Running thread

Anyone live around the Altrincham area know of any hills I could do hill sprints on?

I walked to work with 2 stone in weights in a bag on Tuesday, the killer was doing the same on the way home. It’s about 3½ miles each way.

I’m going to run it on Monday morning, just hoping it’s not going to be too icy!

Doing it more as a challenge rather than training for a specific event. I've done 5 or 6 HMs over the last few years and I cycle a lot too, so time availability is the biggest factor.

My point really is I've never continually clocked up long distances unless I was training towards an event. Lockdown has done away with the events for now, which got me to thinking that once I got back up to the distance, I would like to keep clocking them up. Once a quarter coincided with a club that popped up on Strava but why stop there? Once a month felt logical but as you and others have already said, it's possible to do it more frequently - just need to ensure I don't stress the body.

I think I will do the one I planned towards the end of this month then see how I fee. If ok, I'll do another in March and take it from there.
Sounds good. The key factor is to get up to a decent overall weekly mileage. I'd say that as long as you're regularly doing, say, 20+ miles per week (including one long, slow run around double figures in distance) then the occasional half marathon would be feasible. It's a different matter if you're aiming to go fast but if it's only about covering the distance, then that would be OK.

I'm trying to maintain 30 to 35k per week, in two or three sessions. Looking forward to spring, when I'll be out five or six days per week hopefully.

At my most comfortable running pace, my heart rate is in the zone 4 threshold. I just can't slow down enough to maintain any distance in the aerobic zone 3. I would say 95% of my runs are in zone 4.
Are you sure about this mate? In the threshold zone, you would typically be able to run for up to an hour, after which point you would have to stop due to exhaustion. Threshold runs are hard and it's not normal to be able to do them multiple times in a week. It's often described as 'controlled discomfort' so the fact that you said that you're at your 'most comfortable' in that zone does make me wonder. Is there any possibility that you've miscalculated your HR zones?

Yep I have this problem, my last couple of slow runs my average heart rate has been 153, it needs to be 152 to drop into zone 3 but I just can't seem to get it, that's running nearly 10 min miles as oppose to my regular 8 min miles.
Do you mind if I ask how you calculated your HR zones mate? Could it be that they're not what you think they are, or not what they used to be? Could your fitness have changed since you last worked them out, meaning that the HR zones will now be very different?

Anyone tried running with ankle weights, am "weighing" up giving it a go
I used to own some but never really used them, Gaz. I remember doing a bit of reading around the subject and they were discouraged. To be honest, I can't remember the scientific basis but I do remember that it put me off. I guess if the elite runners don't do it, it's probably not effective but I couldn't say for sure.

Do you mind if I ask how you calculated your HR zones mate? Could it be that they're not what you think they are, or not what they used to be? Could your fitness have changed since you last worked them out, meaning that the HR zones will now be very different?
I haven’t worked them out mate, my watch did (garmin fenix 6). Only set it up a few weeks back

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.