VAR - 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Pingu said the main problem with VAR is that the people reviewing the incidents are the same fools giving wrong decisions on the field.

Now to Mr Mason. Without doubt the worst ref currently in the PL. Once came to our society meeting to give a motivational talk to the young refs. Spent over an hour and a half telling everyone how he played golf with the Brodge & Kenny Dog leash. Then went onto say how famous he was in India, South Africa & Saudi. Hopefully yesterdays balls up might see him being "asked to retire".

VAR is video assisted refereeing. Those assisting the referee are, referees. It is a perpetuating crap circle still making mistakes but taking ages and sucking the joy out of the game. It needs major reform of it is to stay but it has been here for 2 years now trundling along in a sub optimal way still missing major decisions
@Pingu the Penguin I fully appreciate what you say, my comment was more about the idiot in the middle. He is so poor nothing could help him, well maybe a bullet.
I gather he is now injured!!!!! but the week after he will be in charge of VAR. The whole Pigmol set up is a farce.

When it was trialled in the World Cup I thought it was excellent. It didn't stop play and picked up all the assaults and shirt-pulling that goes on at corners. It was a bugbear of mind that some teams got away with murder at corners and it looked that it might be stopped. I still didn't want it in the PL, but I could see that it could help refs particularly when there are a lot of players in the box.

I know refs get a lot of stick, but I happen to think that - on the whole - they do a good job. Sure I'll gripe about a not-given penalty or a tight offside, but the game wasn't stopped and analysed.

What we have now is a disaster. The Brighton goal yesterday summed it up - the ref/VAR 'arguing' about whether it was a goal. I've lost track how many times we've been robbed as well.

It needs scrapping, or if we HAVE to have it it should only be for corners etc. It's killing that feeling you get when you score goals and when that goes, you've killed the game.

When it was trialled in the World Cup I thought it was excellent. It didn't stop play and picked up all the assaults and shirt-pulling that goes on at corners. It was a bugbear of mind that some teams got away with murder at corners and it looked that it might be stopped. I still didn't want it in the PL, but I could see that it could help refs particularly when there are a lot of players in the box.

I know refs get a lot of stick, but I happen to think that - on the whole - they do a good job. Sure I'll gripe about a not-given penalty or a tight offside, but the game wasn't stopped and analysed.

What we have now is a disaster. The Brighton goal yesterday summed it up - the ref/VAR 'arguing' about whether it was a goal. I've lost track how many times we've been robbed as well.

It needs scrapping, or if we HAVE to have it it should only be for corners etc. It's killing that feeling you get when you score goals and when that goes, you've killed the game.
Its international introduction was fine, it saw the things that the on-field ref missed and it "seemed" to work without significantly disrupting the flow of the game because of which aspects of the game it was being used to review; then our corrupt lot at PiGMol got hold of it and decided that instead of implementing it to eradicate "clear and obvious" refereeing errors that they'd use it primarily to provide definitive decisions regarding offside.

They opened a can of worms when they chose to use it for really, really tight offside decisions, probably being too naive to even realising the problems they'd cause because they hadn't researched the application of the technology properly.

The shit show we have regarding VAR is all on their arrogant shoulders.

Unfortunately, there is no going back now.

Its international introduction was fine, it saw the things that the on-field ref missed and it "seemed" to work without significantly disrupting the flow of the game because of which aspects of the game it was being used to review; then our corrupt lot at PiGMol got hold of it and decided that instead of implementing it to eradicate "clear and obvious" refereeing errors that they'd use it primarily to provide definitive decisions regarding offside.

They opened a can of worms when they chose to use it for really, really tight offside decisions, probably being too naive to even realising the problems they'd cause because they hadn't researched the application of the technology properly.

The shit show we have regarding VAR is all on their arrogant shoulders.

Unfortunately, there is no going back now.
Yep pretty much this. How multiple versions of VAR can operate on football is mental

West Ham wouldn’t have beaten Spurs last week if it wasn’t for VAR, a perfectly good goal that the lino incorrectly flagged. And we should scrap it and go back to this ?

For all the VAR controversies, for which there has been many. There is very little talk when there has been so many goals allowed/disallowed CORRECTLY.

The World Cup worked well with VAR because it was 64 games , the PL is having games on TV pretty much daily and with that there is always going to be heightened controversial decisions - problem is even when the correct decision have been given, so many still say ‘what a joke ‘’ ... for what ? All because they’ve done a quick check and got a correct decisions. I’d rather that than all the absolute bonkers decisions refs give without any help, watch a couple of lower league matches without VAR and you realise just how ridiculous some of the decisions are.
just my view of course

Yes you can.

The offence was that the player who took the penalty was the next person to touch the ball after it hit the post.

Had the goalkeeper touched it before the attacker touched it a second time it wouldn't have been an offence. Equally, if a team mate of the penalty taker had scored from the rebound off the post it would have stood.

Not sure the law on this has changed, certainly not in 30 plus years I can recall.

Only time you can't score from a rebound is a penalty shootout.
Sure City had one disallowed at Leeds when the penalty rebounded straight to the taker, early 90s (Peter Reid?)

The offence was that the player who took the penalty was the next person to touch the ball after it hit the post.

Had the goalkeeper touched it before the attacker touched it a second time it wouldn't have been an offence. Equally, if a team mate of the penalty taker had scored from the rebound off the post it would have stood.
True.
Its the same situation where a player can't pass to himself and score or double hit the ball when striking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.