COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know they can't know everything,you'd think they would speak to another doctor or the likes....google though.
To be fair google is a pretty catch all term these days for checking online, could have been a professional medical ref site he was looking on, or maybe not :)

Another one at work got it - only a handful in the office today - never seen it as quiet ever.

Another one at work got it - only a handful in the office today - never seen it as quiet ever.
Sorry to hear that, we went back to home working a couple of months back. The risk of us all coming down with it from an office contact or even having to self isolate would cause us immense difficulties visiting sites. No easy solution to this awful mess at present.

Wow, that really brings home the shift from the NW.

Must be a bonus typing relatively good news recently.

It is very heartening to do that, yes, thank you. But I will only ever post the news. Trying not to spin it. As it can change just as easily in the other direction unfortunately.

There are plenty of people out there happy to spin the data for whatever reason. I try to stay neutral as I understand this can go either way from day to day and events often get in the way of optimism. Politicians also face a near impossible challenge weaving a path through this mess and nobody will get everything right.

But hope is helpful to me over recent days as someone I know died over the weekend after testing positive and spending a month in hospital unable to be visited even by family until the very end.

She had caught it after two younger people she lived with both got infected (nobody knows where) but they brushed it off fairly quickly. Though one of them was quite ill at home despite being young. They had to self isolate and stay off work a second time after she (presumably) caught it from them even though her positive test was in the final days of their own isolation after catching it themselves.

Sadly she (the mum of one of the two younger people) finally got home after a month in hospital last week for only two days after they took ages to create a 'care package' she never actually needed. She was on a little oxygen for just a day or so in hospital right at the start but recovered from Covid and a week later tested negative and was seemingly clear of it for about 3 weeks but was kept on a Covid ward waiting to go home. Still unable to see her family.

I thought this was what the Nightingale hospitals were built to avoid having to do - especially as this was during the period we were told NW hospitals were in danger of being overrun and indeed had just exceeded the numbers with Covid that they had in there during April. Though happily they have come down since.

So this lady did not literally die of Covid but nobody will know if it was a reason why she died and she may well become another person who 'did' within the numbers today. Meaning the true lives lost either WITH or BECAUSE OF Covid will never be known as it is just impossible to be sure in so many cases like this.

I suspect before this is over the majority of us will know someone who has become a victim and it does bring home to you the real tragedy that is unfolding around us and easier to get frustrated in a selfish way about its impact on you until that day comes and you really see how bad this disease can be.

So - yes - I am glad of any good news I can report. But mindful that this can change in the blink of an eye unless and until we get a real solution such as a working vaccine that in real life not the lab tests suppresses this to a level we can live through with a degree of normality.

Hopefully to be better prepared the next time something like this happens. As it will happen again and nobody knows when.

As Kaz and others say on here often - I post statistics but these numbers are more than that. They are people and lives and every tragedy ripples across families and becomes an emotional bombshell for many.

You do not need to confront this head on to understand that. But for those who just want to go to the pub or watch City play and not face yet more imposed restrictions I get that frustration entirely. Especially as livelihoods are at stake too - not just lives. As the collapse of Debenhams and thousands of jobs today shows.

But I just hope that those who feel this way do not have to lose someone they know first before the seriousness of this disease and the reason why hard things need to be asked of us all gets through to them.

Last edited:
It is very heartening to do that, yes, thank you. But I will only ever post the news. Trying not to spin it. As it can change just as easily in the other direction unfortunately.

There are plenty of people out there happy to spin the data for whatever reason. I try to stay neutral as I understand this can go either way from day to day and events often get in the way of optimism. Politicians also face a near impossible challenge weaving a path through this mess and nobody will get everything right.

But hope is helpful to me over recent days as someone I know died over the weekend after testing positive and spending a month in hospital unable to be visited even by family until the very end.

She had caught it after two younger people she lived with both got infected (nobody knows where) but they brushed it off fairly quickly. Though one of them was quite ill at home despite being young. They had to self isolate and stay off work a second time after she (presumably) caught it from them even though her positive test was in the final days of their own isolation after catching it themselves.

Sadly she (the mum of one of the two younger people) finally got home after a month in hospital last week for only two days after they took ages to create a 'care package' she never actually needed. She was on a little oxygen for just a day or so in hospital right at the start but recovered from Covid and a week later tested negative and was seemingly clear of it for about 3 weeks but was kept on a Covid ward waiting to go home. Still unable to see her family.

I thought this was what the Nightingale hospitals were built to avoid having to do - especially as this was during the period we were told NW hospitals were in danger of being overrun and indeed had just exceeded the numbers with Covid that they had in there during April. Though happily they have come down since.

So this lady did not literally die of Covid but nobody will know if it was a reason why she died and she may well become another person who 'did' within the numbers today. Meaning the true lives lost either WITH or BECAUSE OF Covid will never be known as it is just impossible to be sure in so many cases like this.

I suspect before this is over the majority of us will know someone who has become a victim and it does bring home to you the real tragedy that is unfolding around us and easier to get frustrated in a selfish way about its impact on you until that day comes and you really see how bad this disease can be.

So - yes - I am glad of any good news I can report. But mindful that this can change in the blink of an eye unless and until we get a real solution such as a working vaccine that in real life not the lab tests suppresses this to a level we can live through with a degree of normality.

Hopefully to be better prepared the next time something like this happens. As it will happen again and nobody knows when.

As Kaz and others say on here often - I post statistics but these numbers are more than that. They are people and lives and every tragedy ripples across families and as an emotional bombshell for many.

You do not need to confront this head on to understand that. But for those who just want to go to the pub or watch City play and not face yet more imposed restrictions I get that frustration entirely. Especially as livelihoods are at stake too - not just lives. As the collapse of Debenhams and thousands of jobs today shows.

But I just hope that those who feel this way do not have to lose someone they know first before the seriousness of this disease and the reason why hard thins need to be asked of us all gets through to them.

Sorry to hear that HP

in terms of vaccination, can't we just do a similar thing as for election day? even use the polling stations? one big day, 6am to 11pm, nearly all staff on duty, few nurses to administer and volunteers to help. or is this just far to fanciful? should get through 50% of the population
Great idea.
and get retired nurses etc (vaccinate them first obviously) to administer. Conveyer belt.

im sure someone will tell us why not ?

Great idea.
and get retired nurses etc (vaccinate them first obviously) to administer. Conveyer belt.

im sure someone will tell us why not ?
The GP's will want to do it as they'll be getting paid around £12 a pop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.