Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was surprised by that, I would have been pleased with anything over 1 mill and getting up to 2 next week. If they have hit 2 last week will be very good news. Of course it is Hancock always a chance he miss spoke.Lets hope not.

I think it's a misread of his comments. The quotes on Reuters are fine.

Looking at the comments on Reuters, I'm certain that's what he said, just that the last week outstripped December

2 million of the most vulnerable is good news and will surely soon start to have an impact on deaths and illness. I can hear an ambulance siren as I type this. Such horrid times for people. Sadly in some ways the combination of how contagious this latest strain is and the vaccine roll out getting faster will help us get to a higher degree of immunity quicker. Not far off a million people catching it in the last week I would imagine. Circa half a million officially and I would imagine same again not actually tested. 20 percent of Manchester of London have already had it already.

2 million of the most vulnerable is good news and will surely soon start to have an impact on deaths and illness. I can hear an ambulance siren as I type this. Such horrid times for people. Sadly in some ways the combination of how contagious this latest strain is and the vaccine roll out getting faster will help us get to a higher degree of immunity quicker. Not far off a million people catching it in the last week I would imagine. Circa half a million officially and I would imagine same again not actually tested. 20 percent of Manchester of London have already had it already.

I think the %age of over 80s will be interesting to hear, and how those 2 million break down.

I agree that the figures suggest that infection rate is going to be difficult to slow down.

I think the %age of over 80s will be interesting to hear, and how those 2 million break down.

I agree that the figures suggest that infection rate is going to be difficult to slow down.

on your last point mate surely it has to at some point as the r has to lessen when it has less people to infect as they have a degree of immunity to not get infected.

on your last point mate surely it has to at some point as the r has to lessen when it has less people to infect as they have a degree of immunity to not get infected.

That's the most likely thing I can see, yes. Only a %age of people will be mixing and will be possible.

This is one of the reasons why the govt's current plan to vaccinate the over 70s then open up will fail.

Whilst reducing deaths massively, it will prevent less than half of ICU admissions, but almost certainly provoke a huge spike in infections, which could easily put them back to higher than now.

Personally, I don't think a policy to hospitalise millions of u70s and keep ICUs overstretched is right.

Johnson's "we can start to relax by mid feb" is doomed; I only hope the inevitable u turn comes sooner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.