Diabetes

Often for D2 this is all it takes for most people, Unfortunately, the discipline for keeping on top of both is beyond a lot of folk. Simple walking, cycling etc would cover the exercise -as I sit on this comfy chair! -, but the stuff I like to eat isn't always the best so I hover on the borderline!
I've just had chickpea and edemame beans in a bowl as a 'snack'. It replaced my usual 2 bags of McCoy's Flaming Grilled Steak.
I'm not happy about it.

I've just had chickpea and edemame beans in a bowl as a 'snack'. It replaced my usual 2 bags of McCoy's Flaming Grilled Steak.
I'm not happy about it.
My advice would be to have just the ONE bag! Chickpeas? Is there any taste to them? My ERO and his fiancee eat chickpeas and avocado like I eat apples, and despite all the stuff written about avocados they seem tasteless and slimy! I can manage one baked in the oven with an egg!. And the number of 'good' recipes for keeping D2 under control often have aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh some sniff of curry in them, Not for me.

My advice would be to have just the ONE bag! Chickpeas? Is there any taste to them? My ERO and his fiancee eat chickpeas and avocado like I eat apples, and despite all the stuff written about avocados they seem tasteless and slimy! I can manage one baked in the oven with an egg!. And the number of 'good' recipes for keeping D2 under control often have aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh some sniff of curry in them, Not for me.
To be honest mate I only had a glance at what snacks is good for this yesterday. Found a website with the supposed best 21 you can have, and chickpeas were on it. I roasted them with a bit of peri rub for flavour. Snacks is my problem. We eat pretty decent. Always veg and fish, but of course weekend means a free for all. Snacks though, well lets say 'share bag' isn't in my vocabulary.
Surprisingly Biltong/Jerky is harmless too for this, and that's definitely up my street.

When I was diagnosed with T2D, almost 4 years ago now, I bought a book called the 8 week blood sugar diet by Michael Mosley.
I read it from cover to cover first, then planned a diet and kept a journal.
My bsg was at first diagnosed as 19, after one week on the diet it was down to 8.5.
The nurse nearly fell off her chair asking how I had done it.
To be fair I have never eaten yoghurt in my life up until that time, I was 59 then.
Now I eat full fat Greek yoghurt every day for breakfast, Fage and Aldi being the best. Usually have it with fresh berries and flaked almonds. Occasionally I chop up a pear, or open a tin of oranges for a change.
Sadly I have let things slide and my bsg back up to 8 or 9.
I have been eating a lot of bread and sweet things tho.
This week I've gone back on the diet and will keep a journal of everything I eat. The thing is to try keep below 800 calories a day.
It's not easy. But when you walk round a supermarket just avoid the middle section, crisps, biscuits, shite basically.
Also I have developed heart disease but my cardiologist reckons it more likely hereditary as my overall diet is pretty good.
Mainly a Mediterranean style diet but without the pasta, rice and spuds.
Just waiting on the hospitals to reopen so I can go have my heart bypass operation.
Then I'll look at being given another chance to look after myself properly.

When I was diagnosed with T2D, almost 4 years ago now, I bought a book called the 8 week blood sugar diet by Michael Mosley.
I read it from cover to cover first, then planned a diet and kept a journal.
My bsg was at first diagnosed as 19, after one week on the diet it was down to 8.5.
The nurse nearly fell off her chair asking how I had done it.
To be fair I have never eaten yoghurt in my life up until that time, I was 59 then.
Now I eat full fat Greek yoghurt every day for breakfast, Fage and Aldi being the best. Usually have it with fresh berries and flaked almonds. Occasionally I chop up a pear, or open a tin of oranges for a change.
Sadly I have let things slide and my bsg back up to 8 or 9.
I have been eating a lot of bread and sweet things tho.
This week I've gone back on the diet and will keep a journal of everything I eat. The thing is to try keep below 800 calories a day.
It's not easy. But when you walk round a supermarket just avoid the middle section, crisps, biscuits, shite basically.
Also I have developed heart disease but my cardiologist reckons it more likely hereditary as my overall diet is pretty good.
Mainly a Mediterranean style diet but without the pasta, rice and spuds.
Just waiting on the hospitals to reopen so I can go have my heart bypass operation.
Then I'll look at being given another chance to look after myself properly.
Greek yoghurt was on the site I found yesterday and I had some earlier, with sliced pears. I like that kind of stuff but man I missed my toast and marmite. I don't have figures yet, or even a full diagnosis but something is off. When I get all that, around 2 weeks, I can plan properly. I love fish and med veg. But like tonight it's curry night, so white rice. I'm fucking paranoid now until I get to speak to the doc.

From what I've read, T2D is mostly caused by carbs/glucose. Sugar doesn't seem to be a big factor.
The problem is fatty deposits from glucose being retained first around your gut, then your liver, then finally the pancreas. Once this happens the pancreas can't produce natural insulin and your blood sugar glucose rises!
I've only just jumped on this thread so will post some more at the end of current postings!

Sugar is made up from Glucose and Fructose. so does go hand in hand to some extent.

While being overweight is a factor its not the only one. I recall seeing an interview with one of the Tour De France cyclers who was saying he was pre diabetic and his doc said hit was guranteed he was going to get it, just a matter of when. it was all down to having to have the high calorie diet when he was cycling.
Hence why I said the biggest risk factor, not the only! Lot's of environmental and genetic factors play their roles, but obesity is going to increase your risk significantly.
From what I've read, T2D is mostly caused by carbs/glucose. Sugar doesn't seem to be a big factor.
The problem is fatty deposits from glucose being retained first around your gut, then your liver, then finally the pancreas. Once this happens the pancreas can't produce natural insulin and your blood sugar glucose rises!
I've only just jumped on this thread so will post some more at the end of current postings!
Just as clarification, carbohydrates and glucose are sugars.

As you've eluded to though and as I've mentioned, it's not the consumption of sugars itself that will cause diabetes.

Greek yoghurt was on the site I found yesterday and I had some earlier, with sliced pears. I like that kind of stuff but man I missed my toast and marmite. I don't have figures yet, or even a full diagnosis but something is off. When I get all that, around 2 weeks, I can plan properly. I love fish and med veg. But like tonight it's curry night, so white rice. I'm fucking paranoid now until I get to speak to the doc.
You don't need to have white rice with your curry.Replace it with a cauli 'rice' and you will notice no difference when the sauce soaks in,yet you will save yourself the unnecessary calories and the elevated blood sugar spike.

Choose a healthier curry too,such as a Shashlick which has a separate sauce,that way you can control the amount you poor on your plate and even choose a healthier sauce.

You don't need to have white rice with your curry.Replace it with a cauli 'rice' and you will notice no difference when the sauce soaks in,yet you will save yourself the unnecessary calories and the elevated blood sugar spike.

Choose a healthier curry too,such as a Shashlick which has a separate sauce,that way you can control the amount you poor on your plate and even choose a healthier sauce.
Had a read before and Basmati isn't too bad. I'll just have to have less, and there lies the problem.

Had a read before and Basmati isn't too bad. I'll just have to have less, and there lies the problem.

Basmati is lower on the GI however........'Isnt too bad' or good for you and you will notice no difference? Your choice.

The veg rice will also fill you up for longer as you can have far more and its slower release.

Drink more water too when you think you are hungry.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.