Media Thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harris was wide open to any legal action for defamation and in my view City would have won any case. Introducing defamatory information in the form of a question makes no difference. The allegation was broadcast on TV and re-published on websites.
The media have some legal protection from information they mention during any press conference known as Qualified Privilege but to use this defence they would have to show they had been fair, balanced, and accurate in their coverage and Harris has done none of this. If we had sued him he would have to prove what he alleged is true. He made it worse by repeating it online after the conference.
For example if a journalist randomly asked someone at a public press conference: "What's your reaction to being called a paedophile," they would be open to an action for defamation and they would require strong evidence to support their allegation in any subsequent civil action.
To accuse Pep of being a criminal (tax evasion) is almost as bad as it gets for a public figure. What Harris did was reckless and unprofessional and would have cost him his job in many media organisations.
I have no idea whey City let this one lie or why Hariss's employers, the AP agency, did not take action against him.
Great reply.
I think the employers are a major part of the issue. The individual journalists are under direction, or at least encouraged, and are pulling the strings.
In your considered opinion why do the club not take a more severe approach in terms of litigation.

Watching Football focus and it really is surprising how little some ex-footballers understand about the game, yet are given a platform to speak.

Most listening to football focus(You excluded) will have little knowledge of football either-)

Watching Football focus and it really is surprising how little some ex-footballers understand about the game, yet are given a platform to speak.
100%. I went to school for a few years as a kid, but it doesn’t make me an expert on learning. I used to work in a chippy, but it’s doesn’t mean I can give expert advice on the workings of a fish & chip shop, etc.

I’d much rather here managers/ex-managers or coaches speak than players. It still doesn’t guarantee insight, but makes the probability at tad higher I reckon.

Most listening to football focus(You excluded) will have little knowledge of football either-)
But they will know how much fhe BBC love to feature rags and dippers. Not to mention the time devoted to Maradona.

And now some old biddy from Essex talking shit about how she has coped without United.
Walkies , Mabel. Even though its pissing down.

Great reply.
I think the employers are a major part of the issue. The individual journalists are under direction, or at least encouraged, and are pulling the strings.
In your considered opinion why do the club not take a more severe approach in terms of litigation.
I don't understand why City have not been more proactive in their media management. I don't think they should be suing people all the time. That's always a poor strategy because it sucks the life out your own organisation and is just too time consuming. But there are times when you have to hit back and a few selected legal actions would have a huge impact on the behaviour of other media groups.
I can only assume that City take a very global view of things and don't want CFG to get dragged into lots of local disputes. The bigger picture is there is a huge worldwide information war going on between the rulers of Qatar and Abu Dhabi. The last thing Sheikh Mansour wants is to be dragged into that.
The Rob Harris situation is a strange one. He works for a respected news agency AP which has a commercial requirement to be politically impartial. It is a trusted brand with a good reputation (unlike the UK tabloids which are not credible these days).
And yet Rob Harris seems happy to appear on Qatari propaganda outlet Al Jazeera TV and he has been overtly political in his coverage of City on social media. At the same time he has made defamatory allegations about our manager which have not been backed up by any evidence.
Sometimes not taking action can lead people to believe that we may actually have something to hide. (I don't believe this to be the case but it provides fuel for our enemies)

Turn on the TV to immediately hear Matt Critchley explaining it's the worst start to a season for 12 years for City....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.