Borussia Dortmund (A) - CL QF | Post-Match Thread

It should be straight, if it hits your hand/arm in any way its a foul (unless your the goalkeeper)
But then you end up with the VAR magnifying glass checking whether it did slightly brush off a players shoulder or not (think of Laporte header vs Spurs a few years ago).

The rule just needs clearing up, if it comes off the player and deflects onto the arm it's not a pen unless the arm is in an unnatural position. (which I think is the common sense the VAR referees used last night).

I'm a bit puzzled by some on here who thought we had a poor first half. We had a very timid start for some reason, but after Dortmund scored - and fair play the young lad took his chance well - I thought we dominated from that point. At HT and 0-1, hitting the bar and one cleared off the line, you're thinking "is it one of those nights?". But massive credit second half, we came out and controlled the game. The penalty was nailed on....there's no debate. The arm was in the most unnatural position possible and the slight touch from head to arm doesn't alter the fact the ball was hitting the arm anyway. Great strike for the second goal, what else can you say. The best thing about this? We played to our strengths, concentrated on what we could do and never hit the panic button. Players and manager showed they trust each other to deliver.
Agree , we dominated after Dortmund scored , our players showed spirit and purpose in abundance as for the penalty it wasnt even in question , why VAR to so long i have no idea they were probably on the phone to Cerferin asking can they allow the penalty , they obviously didnt get through to him.

But then you end up with the VAR magnifying glass checking whether it did slightly brush off a players shoulder or not (think of Laporte header vs Spurs a few years ago).

The rule just needs clearing up, if it comes off the player and deflects onto the arm it's not a pen unless the arm is in an unnatural position. (which I think is the common sense the VAR referees used last night).

The rule does i agree.

First thing out of my mouth to my lads after the replay was “keeper should have saved it” and I promise you I’m a blue.
It’s a usual instant reaction to anything that goes in at the near post. I’ve heard ex pro keepers say that it’s a myth and is a bugbear to them that they should never get beat there. They’re out of position if they’re too tight to the post and Sometimes the shot is so good that getting there and making a save is very difficult. Like Sane’s at Anfield a couole of year‘s back, my honest first reaction last night was “how well has he hit that?”. It was a superbly struck, sweet misile of a shot for me and the keeper made every effort to get there.

Last edited:
Still on cloud nine from last night, thought we were excellent, we looked well in control for 90% of the match, think they decided to try and close us down quick at every opportunity, they did the same in the first game, but no team in the world could keep that tempo chasing the ball for a full game. Great work blues

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.