Squad rotation for the run in.

I take the point about Klopp hammering his players and I also appreciate how well we are doing in fighting for so many changes But the wholesale changes v Leeds and Chelsea did not work. Look how they compared to the Dortmund game where we had our best team. I just think in the league we should play our best team As for the squad if we are to rest our best players are there not one or two youngsters who could feature? (Preferably those who play in attack)

I take the point about Klopp hammering his players and I also appreciate how well we are doing in fighting for so many changes But the wholesale changes v Leeds and Chelsea did not work. Look how they compared to the Dortmund game where we had our best team. I just think in the league we should play our best team As for the squad if we are to rest our best players are there not one or two youngsters who could feature? (Preferably those who play in attack)
Fighting for so many trophies

The wholesale changes for complete line ups is too aggressive, especially for a game (and competition) that allows 5 subs.

We could have played basically the same team as against Dortmund with a few changes, then used the subs to rest those 5 players that either needed it or were not performing on the day. Simples.

Instead, Pep picked players who have not been performing and put out the weakest core he could against a team that controls the core.

It was a poor tactical plan executed by a poor team of disjointed players who have never played together before. Throw in a stupid, basic error from the keeper, and you have a bad loss against a team that didn’t even have a shot in the first 45 mins, even though we were absolute garbage!

PEP’S TEAM SELECTION lost the game before it even started, and even as he watched it unfold he was too stubborn to change it.

##########

I have a text conversation with my brother & sister during games.

This was my half time “punditry:”

They’re playing with Reese and Chilwell in the wide positions on whichever “line” is active at the time.

That means a 5-2-3 becomes a 3-4-3, and then a 3-2-5. Lose the ball and it reverts back to 3-4-3 to try to stop us getting out, then 5-2-3/5-3-2 if we get past the initial block. Mount is playing the attacker/midfielder in the middle of the park when they’re in transition.

City are being blunted because we are so slow in our build up, but then not enough players in attack IF we get in behind.

Feel like any goal for us is going to come from someone getting in behind and pulling it back, even as far back as the penalty spot/edge of the box!

Sterling has just completely lost whatever it was that some people said he had!

Torres has only been slightly better on the right, tbh.

Just no service upfront, and KDB is running himself ragged between the lines.

Hate to even mention the word “hamstring,” but we NEED a player who can step in for him at times.

Game’s crying out for Gundo and Foden in a 4-4-2 that allows Foden & KDB to get forward, and Mendy off & Walker on.

5 subs in 3 stops in FA Cup IIRC, so...that means we won’t use any!!

Last edited:
We lost.
But if at the end of the season, 4 trophies turns to 1 or even 0, at least he can say 'i trust my guys. My guys. I love my guys'.
The 0 scenario will happen if he had played his best team against Chelsea yesterday and still lost.
The 1 (PL) scenario is still a success. You would bite my hand off if I were to offer it to you beginning of season right. Remember the time when we were nowhere near Liverpool and we just bought that unproven defender from Portugal?
At least now we have good chance against Villa. I'm not convinced he'll play his best team vs Spurs.

We lost.
But if at the end of the season, 4 trophies turns to 1 or even 0, at least he can say 'i trust my guys. My guys. I love my guys'.
Yes that's the way I look at it too. We've done it through trusting everyone as being good enough for MCFC and then giving them the opportunity.

We all know that there is a best XI but at the same time in this most demanding of seasons it is a squad game.

You make a very big mistake if you start a season of 60 games and plan to play your strongest side every game. That is the road to disaster. It is called the Anfield road and its disciple is Jurgen Klopp.

A battle was lost yesterday but VE day is close! CTID

For me yesterday’s performance showed:

Mendys career at City is finished. Rotate Ake and Zinchenko for the remaining games

Jesus has had a good run of games, that we all thought he needed and has shown to be too lightweight, he works hard but his results are bang average (I prefer him when he plays out wide but he’s not getting ahead of Foden/Mahrez)

Sterling is ridiculously out of form. I definitely believe this is our system, there is so little chance to be spontaneous with our system and unfortunately this is where he thrives. If he has to think about it he invariably makes the wrong decisions

Torres has been under-whelming... not one to be written off yet but despite some CL goals he has failed to impress in his first season

Cancelos drop in form is alarming. Was looking like a candidate for player of the season a couple of months ago and looks way off the pace at the moment (is he sulking again that Walker is back in front of him)

For me yesterday’s performance showed:

Mendys career at City is finished. Rotate Ake and Zinchenko for the remaining games

Jesus has had a good run of games, that we all thought he needed and has shown to be too lightweight, we works hard but his results are bang average (I prefer him when he plays out wide but he’s not getting ahead of Foden/Mahrez)

Sterling is ridiculously out of form. I definitely believe this is our system, there is so little chance to be spontaneous with our system and unfortunately this is where he thrives. If he has to think about it he invariably makes the wrong decisions

Torres has been under-whelming... not one to be written off yet but despite some CL goals he has failed to impress in his first season

Cancelos drop in form is alarming. Was looking like a candidate for player of the season a couple of months ago and looks way off the pace at the moment (is he sulking again that Walker is back in front of him)
We have a squad of 20 senior players. They will fluctuate in form over 60 odd games but in this season more than any other the squad is important. If you want to discard the squad at the end you will be dishonest to them and they will not play for you again. Be fair and give opportunity to all when it matters then they will remember you for it and give you everything.

Manchester city approached this season differently and this is a big reason why we are top. We have the best players but we also got everything from our squad.

The wholesale changes for complete line ups is too aggressive, especially for a game (and competition) that allows 5 subs.

We could have played basically the same team as against Dortmund with a few changes, then used the subs to rest those 5 players that either needed it or were not performing on the day. Simples.

Instead, Pep picked players who have not been performing and put out the weakest core he could against a team that controls the core.

It was a poor tactical plan executed by a poor team of disjointed players who have never played together before. Throw in a stupid, basic error from the keeper, and you have a bad loss against a team that didn’t even have a shot in the first 45 mins, even though we were absolute garbage!

PEP’S TEAM SELECTION lost the game before it even started, and even as he watched it unfold he was too stubborn to change it.
It is what I affectionately call 'Big Game Pep'.
In the FA cup / CL games against teams that are 'so so good' and now the league Derbies Pep does random shit, changes the way we play and 9/10 games we lose.

Fascinating how the team are tired, he makes 8 changes and then only makes 2/5 subs.

I just hope Pep doesn't see the Villa game as a big game because if he does in the space of 10 days our lead will be down to 5 points.

The only way you get 100% out of your squad in this most demanding of seasons is by using them all and being fair to all. That way you get loyalty and everything from your players. If you view this game in isolation then the selection was the most stupid in history, but if you view it in the context of the entire season it makes perfect sense.

Look at the team selection over the Dortmund and Chelsea semi-final. Do you see what Pep did? Now ask yourself is this sensible?

If it was a 38 game season played over 35 weekends no. But if it's a 38 game sason played over 19 weekends then yes. You start the season, and you say to yur squad, this is what we have to do, and this is how we are going to do it, and you will all play your part etc etc

You can`t justify throwing a semi final of the FA Cup and the Quadruple away with such contempt by playing possible the worst disconnected team selection I have ever seen. Then Playing our leading assist maker by a mile in a solo midfield creative role. It was insanity and Kev and City will possibly pay the price. I`d like to know if you will be clapping so happily if Pep decides to toss off the Villa and Spurs games.

To throw a semi final of the fa Cup is unforgivable in my eyes. It was obvious from the get go yesterday thar we would get fuck all out of this game. Making that many changes and only making 2 subs is bad management. We could end up with fuck all .Nothing is guaranteed. Chasing this european cup is fucking tedious. It's like wasting your life turning every nice girl down because she isn't Pamela Anderson. Win the match you are playing and not the one next week.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.