Have you ever moved/lived abroad? What was your experiences, best advice?

Spent just over a year in Japan teaching English in Osaka back in the late 90's.

It was fantastic. Among other things I enjoyed terrific company, ate stupendous food, visited active volcanoes, stayed in ryokans to sample their onsen and rotenburo facilities, watched a sumo tournament (and met Konishiki - the famous 'Dump Truck'), saw Cerezo Osaka FC in action, became fascinated with Japanese literature/poetry (especially the Tale Of Genji - a stunning medieval psychological novel), and Japanese cinema.

Kyoto, Nara, Kagoshima, Beppu and Hakodate were all truly memorable places visited.

Was already familiar with Buddhism before I got there but the subsequent discovery of mystical realist Soto Zen was an eye-opener.

It's a great place to spend time after graduating (though I went when I was 35) and will hopefully be an option again for travellers if we ever get past this wretched virus.
Really, really love Japan.
If there is reincarnation, I hope I'm Japanese.

When I spoke to a Zimbabwean ex pat, she told me it was Mugabe's second wife that corrupted him, that's when the country's fortunes changed for the worse
I would disagree with this. My dad got us out as soon as we knew there was going to be a "free" election. Mugabe said prior to the election that if he was elected it would be dangerous for whites or their employees to remain in the country. We knew he would win the election as, at the time, he came from the biggest tribe & they would all vote for him. The sad thing is that his enforcer is now in charge.

There are 2 reasons for moving abroad, work or retirement. As many have said already if it is for work you need to fully immerse into the job or you will be out petty quick. The off days and the chance to travel makes up for it. It is difficult when friends and family come to visit as they get the impression that life is a long holiday. Either way you should jump at any opportunity

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.