City v Ipswich 1981 FA Cup Semi

went to this, was in the holte end near to the top, when we were 1-0 up I kept asking a copper who was near me, how many minutes left, at the end he told me to fuck and watch the game. on way out and going to the car, we met Eddie large in his blue roller and he jumped out and had a dance with us. had to go to my mate's mams in Leicester and on our way back on the M1 we saw a few Leeds coaches coming back from arsenal, and we had our scarfs out of windows and the Leeds fans were throwing beer cans at us

went to this, was in the holte end near to the top, when we were 1-0 up I kept asking a copper who was near me, how many minutes left, at the end he told me to fuck and watch the game. on way out and going to the car, we met Eddie large in his blue roller and he jumped out and had a dance with us. had to go to my mate's mams in Leicester and on our way back on the M1 we saw a few Leeds coaches coming back from arsenal, and we had our scarfs out of windows and the Leeds fans were throwing beer cans at us
Beef with Leeds and the old bill, dancing with Eddie Large by his blue roller. 10,000 Bert points earned

18 at the time . A few of us travelled down on one of the two cool cats coaches that travelled down that day . Ended up in a pub with a few coaches loads of the Cheltenham blues . There was a wedding reception due to take place inside and the city fans gave the bride and groom a noisy guard of honour as they entered the premises ! Stood half way down the Holte End next to the Ipswich fans . Mayhem when that ball hit the back of the net . We actually started celebrating before the ball even crossed the line as we could see Cooper wasn't getting anywhere near it ! After the game a load of the lads from our coach steamed a local offy and we even managed to get bricked by a load of locals as we passed a cemetery not far from Villa Park . Finally got got back to our coach and managed to get a few miles towards the M6 before a few of the lads spotted a few locals who`d been giving us shit earlier . Rear emergency doors swung open as half the coach gave chase , soon catching the culprits and giving them a good kicking for their cheek. One losing his sheepskin coat ! Both coaches then got pulled over by the police over said incident before letting us get back on a our way home a hour or so later . Quite an eventful day really . Only seems like yesterday . Not bloody 39 years ago f`Christ sake ! Does anyone remember the Villa fans kicking off in the Ipswich section ?

I went by car with three mates. the driver thought he would be clever and exited the motorway via the junction designated for the Ipswich fans. Some posters have said most of the Ipswich fans they saw were families. The group that chased us back to our car must have come from one big ugly family unit. We were stood half way up the terraces behind the goal and saw Powers shot sail in. Brilliant, cue manic celebrations. Took the four of us about 5 minutes to gather together again.

Best bit was following the City coach back down the motorway, overtaking at regular intervals and leaning out of the windows to wave to the boys. They were having a ball as you might imagine.

Ended up in some dive called the Sun Inn, Crewe - Earle Street I think.

81 eventually turned out to be a great year with some great days out until the end of the competitions. We were robbed in both.

Some years later I ended up player and team scouting for John Benson who came up to City with Bond. I know he’s not too fondly remembered on here but he really was a top man. Sadly he’s dead now but he told me some belting stories which I might share on here one day.

Went with a bunch of mates. Half of us ended up at the top of the Holt End, right next to the Ipswich fans. The other half went down to the bottom of the stand.

Never thought any more of it until we were on the train to Wembley for the final. One of my mates was looking through the FA Cup final special edition of Match Magazine. There in the review of the semi final was a picture of Paul Power’s shot hitting the next and my mates clearly visible in the picture in the Holt End! Happy days!

went to this game with a mate (who has sadly passed away) on the train. He had a ticket I didn't couldn't get in at the end he went in so tried the Holt end and got in. Remember the goal, celebrations and not much else. Fuck me that was a long time ago. That was around the time I left our house on a Saturday morning with 4p and ended up sneaking on the City special to Norwich watching City and coming home with £1.50 after nicking some programs and selling them on.

Turned 16 during that season and went nearly all cup games (fa and league cup) home and away. Sneaked out of school to go and queue up on the monday after everton draw to get ticket for the replay (iirc) when draw was made and remember feeling gutted that we had drawn Ipswich in the semi. Got a ticket for the Ipswich game but my uncle bribed me to give him by getting me a job at his place. He stood outside the interview room with his hand out waiting for me afterwards. Was gutted i didnt go whilst listening to it on Piccadilly but elated we were going wembley for my first trip there. Got jumped that year by a load of forest fans at Newark services on way to Peterborough despite there being five coach loads of us with travel club. Was one of the last to return to coach - never made that mistake again. Also remember wembley ticket costing £4 and my schoolmate who went to all the games with me not being able to get a ticket but paying the turnstile guy £2 to double up.

We ended up in the Nags Head, down below the A556 on the way into Bowdon and the landlord was a bit wary because he thought we were passing through for a single pint and he was thinking of his Easter customers.
He got us wrong as we almost drank him dry and had the popular at the time Chicken in a Basket to soak up the beer.
We got a complimentary Cadburys Egg which l thought might be good as a peace offering when l got home very pissed and late. I was told to stick it. A great day.

We ended up in the Nags Head, down below the A556 on the way into Bowdon and the landlord was a bit wary because he thought we were passing through for a single pint and he was thinking of his Easter customers.
He got us wrong as we almost drank him dry and had the popular at the time Chicken in a Basket to soak up the beer.
We got a complimentary Cadburys Egg which l thought might be good as a peace offering when l got home very pissed and late. I was told to stick it. A great day.
I was too excited to go straight home after getting to our 1st FA Cup Final since 1969, so along with my younger brother and his 2 mates we decided to go for a couple of beers to celebrate City's great win.
I rang the girlfriend (she became my wife 1 week later) and told her we were stuck in traffic on the M6, whereas in reality we were in the Roebuck on Alkrington.
It took me about 10 years before I fessed up to my little white lie.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.