Dortmund (H) - CL QF | Post-Match Thread

We were profligate that’s why we only scored 2, but in your first post you said they were tough to breakdown, with there 4-5-1 system, anyway let’s agree to disagree mate, we won :)
Glad we won, no doubt!

I think our misconnect is that it was a VERY TIGHT first half and then some, with the chances coming later in the second, when they opened up at 1-0 down.

At their place, they know that can play tight for a long period of the game, because they just need 1 goal to go through, and they will get chances.

Believe me, I hope they come out to play expansive football, as that suits us. But, I’m also mindful of the fact that we have played maybe 50% more games than them and an open expansive 90 minutes might start to look bad at the 70 minute mark!

Mainly due to his ability to consistently dig us out of the shit, he rarely makes mistakes but when he occasionally does he's apparently the worst
I’m not really sure why people blame him for their goal. A header from Kev, Gundo flat footed, Bellingham waltzes away from Rodri who makes no attempt... where was Walker to blame.

A smart arse, lovely!

No, we do NOT “need” to score, but Pep doesn’t know how to play 4-5-1, as we have discovered in the QF multiple times! Ergo, we need to get the first goal or else if they score first they will batten down the hatches...because 1 goal is all they need!

My point was that if you think they will come out guns blazing and open wide, then you are mistaken.

In the first half, they played tight football. In the second, you saw how ONE STRAIGHT PASS (a la KDB to Aguero vs Liverpool) cut us open, left us 1 on 1 with Dias vs Haaland, and almost cost us dearly.

While we are certainly NOT in the position of having to score to win, I’m not sure we know how to play any different for 90 mins! 5-10 maybe, at the end of a long game where we are up by 1, but not 90! Therefore, Dortmund don’t NEED to open up and attack us from the get go
Hi it's smart arse here , have read your post a few times and don't really know what your point is. I think you are saying that Dortmund will sit back and try to nik a goal. You think Pep will not expect this as this tactic is only tried by 95% of opposition teams that we face. Am I any closer to understanding your superior knowledge of European second legs.

Anyone who lifts their foot off the ground has their studs up...

That "phrasing" is to imply being reckless or intent not simply kicking the ball.

His were "up" as much as Jesus' when he scored the second part Gladbach

gabriel-jesus-borussia-monchengladbach-manchester-city-champions-league-24-02-2021_1bgrvforvug34136t5ls673lu8.jpg

We got away with it, no denying it, but fuck 'em. We get shafted every year.

Just don't act like it wasn't a shit decision.
If you'd bothered to read my original post, you'd see that my very first statement was "I'd be upset if we'd had a goal like that ruled out". But thanks for supporting the only point I was making with my subsequent posts, which was that his studs were up, (just like Jesus's studs were up in your example).

You said that Uefa might have a word with the officials before the next match to even things up.
I don't think that will happen.
The CAS case was heavily against City. This was done via rules and regulations, tribunal etc. though.
No I didn't, I said I think we'll have more control in the next game actually. If you'd have read the reply I responded to you might not have got the wrong end of the stick. What followed was mostly sarcasm because of what we've had to put up with in the past. Those saying there's been just as many go in City's favour are in la la land, dreaming things up because they didn't want to see it. Those "incompetitent mistakes" against City were too frequent and followed an all too convenient pattern of always occurring in the knockout games in my opinion. That's the past though.

A referee "mistake" early in the first half of the next leg would change the complexion of the tie and it would be suspect... but that's not what I think will happen. In seasons gone by it wouldn't surprise me but as I've already said, the past two seasons we can have few complaints.

I'm not one of the people who says we should sack the CL off because it's corrupt, far from it. I think it's important that City remain in it for the success of the club and I hope we win it.

Last edited:
Forgive me for not giving a fuck about the disallowed goal for Dortmund.

Bad decisions against us -

vs Monaco - Serge no pen /no red card when fouled when clean through.

vs Liverpool - Offside opening goal, wrongly ruled offside goal for Jesus, no pen for a foul on Sterling, wrongly ruled offside goal for Sane.

vs Spurs - Handball winner - Another replay not shown to the official showed the ball hit the scorers elbow.

vs Lyon - Laporte fouled in the build up to Lyon going ahead.
yep we were due a bit of luck in this .

Glad we won, no doubt!

I think our misconnect is that it was a VERY TIGHT first half and then some, with the chances coming later in the second, when they opened up at 1-0 down.

At their place, they know that can play tight for a long period of the game, because they just need 1 goal to go through, and they will get chances.

Believe me, I hope they come out to play expansive football, as that suits us. But, I’m also mindful of the fact that we have played maybe 50% more games than them and an open expansive 90 minutes might start to look bad at the 70 minute mark!
Control the ball as we can and better than we did yesterday. Slow it down so we dictate the pace of the game. The chances will come for us and we will take at least a couple. There is no home advantage this season so the best team normally wins. Genuinely I think we will win this tie by three goal margin at least.

Yes he has, but even him was a bit nervous when he didn't control the ball as good as he can and gave Bellingham the time to get to it first.
No clownery in a CL QF. Kick it up the stands, no problem.

We have to reduce mistakes dramatically to get to the final (finally) and the reason is located between our ears.

Anyway, we did improve compared to former nervy CL performances.
We have to reduce that attitude bit by bit til we are ready to boss those matches like - sorry to say - Bayern often did (not sure about tonight though). Our learning curve is just a bit longer...
2nd para, Mrs big gaz says thats my dick, so you saying only Walker knows what to do ;-)

Glad we won, no doubt!

I see what you're saying but to counter that, a draw and they go out. They need score more than we do. So we can afford to show more patience than they can and wait for our moment. Having said that, if we score early I can see their heads dropping, so I hope we do that instead.

Last edited:
Well I enjoyed the game last night, got the win and on an other night should have had one or two more goals.
1 - Hope that was Eddie getting it out of his system
2 - Gundog nice assist but stop looking at them yellow shirts and Reus with love in your eyes.
3 - Rodders wake up son, you're better than that.
4 - Do Kev and Bernie fit in the same starting 11 ?
5 - Foden roasted their right back good sign for the 2nd leg.
I said I liked Reus in the post match thread and that was a nice goal he took. Should be a great next game, but lets batter dirty Leeds first.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.