for the second goal. The second goal started from an error by Mahrez, who made a poor pass to unnecessarily concede possession.

No doubt this thread if full of people telling Pep how to do his job but when you produce stats like that, time and again, and then lose because, whichever set of players you choose, they make too many crucial errors, it must be very difficult to be convinced they won't make those errors if you change your tactics.
Sound analysis. You mention the word ‘early’, and I think that is important. I’d almost rather we actually played with a consciously more defensive mindset for the first quarter of games, because to concede so early doesn’t give the players the chance to settle in to the game, and immediately increases the stress levels in the players (because of how rarely historically we have comeback from that scenario). That stress factor then feeds into our shooting and finishing for the rest of the game.

Agree on Ederson. He probably does stay too far out, simply because that is his default position for 80/90% of the time in matches so it’s habitual I guess. I also agree re the disallowed goal- it certainly wasn’t a clear and obvious handball to my eyes!

The creative players have run out of ideas.

They are creating very few quality chances & their shooting is powderpuff or wide.

City used to be all about moments where you go 'fuck' because of a piece of unexpected brilliance & sometimes that was followed by another one & another. KDB alone would sometimes produce 5 or 6 per game.

This season they are few. KDB still produces one or two, but the stuff he produces in between is weary shite & often he is picking the wrong pass or over hitting it, in simple situations. Bernardo is just Gundogan, quicker. Mahrez is almost playing like it's a wind up. Sterling runs head first into people.

Jesus is actually coming up with quite a lot of stuff but has nobody near him. Torres can do, but goes straight into his shell. Foden is up & down.

To get away with that, we need to be rock solid at the other end. Letting Kane have total freedom is not 'rock solid' Laporte might as well have been Garcia for the first goal.

But if we had the old Fernandinho, Kane would not be swanning around midfield.

And that's not knocking Rodri, who I thought was our best player. He just can't read that stuff like Fern did.

Pep's current plan just seems to be to patch up KDB & Sterling & send them out there, & expect that their quality will prevail. He might be right. I suspect sending them both home for a month, would be better.

My attempt at a solution would be trying things like: more kids involved, a strike partner for Jesus, & crucially, drilling a SOLID back 4 & holding mid, to form a unit who are not opened up by the simple sucker punch until we get our game back.

Rest the top players more, hope nobody runs away with the title meanwhile, go for it full blast in the New Year.

What we are currently doing, won't work imo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.