Have you ever moved/lived abroad? What was your experiences, best advice?

That is really interesting my wife is Shona and has consistently said the place was a paradise before the sanctions, admittedly they don't live in Mbari or the HDA. I always find it interesting that her father for instance thought Rhodesia for all it's flaws was better than Zim but her Aunt despised it and even in the current state would never go back

Amazing place but my god it is basket case. I've travelled a fair bit I've never seen anything like it, even trying to spend or use money is a challenge.

Have you been back at all?
I have never been back. Always intended to but as things stand cannot see it happening. My mother is still in contact with a friend of hers who refused to move as 2 of her children are buried on her land and the stories she tells are truly horrific.

If you move to a non-English speaking country, learn the language and immerse yourself.

Particularly in times like these we are reminded that life is short & precious, live it to the fullest so experience as much as you can and do not be afraid to step out of your comfort zone - that includes a different language/culture

Lived for 9 years in Jersey, 8 months in Tenerife and just over a year in LA.
Loved all of it.

Split up with first Mrs after 18 years together , went to New York ( Long Island ) for 10 months sort myself out . Had a fantastic time , wish I’d gone 19 years earlier
Worked in LI for a year, getting drunk in the Irish times (Holbrook) early Saturday mornings to watch the footy.

Lived in Switzerland for 3 years and Berlin for 2 years. Some of the best experiences of my life. Helped my career and broadened my horizons, wouldn’t swap it for the world. Will aim to go back and live in Switzerland one day work allowing

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.