Comedy Genius.

I own a couple of Derek & Clive albums on vinyl. Don't own a record player anymore and haven't listened to 'em for ages but absolute classics of the comedy genre. Not for anyone easily offended though.
Always remember the Jump song !

Spike Milligan, Rik Mayall...comic bones, never trying to be funny, just funny.

Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett...clever, intelligent funny.

Bill Bailey, talented funny.

Spike started my comedy love, reading his war memories. Seeing him on tv just being stupid. Python continued it with the silly stuff and the absolutely brilliant Life of Brian.

And then...

Out of all of my comedy heroes Rik stands out. Just by being Rik Fucking Mayall he moved comedy from the "my mother in law..." jokes of the 70's into something different but immensely watchable. And funny. Saw the Dangerous Brothers in the tunnel club in London in the early 80's and it was absolutely stupid, funny, rude and mental.

Once met him in a pub in London, he didn't talk about himself but just asked me questions, how was I, what did I do for a job etc etc all the while winking at the barmaid whenever she came past. After a few beers I had to go. He shook my hand and then loudly called me a ****.

I beamed all year. Still do when I remember it.

Sitcom wise, Fawlty Towers is the yardstick. 12 beautifully written episodes. Loved Blackadder. Some great lines and characters. The ending was beautiful.

Last edited:
Its a shame there are no comedy greats around at the moment it's are all the same rubbish nothing makes me laugh like comedy of 20+ years ago.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.