Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently, Covid cases had been rising fast in prisons across Greater Manchester and particularly Strangeways

The 'hotspots' where Covid cases have doubled
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c.../covid-case-rates-greater-manchester-19897254

This wouldn't surprise me. I posted a couple of weeks ago about an outbreak within a prison in my own region (East Ayrshire), 260 infected including 23 or 27 staff I think it was. To put that into perspective, the whole of North, East and South Ayrshire combined today posted 39 new infections and have been averaging around 60-70 of recent. Huge outbreaks such as that can easily skew regional figures, not that it doesn't warrant attention mind you. Prisons and such like have huge 'hotspot' potential.

This wouldn't surprise me. I posted a couple of weeks ago about an outbreak within a prison in my own region (East Ayrshire), 260 infected including 23 or 27 staff I think it was. To put that into perspective, the whole of North, East and South Ayrshire combined today posted 39 new infections and have been averaging around 60-70 of recent. Huge outbreaks such as that can easily skew regional figures, not that it doesn't warrant attention mind you. Prisons and such like have huge 'hotspot' potential.
I agree mate. Covid must have been rife in Strangeways. I think I read that they had more than 1,000 cases.

Apparently, Covid cases had been rising fast in prisons across Greater Manchester and particularly Strangeways

The 'hotspots' where Covid cases have doubled
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c.../covid-case-rates-greater-manchester-19897254

Adswood in Stockport one of the worst in the NW on that map. One of three magenta areas in GM.

Was running way below that recently.

No wonder there are issues getting the numbers down in Stockport.

Though this is 5 day old data remember not from today and 5 days ago Stockport had fewer cases than it has today.

Not sure if that is good or bad.

Guess we need to watch that map.

Been told that kids are having late night football matches in Adswood. No idea if it is true but if so I thought that was not allowed with the restrictions? Though hard to blame them as they must be stir crazy with no school for weeks and having to watch Stockport County Nil for entertainment otherwise.

Last edited:
Seems like the figures are coming down steadily.
I dont agree with the proposed vaccine passports however, they would be unethical and discriminatory in my opinion..
People should have the right to say no to the vaccine and not be persecuted. But it looks like they will be shut out of society and I dont think that's right.

Adswood in Stockport one of the worst in the NW on that map. One of three magenta areas in GM.

Was running way below that recently.

No wonder there are issues getting the numbers down in Stockport.

Though this is 5 day old data remember not from today and 5 days ago Stockport had fewer cases than it has today.

Not sure if that is good or bad.

Guess we need to watch that map.

Been told that kids are having late night football matches in Adswood. No idea if it is true but if so I thought that was not allowed with the restrictions? Though hard to blame them as they must be stir crazy with no school for weeks and having to watch Stockport County Nil for entertainment otherwise.
I went past a park in Leeds a few days ago and there basketball games taking place, as well a group of skateboarders working on their skills. Like you wrote, I can’t blame the youngsters for wanting a bit of fun with all the boredom of recent months. It’s mainly a student / Uni area so they won’t be worried about passing on the virus to elderly relatives.

I dont agree with the proposed vaccine passports however, they would be unethical and discriminatory in my opinion..
People should have the right to say no to the vaccine and not be persecuted. But it looks like they will be shut out of society and I dont think that's right.
They aren't proposed yet. There is a consideration in issuing certificates. If they are it's far more likely to be used for travel for people that need them. It will be a condition applied by companies and some countries for entry.
I doubt the government would implement them for use in this country, though they may for people re-entering after some travel. So the question is more that many people might need them and something official needs to be available by the government.
Yes you can say no to it but it might limit your travel/holiday options.

Unfortunately it is going to be a choice. And choices often have consequences without them being discriminatory.

Have the vaccine or accept that your choice to not do may limit what you can do if others decide that it puts them at risk.

I agree we should not impose this onto those who prefer not to have it but that choice has to have ramifications otherwise why would lots of people who do not think they are at risk bother to get vaccinated because others who are at risk need them to stay healthy too?

And we only come out of this by protecting the vulnerable as best we can if the vast majority of people will do the right thing here. Not to mention life getting back to normal depending on enough adults doing so to create herd immunity. The vulnerable alone cannot do that. So the normality the non vaxxers crave will only exist if non vaxxers face a consequence for opting out. Otherwise it becomes cake and eat it.

I doubt it will be a universal policy but some places will likely decide that to bring back the people they need to rebuild their business they have to go with the majority. And the overwhelming majority will have the vaccine - that is obvious already - and those who cannot for medical reasons should be exempted. But if you opt out by free choice then I do not see it unfair to expect consequences as your choice to opt out has to be matched alongside the choice of the business involved to do what it thinks most of its clientele will prefer.

After all you have a choice to pass a test and drive a car because a car can hurt people if not used correctly. Or to choose not to do this and get the bus. But not to opt out AND still drive a car and hope you do not hurt anyone a a consequence.

Choices work both ways and inevitably have consequences whichever choice is taken.

I went past a park in Leeds a few days ago and there basketball games taking place, as well a group of skateboarders working on their skills. Like you wrote, I can’t blame the youngsters for wanting a bit of fun with all the boredom of recent months. It’s mainly a student / Uni area so they won’t be worried about passing on the virus to elderly relatives.
I think they are apparently doing this late at night on the assumption the old and vulnerable will not be around then. So if true that is the kind of rule breaking I can accept. At least is not done without regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.